Author Topic: Putting the power to the pavement, tires  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Deye76

Re: Putting the power to the pavement, tires
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 05:46:09 AM »
Commanders aren't even close to a Cobra for grip, in the rain or in the switchbacks. 
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline Barrett

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 06:27:44 AM »
I'm on my second set of Cobra's and they work well. Fatbob, 200 rear and a 150 upfront.

Offline ThumperDeuce

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 06:34:22 AM »
I may try some Cobra's on my next tire change.  I'll have to drop down to a 180 on the rear.
Winter is here.

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
   On my bagger I run a 21" Avon Cobra up front and it is the best handling tire I've ever ran on the front of my bike. I run a 160/60/18 Pirelli "Angel GT" on the rear. I'm limited on options for the size I run on the rear. Avon to date doesn't make a 160/60/18" rear Cobra tire...but I was told last year at a show that they do plan on making that size. The 160/60/18" was the widest tire I could get under my 08 factory fender.
   The Pirelli Angel GT is by far the best rear tire I've ever ran on the rear. It has excellent traction with it's dual compound design and it offers a very smooth ride, while giving me decent mileage...if I can keep from twisting the wick too much.  :hyst:  The Dunlop and Metzler's I've ran in the past don't hold a candle to the Angel GT when it comes to the performance and wear department.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline Moparnut72

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »
I put Cobras on my Sporty. Super handling tires. The front end didn't follow grooves anymore, 21". I didn't keep the bike long after mouting them so I can't comment on longevity.
kk
Mopar or No Car

Online N-gin

• Site Supporter
  • \,,/ (>.<) \,,/ Brraaaaap!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
I have an Elite3 on the front, 130/60/19

what do you guys think a good front tire is.. I didn't see it posted on Dunlops web page, did they do away with elite3?

Looks like I'm going to have to run a 180 on the back. The chain is 8mm from the tire  :sad:
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Offline Deye76

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 05:19:02 AM »
I may try some Cobra's on my next tire change.  I'll have to drop down to a 180 on the rear.

If you have a 200 now, your wear mileage will increase with the 180.
East Tenn.

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
   I went from an Elite 3 on the front of my bike to a Avon Cobra this time.
No comparison at all...the Cobra is a much better tire up front for me.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline ThumperDeuce

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:09 AM »

If you have a 200 now, your wear mileage will increase with the 180.

That is nice to know.  I really like the way a 200 fills up my rear fender.  I try to rationalize going smaller as it will have less rotational mass.
Winter is here.

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
I've always put less emphasis on looks, and more on performance. I understand a balance of the two, but a compromise for me leans more toward function over form if a choice must be made.
No shirt, no shoes, but I still get service.
Why? Girl, look at this body!

Offline Deye76

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
"That is nice to know.  I really like the way a 200 fills up my rear fender.  I try to rationalize going smaller as it will have less rotational mass."

Friend has a Fatboy that came with a 200, he was getting 5-6 thou and it was done, installed a 180 and is getting north of 10 thou. YMMV
East Tenn.

Offline cdonis

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »
Just put a set of shinko 005 advance radicals on.  Way better than the Dunlop in every aspect. 

Offline K4FXD

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 11:52:10 PM »
Cobras, try them, you will never want another brand. If you scrape your pegs that is.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »

what do you guys think a good front tire is.. I didn't see it posted on Dunlops web page, did they do away with elite3?

Looks like I'm going to have to run a 180 on the back. The chain is 8mm from the tire  :sad:
I think I may step it up a bit and go with a larger size tire as well...
Did some research and the 200 tire is just a tad smaller but has a higher speed rating and heavier load.
So I think I'm going with the 200-60-16 Avon Cobras, but still looking.

Thoughts? On wider tires

Sounds like you have it figured out.

Proper fitment trumps a little extra width.  Your touring wheels are 3.5" x 19" front and 5" x 16" rear,  if I understand what your running.

Avon Cobra:  recommended rim    rim range    width on recommended rim    diameter   tread depth
180/70R16               5"                 5"-5.5"                    182mm                    25.8"           8.6mm
200/60VR16             5.5"              5.5"-6.25"                196m                      25.6"           7.2mm

200/60VR16 will be approx. 192mm on a 5" rim and likely a real bi!ch to mount.  Not something I would consider at all from experience of mounting a 190/60-17 Bridgestone on a 1/2" undersized 4.5" rim and having an Avon rep. state that he seriously tried and could not get a 190/60R17 Cobra mounted on a 4.5" Dyna rim that was also 1/2" undersize.

IME running an oversize tire for the rim is almost certainly adverse for performance/handling.  I've mentioned before that old school road racers back in the day of rounded profile bias tires would run one size narrower on the rear to flatten the profile and have a larger contact patch at lean.  IME running a narrower rear will be more nimble.  The OEM 180/60-17 GT502 is the only 180 or larger tire that worked well (nice planted feel at lean) on the rear of my Deuce but I choose not to pay the Harley tax and have been running the proper fitment 160/70-17 like a standard Deuce for a long time now...160's are more nimble and cruiser riders tend to like nimble,  I will sometimes take planted/stable once on line at lean even if it takes more input/effort to turn in.

