Author Topic: Outer Primary Cover ?  (Read 667 times)

Online sandrooney

• Site Supporter
Outer Primary Cover ?
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:45:44 AM »
I am looking for a polished alum outer primary cover for an 80/80 Wide Glide. Anybody know what years will fit ?
Thanks
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Offline dirtymike

Re: Outer Primary Cover ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:42:16 AM »
Any 9 hole shovelhead Big twin outer primary will fit. I think the 8 hole are 78 back. They may still fit but leave a void in the gasket. Dirty

Online sandrooney

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:57:51 AM »
Thanks. Years ago I had an 80/80 FLH and my wife had a 76/74 FLH . IIRC the outers were the same. I am old now and CRS so I could be wrong.
Thanks again
SR

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »
Some will have a tab on the front for a floorboard # 60508-82, Mid or forward controls-# 60507-82, Frank

Online sandrooney

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:53:53 AM »
Thanks. Now to find one.

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »
Chrome are all over the place, polished aluminum, check e-bay. I just bought a chrome one from Teds for $71.00 including shipping. Stock HD will be bigger $

Online sandrooney

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
There was one on e bay buy it now for $324.00 , a little pricey. I will check some swaps. I have 2 - chrome ones so not like I have to have it now.
Thanks

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:30 AM »
Polished aluminum is harder to take care of but easier to mate to the inner primary. Look for a OEM aluminum on flea bay, I.ve pick them up less than 100 beers. dirty

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »
Chrome are all over the place, polished aluminum, check e-bay. I just bought a chrome one from Teds for $71.00 including shipping. Stock HD will be bigger $

Be wary of those from Tedd's.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:38:12 AM »
Guys, use PMs for any selling or swapping.

Thanks,
 Mark
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline Ryquo45chisi

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
If your looking for original parts contact Richard at "H&B" cycles in Ocala Florida..he has the shit everyone is looking for....He is on the old dixie hiway just a bit north of state road 40 through silver springs...contact him could be worth it...

Offline Burnout

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »

Be wary of those from Tedd's.

Beware of all third party covers.
Some 8 bolt covers can be drilled for the 9th bolt.
Some covers have the mounting tab for running boards.
Also check the depth of the bearing for the starter jack shaft. A/M took liberties with the placement of the bearing, starter shaft may not reach all the way into the bearing. If the shoulder of the nut that retains the starter clutch on the shaft does not fully engage in the bearing it will wreck the nut and bearing over time, the jack shaft will partially pull out of the starter drive gear if the shaft is not shimmed up. So it's best to find the right cover. I learned this the hard way.
Even though the catalog says it fits, it may not fit happy.
Measure from the gasket surface to the outside of the brass washer to check the cover for fit.

Genuine is best.
It's not easy to find genuine covers any more, one slipped jiffy stand and the cover is junk, the derby cover will not seal. You can glue the derby cover on and never take it off and run one like that.
But If it goes down on that side rolling you can almost certainly throw the cover away.
So that's the first place to look for damage
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Online sandrooney

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 04:16:52 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I will contact HB.

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »
Burnout mentioned the starter jack shaft. I too am trying to swap a chrome outer for an aluminum one I bought on ebay. It has the HD casting numbers in it, so I'm pretty sure it's not aftermarket. I polished it all up, went to put it on, and no go. There is a 1/16th inch gap at the very back, the starter jack shaft was preventing it from going on all the way. I compared my chrome one to the aluminum one, and the boss that the jack shaft bearing sits in is about 1/16th inch closer to the gasket surface than the chrome one, which sits back a bit further.

WTF???

So it's hanging on the wall until I can figure out what combo of parts are needed so the starter jackshaft fits with the aluminum outer. Maybe I need to shim the starter back, or use a different starter housing???

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »
"
"Be wary of those from Tedd's." Right on Scott, the distance from the bearing to the edge of the primary is shorter than the original, starter shaft length stops cover from seating, no way will it mount up. Trying to get a return to Tedds! Frank

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 05:55:46 AM »
when i go to swap meets or browse the web for parts i try to find mate inner and out primary that are intact. It seems that a left side lay down destroys both. I have replaced mine twice. Now i need to learn to weld aluminum. The garage is decorated with primary parts and the derby covers are ash trays. Dirty 

Offline Burnout

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
Burnout mentioned the starter jack shaft. I too am trying to swap a chrome outer for an aluminum one I bought on ebay. It has the HD casting numbers in it, so I'm pretty sure it's not aftermarket. I polished it all up, went to put it on, and no go. There is a 1/16th inch gap at the very back, the starter jack shaft was preventing it from going on all the way. I compared my chrome one to the aluminum one, and the boss that the jack shaft bearing sits in is about 1/16th inch closer to the gasket surface than the chrome one, which sits back a bit further.

WTF???

So it's hanging on the wall until I can figure out what combo of parts are needed so the starter jackshaft fits with the aluminum outer. Maybe I need to shim the starter back, or use a different starter housing???

-JW

Try one of those thick rubber coated starter gaskets made by James that has the shaft seal built in?
Goes between the starter housing and the inner primary.

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:13 AM »
Yep, have one! That was the "shim" I was considering to try, but am trying to understand why these two primaries are different before tearing into it again. Must be some reason HD made two different jackshaft bearing boss depths.

-JW

Offline david lee

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
there would be a lot of non genuine parts that dont fit

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:05 AM »
Guys, use PMs for any selling or swapping.

Thanks,
 Mark
   sorry bout that

Offline Burnout

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
Belt drive primary and final belt drive has goofy parts, different jack shaft and who knows what else.
So you have early and late plus the Sturges model and then throw in the AM stuff and everything goes to shit.
You have to be aware and creative to find solutions.
Getting the right cover that fits well and does not leak is the first concern, you can always refinish a cover.

Offline guppymech

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:48 AM »
As a alternative you could try having the chrome removed from a aftermarket cover.  I took my S&S teardrop aircleaner cover to a chromer and had him remove it with the reverse chroming process.  It worked good but for some reason he couldn't remove the underlying copper plating.  I sanded that off and polished the cover, it turned out good.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Yes, I suppose. But I sure hate to throw good money on bad. Already bought the aluminum cover, already spent the time to polish it up real nice. Now to throw it out and start over.... nah. Just need to figure out why the jackshaft keeps the cover from going on all the way. I think what Burnout mentioned is a big part of it. I'm running a BDL belt drive, so no oil in primary. And the starter is bolted directly to the inner primary. I think spacing it back a little will fix the issue.

-JW

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 05:42:38 AM »
How about machined the housing that the support bearing sits in? If you took the distance measurement that is stopping the cover from mounting, added the thickness of the washer, and milled that off the bearing housing all should be good???? Frank

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
Yes, it might come to that. Will give the starter spacer a try, if that doesn't do it, then off to the machine shop.

-JW