Author Topic: Harley: Need 124" starter map  (Read 411 times)

Offline les

Need 124" starter map
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
Built a 124".  I've got an SE super pro tuner and would like to get my hands on a starter map I can use for break in, before I get it tuned.

2011 Road King
124"  (4 5/8" stroke)
HP Inc. 62mm throttle body; 6.2 gps injectors
2.000" intake valves; 1.8" intake ports
T-Man 660 PS cams
Boarzilla 2-1
Static compression 10.8:1

lesgf@roadrunner.com

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
Re: Need 124" starter map
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
Maybe contact the guy that will be tuning it, he should have something. But I would have the tuner break it in anyway, I would only run heat cycles. And then once around the block to insure all is well.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
Built a 124".  I've got an SE super pro tuner and would like to get my hands on a starter map I can use for break in, before I get it tuned.

2011 Road King
124"  (4 5/8" stroke)
T-Man 660 PS cams
Boarzilla 2-1

lesgf@roadrunner.com

les you seem like a great guy and you have a lot of time and money in this engine.
Do yourself a favor, start it to make sure you have no leaks and then truck it to a professional tuner of your choice and have it tuned. Most damage to a new engine happens between start up and the first 30 minutes of run time.
If the map is off and you heat cycle with one cycle at 11:1 or one cylinder at 15:1 you have wasted a lot of time and money.

Offline les

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am having my local Indy search their database for a similar map, but looking elsewhere too because I don't know if they will find one.  I'm wondering of one of the 120R maps from the SERT library might be close enough.

Offline rbabos

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »

2011 Road King
124"  (4 5/8" stroke)
T-Man 660 PS cams
Boarzilla 2-1

lesgf@roadrunner.com

les you seem like a great guy and you have a lot of time and money in this engine.
Do yourself a favor, start it to make sure you have no leaks and then truck it to a professional tuner of your choice and have it tuned. Most damage to a new engine happens between start up and the first 30 minutes of run time.
If the map is off and you heat cycle with one cycle at 11:1 or one cylinder at 15:1 you have wasted a lot of time and money.
Too rich will trash it a whole lot faster. Lean at idle , for low time heat cycling is pretty non dramatic.
Ron

Online 1FSTRK

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »

2011 Road King
124"  (4 5/8" stroke)
T-Man 660 PS cams
Boarzilla 2-1

lesgf@roadrunner.com

Too rich will trash it a whole lot faster. Lean at idle , for low time heat cycling is pretty non dramatic.
Ron

The thing I see is that down the road when problems occur nobody can prove it originated at start up. I can't prove that heat cycling with a lean cylinder will heat things to the point the ring gaps line up or that it will make one cylinder crank less pressure than it should, or that it makes an engine that will always have wet breathers but I know when every engine is started on the dyno with all possible sensors hooked up and running these types of things do not occur sooner or later. These days it is just foolish to guess at these things when the equipment is available to do it right.
Those that do not have and use the equipment will argue all day that it is not necessary but those that have the equipment and know how to use it do so every time they start a new build.

Offline 98fxstc

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:11:24 PM »
The SE Super Pro Tuner may not be adequate for the 124"
Unless it is already married to the bike I would be looking at TTS or PV (based on the advice of your Tuner)

Offline Herko

• Southern Indiana (Louisville KY Metro Area)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »
Find a tuner guy that is properly equipped and experienced in heat cycling/break-in on the Dyno while simultaneously beginning the initial phases of the tuning process.
Trailer it to him to gain peace of mind and then enjoy the rewards of your build.
Using a TTS or PV with adequate access to the ECM should definitely be considered.
The tune phase of your build plan is not the place to make compromises.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Offline rigidthumper

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 06:53:30 AM »
Unless it is already married to the bike I would be looking at TTS or PV (based on the advice of your Tuner)
While I do not like the SESPT as much, it will work OK, as long as you understand it's limitations.
I would start with the 044SDO209A, adjusted for displacement  & injector. This base map is designed for a 120" ( 4.060" bore by 4.625" stroke) @ 10.5 with intake cam timing of 19/47, 246 duration, and the cam you are using is 20/46, 246 duration.
I believe all data should be monitored as well, so adjustments can be made asap. Initial heat cycles should be the first opportunity to start editing the map.

Offline les

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
While I do not like the SESPT as much, it will work OK, as long as you understand it's limitations.
I would start with the 044SDO209A, adjusted for displacement  & injector. This base map is designed for a 120" ( 4.060" bore by 4.625" stroke) @ 10.5 with intake cam timing of 19/47, 246 duration, and the cam you are using is 20/46, 246 duration.
I believe all data should be monitored as well, so adjustments can be made asap. Initial heat cycles should be the first opportunity to start editing the map.

Thank you, and thanks for all comments submitted.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
If you get stuck I may have something .. But I would suggest having a pro take care of that for you.. If I had nothing I would use a 120 map as the base and go from there . The heat cycle break in is open to opinion or sure ..  As for it harming it , well it would have to be very off to wash down the cylinder or over heat it on a short heat cycle.. 

Look forward to see the dyno sheet  :up:
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline les

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
If you get stuck I may have something .. But I would suggest having a pro take care of that for you.. If I had nothing I would use a 120 map as the base and go from there . The heat cycle break in is open to opinion or sure ..  As for it harming it , well it would have to be very off to wash down the cylinder or over heat it on a short heat cycle.. 

Look forward to see the dyno sheet  :up:

Thanks, GMR.  I'm going to go with the 120 map suggested above.  I've changed the displacement and the injector size.  Most stock bikes are off by about 10% - 15%, I'd guess.  So, if I can get a map that's been built on a very similar collection of components, that should put me in the park.  I've done other builds, looked at the SERT disk, found maps with similar components and found the bikes run great.  However, my 124 is a bit out of range; I would think even for the 120 maps. But again, I'll start there and see what the plugs look like.

If you've got anything closer, I'd sure be interested.

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 05:53:21 AM »
Well the guys that actually tune have all had to do just what you did.. Sure the cookie cutter 124 LC or HC maps are often .. The 124 with a 585 cam would not be a bad start in my opinion .  Cam choice and larger T/B  However ring the shop I can pull up what I have see which one you want  and get it over to via email from that computer 
www.gmrperformance.com  www.compensaver.com
817-741-2000   FORT WORTH TX

Offline les

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
Well the guys that actually tune have all had to do just what you did.. Sure the cookie cutter 124 LC or HC maps are often .. The 124 with a 585 cam would not be a bad start in my opinion .  Cam choice and larger T/B  However ring the shop I can pull up what I have see which one you want  and get it over to via email from that computer

Thank you, sir.  I'll give you a call this week.