Author Topic: Harley: Twinscan 4  (Read 901 times)

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
Twinscan 4
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »
Check out the new twinscan 4, some nice new features for a decent price. http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan4.html
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Offline Prostock

Re: Twinscan 4
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »
Nice to see we can upgrade our Twinscan 3 to 4 for a buck fourty.  Have to send unit in but no big deal.

Offline Rockout Rocker Products

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
The pricing is a little confusing to me. I have a '15 Limited.... will the $511 model do the ABS cycling? I think the dealer charges $250 for that alone.

Thanks  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »
The pricing is a little confusing to me. I have a '15 Limited.... will the $511 model do the ABS cycling? I think the dealer charges $250 for that alone.

Thanks  :beer:
Yes, along with a bunch of other handy options.

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »
 :up: Thanks

Offline Herko

• Southern Indiana (Louisville KY Metro Area)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:51:56 AM »
Some nice additions with the TS4.
The 15600 kit continues to offer a lot of tuning tool power for a serious tuning facility.
The Real Time Engine Data Display...doesn't get any better.
At-a-glance parameters using sliding cursors instead of multiple grid boxes with rolling numbers.
Couple these DTT log files with MyTune and you're golden.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 10:36:02 AM »
Got one in yesterday and immediately used the fuel tank drain feature, couldn't be any easier to understand. Great product for the money.

Offline twincamzz

• 1961 Duo-Glide , 2017 Ultra Limited Low
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »
I have a 2017 Limited and would like to be able to "activate" the valves in the ABS module as part of a brake fluid flush/refill procedure. Already have a mighty vac for fluid exchange. I am aware that the twin scan 4 can do this and a lot more. All I really care about is the ABS part though. The twin scan 3ABS tool did just that, however a dealer told me that the twin scan3 will not work with a 2017 Limited. Twin scan 3 is for CANBUS, so I am curious why it would not work for my motorcycle ? Just being cheap I reckon, but there is about $100.00 difference in price between the two units and I really don't need all the capabilities of twin scan4.

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
I'd call Daytona Twin Tech and ask them. Their site says 2014+ touring bikes.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan3.html
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline rbabos

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
I have a 2017 Limited and would like to be able to "activate" the valves in the ABS module as part of a brake fluid flush/refill procedure. Already have a mighty vac for fluid exchange. I am aware that the twin scan 4 can do this and a lot more. All I really care about is the ABS part though. The twin scan 3ABS tool did just that, however a dealer told me that the twin scan3 will not work with a 2017 Limited. Twin scan 3 is for CANBUS, so I am curious why it would not work for my motorcycle ? Just being cheap I reckon, but there is about $100.00 difference in price between the two units and I really don't need all the capabilities of twin scan4.
That's odd. Twinscan 2 is for J1850 and 3 is for CanBus, which is what you should have.
The issue might be a Dealer told you. :wink:
Ron

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
I'll be servicing my ABS next weekend thanks to California Phil  :up: :up:

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
Got one in yesterday and immediately used the fuel tank drain feature, couldn't be any easier to understand. Great product for the money.

Fuel tank drain Is VERY nice .. For some like shops its is time saver . For the DIY guy maybe not so much.. 
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline twincamzz

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
I'd call Daytona Twin Tech and ask them. Their site says 2014+ touring bikes.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan3.html

Good advice, and that's just what I did. Twinscan3ABS works with my motorcycle just fine. Didn't mean to highjack thread.

Offline rbabos

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »
Yup. A piece of wire on the pump. It's free.

Fuel tank drain Is VERY nice .. For some like shops its is time saver . For the DIY guy maybe not so much..
Yup. A piece of wire on the pump. It's free.
Ron
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:55:32 PM by rbabos »

Offline TXCHOP

• Dan's MC Shop
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
Anyone use tablets with TS? Or just laptops. I have a laptop running but was curious If any tablets were functional.

Offline twincamzz

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
After giving this purchase a lot of thought I decided to go with the Twinscan4 rather than the Twinscan3ABS. Lifetime updates on product and a great price from California Phil made the decision pretty easy really ! I will be certain to post if I have any questions.

Offline twincamzz

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
I received my Twinscan 4 in the mail this week from California Phil. The package came with a CD dated February 2018 for downloading the software and the USB drivers required along with instructions on how to set everything up, which were clear enough even a caveman like me can do it.  I followed them to the letter and felt confident that I had done them correctly. The instructions say that you can check the connection of the Twinscan4 to the PC without being connected to the bike, so I gave it a try, unsuccessfully. I looked everything over again & could not see where I had goofed, but figured it had to be something I had done wrong. I called Daytona Twin Tec at number listed in their instructions and explained everything I had done in detail and was given another # to contact their tech department for assistance. I call the number & it turns out to be the guy that wrote the Twinscan4 program. I explained the problem to him and ended up giving him remote access to my laptop so he could have a look for himself while we were on phone together. I had indeed downloaded & installed everything correctly and he too was puzzled why it would not communicate with my PC. He asked me to let him think about it a bit and call me back. While I waited for his call, I remembered that Daytona Twin Tec also supplies "the latest, most updated" software and driver downloads on line, so I uninstalled everything I had previously downloaded off the CD & redid everything from the web. Just as I was completing that the programmer called back. He agreed that redoing everything thing online was best, to eliminate any possible problems with the CD. He then proceeded to get back on my PC & as he was clicking from table to table checking the values entered I heard him say... AHA !! I found the problem. 2 problems actually as there were two different tables with negative 21,xxxxx values entered. He made the values in both tables 0 & that was all it took. Everything now works as it should !

