Author Topic: Jets EV27  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Deye76

Re: Jets EV27
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2018, 06:00:47 AM »
"Most Harley riders Harley will never see the other side of 45MPH. Ok that's a small exaggeration"

Indeed a exaggeration. You need to attend a FXR meet, and try and keep up with some of those guys. The majority without AFR gauges, and some fast a$$, well tuned bikes.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »
It is all a compromise.
You cannot have a fast wing that works well at slow speeds.
I shoot for 20K between top ends.That is good enough for me .
This round with raised ports , a 50 deg face on valves and all
 the trimmings I am hoping with a 10.5 static, to see even better results.
1.25 per cube is not asking that much, just in the HD world.
Do I expect it to go a 100K? Nah.
Never have .
 I would get bored and tear it apart and try something new b4 that anyway.
Next time, I believe I will go the AA route with Pro Charger or the like.
It looks on the surface to be cheaper than all I have done NA.
Whooooops the subject meandered again.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2018, 07:45:11 AM »
"Most Harley riders Harley will never see the other side of 45MPH. Ok that's a small exaggeration"

Indeed a exaggeration. You need to attend a FXR meet, and try and keep up with some of those guys. The majority without AFR gauges, and some fast a$$, well tuned bikes.

And then there is me. I have been to a few of the FXR meets and run an AFR gauge, but my bike is usually one of the fastest and most powerful bikes at the Jam.

So that you know, the year before last we connected my AFR gauge to two other bikes at the Jam. Neither of them was even close to  having the correct jets or having the mixture screw set even close. They ran alright, didn't stumble or pop. One was lean, the other bike was rich. Both had been tuned by a local 'Professional'.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2018, 07:50:33 AM »
The AFR gauge usefulness can be compared to how some of the old timers felt about using a timing light on a harley. I can hear my dad now, 'Set those points with a book of matches'. it worked. Not very precise. Certainly would run points on any of my builds. Almost impossible to get repeatable results on a shovel or pan without a dial back timing light. The results of improper timing can usually be seen in the coloring of exhaust pipes.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Online ecir50

• Site Supporter
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »

His point was about using the main jet.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
" One was lean, the other bike was rich. Both had been tuned by a local 'Professional'."

Pretty sure I'd find a different tuner.

"His point was about using the main jet."
Mine too, I assure you the guys I'm talking about were way up on the main jet.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:04:55 PM by Deye76 »
East Tenn.

Offline louloupa

« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2018, 02:47:14 AM »
do you have an explanation why the afr is different between the front and the rear whereas there is only one carb ?

My explanation is the interference in the Y manifold which modifies the filling of the rear cylinder .

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant , it just means someone else will
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2018, 03:11:32 AM »
I can only tell you what has been said for the last 100 years -
The Harley, of course, fires weird  1, 2,  exhaust, intake, 1 and 2 again etc
So one cylinder starts the draw and the second cylinder already has the advantage of the incoming charge.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amateur engineering with bad math.

Offline Burnout

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
Exhaust configuration can have a dramatic effect on VE between cylinders.
This will affect fueling needs, part of the lure of EFI.
Modern Electronic Ignitions are able to adjust the timing split between the cylinders.

And remember when talking of AFR readings you are looking at an imaginary number like horsepower.
AFR readings are made after the fact and computed (assumed) from the O2 content of the exhaust.
Combustion chamber efficiency also comes into play. An ignition missfire will show lean, a rich missfire will show lean.
AFRs observed are indicative of combustion results not the amount of fuel delivered.
Observed readings are also subject to sampling strategies as well as contamination by backflow.
On the dyno we used to joke about the 60" long sampling tube we used being in far enough if we could feel the valve moving!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »

Most Harley riders are not riding FXR's either, most are riding what HD sold in the last few years. Most are riding current production baggers with no mods, at least what I see when I am out. And yep, few of them see 75 MPH, let alone 100 plus.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »

Most Harley riders are not riding FXR's either, most are riding what HD sold in the last few years. Most are riding current production baggers with no mods, at least what I see when I am out. And yep, few of them see 75 MPH, let alone 100 plus.

The good looking, well hung, highly intelligent ones are.  :beer:

Offline Deye76

« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
Poor, hard to tell if your speaking of my post or Thumpers from which I quoted, either way this thread is nearly 4 months old.

" Most are riding current production baggers with no mods," 
Wow you know what most has or hasn't done to their bikes. You are all knowing. Hilarious seeing many posts on HTT are about guys modifying their bikes.
East Tenn.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Poor, hard to tell if your speaking of my post or Thumpers from which I quoted, either way this thread is nearly 4 months old.

" Most are riding current production baggers with no mods," 
Wow you know what most has or hasn't done to their bikes. You are all knowing. Hilarious seeing many posts on HTT are about guys modifying their bikes.

Both! My point was most riders are not riding FXR's and I see more unmodified baggers in my area than anything else.

I also do not believe that HTT is a good sampling of the average HD rider. Most are here because they like to mess around and modify their bikes.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!