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Since I had used the downloads available on web I would hope that they would soon be corrected. Not positive if the CD contained the same two errors because the programmer guy didn't think to look in these specific areas the first time round, but he said they were probably on Feb2108 CD as that was the latest release.

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.... I'll be trying mine this weekend, also thanks to California Phil  :up: :up:

=edit=

I went ahead & installed the software in a Win 7 laptop. Can't say the instructions exactly matched the steps involved but close enough that anyone can do it. The laptop found the Twinscan & all is good.

I installed from the included CD.

Looking forward to doing my ABS service this weekend!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:50:02 PM by Rockout Rocker Products »

• Premium Vendor
  • www.rockout.biz
    • www.rockout.biz
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »
Deed is done. Went as I always hope things do.... uneventfully.

Fluid was a golden color.... kind of a disappointment  :hyst: I was hoping for dirty, nasty, watery... lol

The procedure did alert me to the fact my battery is not all that it should be.... ran down during the procedure. The ignition (and lights) have to be on. I took a break about half way through. When I returned & turned the ignition on the security alarm went off. Did this over & over, same thing. Looked up & noticed the volt meter dead. The manual does warn to have a battery charger hooked up the whole time, I guess my little tender wasn't up for it. Once charged things went smoothly from there.

Calling Dr. Phil :)

OK, strayed enough from the topic.

Oh, and there's this... 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline twincamzz

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »
just for the heck of it when I was talking to the programmer of the twinscan4 last week I asked if he could work on getting the thing to actually let us see the oil pressure on 2017 & 2018 touring models. He owned a 2014 Ultra and a 2017 Ultra, so he could see the need. Man said he thought it was more of a hardware problem on bike as it does not ( according to him) have an actual oil pressure switch, just some electric switch of sorts. Was hoping he might also want this on his 2017, so maybe he can figure out a way around this.

Can anyone confirm the absence of an oil pressure switch on the 2017 & 2018 Touring models ?

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:21 AM »
It has a pressure switch.. I love the message you get ..  oil pressure   OK  :hyst: :hyst:
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline BVHOG

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
A couple things, make sure the latency setting on your com port is set to 2  (16 is default) as this can cause connection problems. Also some of the very early units did not have the proper hardware internally and do not have the proper voltage for the new system. It's a simple test if you end up having connection problems.  The guy you talked to is Dave, he is a good guy and listens to his customers. I am trying to get him to get the real time TP % setting more in line with what most tuners use for break points.  I like the idea of oil pressure on the screen, even if we had to plug in an external plug. Could probably do it with the Power core win 8 setup.  I think oil pressure "OK" means it has at least 2 lbs :dgust:

Online Hilly13

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 12:19:26 AM »
Some nice additions with the TS4.
The 15600 kit continues to offer a lot of tuning tool power for a serious tuning facility.
The Real Time Engine Data Display...doesn't get any better.
At-a-glance parameters using sliding cursors instead of multiple grid boxes with rolling numbers.
Couple these DTT log files with MyTune and you're golden.
It does look good Herko, might be my next unit down the track, irks me having to go to the dealer for the abs and since the SE software won't advance anymore my time with it will come to an end in the not too distant future. Rather than ask here I will ask my questions in a seperate thread as other brands will pop up.
Just because its said don't make it so

Offline Durwood

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 02:52:18 AM »
A couple things, make sure the latency setting on your com port is set to 2  (16 is default) as this can cause connection problems. Also some of the very early units did not have the proper hardware internally and do not have the proper voltage for the new system. It's a simple test if you end up having connection problems.  The guy you talked to is Dave, he is a good guy and listens to his customers. I am trying to get him to get the real time TP % setting more in line with what most tuners use for break points.  I like the idea of oil pressure on the screen, even if we had to plug in an external plug. Could probably do it with the Power core win 8 setup.  I think oil pressure "OK" means it has at least 2 lbs :dgust:
I have mentioned the TPS break point's to Dave a couple of times as well, and he said that he would look into it. Maybe between us it will show up in a new release down the road.

Oil pressure on the screen would be a nice addition.

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 04:58:18 AM »
I have mentioned the TPS break point's to Dave a couple of times as well, and he said that he would look into it. Maybe between us it will show up in a new release down the road.

Oil pressure on the screen would be a nice addition.

You guys are not the only ones to ask about this, maybe there will be enough demand to get it done. A good tool can always be made better.