Bottom line mount the 180/70 and don't second guess it.  Being .1" smaller diameter than stock D427 will have minimal effect on speedo.

The 130/60B19 Cobra,  recommended on a 3.5" which the touring wheel is.

You sure you don't have an 130/60-19 front American Elite?   I don't think Dunlop ever made that size in an E3.  I've switched back on forth several times between an E3 and Cobra because I got the E3's real cheap.  Cobra is substantially better,  to the point I won't price whore myself out anymore.  Once I got use to the grip of the Cobra I would then over ride the E3 and actually get less mileage out of the E3...did this twice back to back.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:14:49 PM by 04 SE DEUCE »

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »
Just put a set of shinko 005 advance radicals on.  Way better than the Dunlop in every aspect. 

Not applicable in this thread as there are no 16" rear or 19" front sizes.  Wannabe sport-ish tire.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:59:45 PM by 04 SE DEUCE »

Online N-gin

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 12:29:49 AM »

I think I may step it up a bit and go with a larger size tire as well...
Did some research and the 200 tire is just a tad smaller but has a higher speed rating and heavier load.
So I think I'm going with the 200-60-16 Avon Cobras, but still looking.

Thoughts? On wider tires

Sounds like you have it figured out.

Proper fitment trumps a little extra width.  Your touring wheels are 3.5" x 19" front and 5" x 16" rear,  if I understand what your running.

Avon Cobra:  recommended rim    rim range    width on recommended rim    diameter   tread depth
180/70R16               5"                 5"-5.5"                    182mm                    25.8"           8.6mm
200/60VR16             5.5"              5.5"-6.25"                196m                      25.6"           7.2mm

200/60VR16 will be approx. 192mm on a 5" rim and likely a real bi!ch to mount.  Not something I would consider at all from experience of mounting a 190/60-17 Bridgestone on a 1/2" undersized 4.5" rim and having an Avon rep. state that he seriously tried and could not get a 190/60R17 Cobra mounted on a 4.5" Dyna rim that was also 1/2" undersize.

IME running an oversize tire for the rim is almost certainly adverse for performance/handling.  I've mentioned before that old school road racers back in the day of rounded profile bias tires would run one size narrower on the rear to flatten the profile and have a larger contact patch at lean.  IME running a narrower rear will be more nimble.  The OEM 180/60-17 GT502 is the only 180 or larger tire that worked well (nice planted feel at lean) on the rear of my Deuce but I choose not to pay the Harley tax and have been running the proper fitment 160/70-17 like a standard Deuce for a long time now...160's are more nimble and cruiser riders tend to like nimble,  I will sometimes take planted/stable once on line at lean even if it takes more input/effort to turn in.

Bottom line mount the 180/70 and don't second guess it.  Being .1" smaller diameter than stock D427 will have minimal effect on speedo.

The 130/60B19 Cobra,  recommended on a 3.5" which the touring wheel is.

You sure you don't have an 130/60-19 front American Elite?   I don't think Dunlop ever made that size in an E3.  I've switched back on forth several times between an E3 and Cobra because I got the E3's real cheap.  Cobra is substantially better,  to the point I won't price whore myself out anymore.  Once I got use to the grip of the Cobra I would then over ride the E3 and actually get less mileage out of the E3...did this twice back to back.

I never thought about the contact patch working like that. It makes sense. thank you

Maybe I do have the Elite and not the threes.. At the time I got them with a bunch of other tires and may have thought all this time they were the threes LOL.

Cobras, try them, you will never want another brand. If you scrape your pegs that is.

I do scrape my pegs, and with a raised front and rear suspension.. There was one time I could feel my front tire start to wash if I pushed a little furture while scraping the pegs.

Not applicable in this thread as there are no 16" rear or 19" front sizes.  Wannabe sport-ish tire.

I did look at the Shinkos as these tires are preferred on the Dyna page for grip. I witnessed an instance were I was cruising with friends and they made an abrupt stop. We all locked the tires up. I noticed that their tires screeched loud as mine sounded like it was just sliding. This got me thinking maybe my tires are not so good (dunlops) for what I do. So shinkos was my first stop but they did not have my tire size. the Dun lops did give 14k-17k even with the occasional burnout.

OK now my mind is set on not getting the GOpro and instead a front tire also.

Thanks guys I'm going with Cobras front and rear.

I hope its a good combo for all the suspension I'm doing.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Online N-gin

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 01:04:55 AM »
Just to be sure the front will be Bias and the rear will be Radial.  As this is what is offered in the Avons.

Why do I have the feeling it should be Bias ply on the rear and radial on the front???

Offline 04 SE DEUCE

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:27 AM »
Some bikes come oem with bias front, radial rear...I've used/mixed lots of brands/models in this configuration will zero issues.

The combo to avoid is radial front,  bias rear but then Max ran that once and is still among us. 

IIRC he didn't like that front tire much but then it was a 140 on the front which again IIRC was a tire with a spec'd rim range of 3.5"-4.25" installed on a 3".

Stuffing on more tire than spec. is most often going backwards performance wise.

Online N-gin

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
Some bikes come oem with bias front, radial rear...I've used/mixed lots of brands/models in this configuration will zero issues.

The combo to avoid is radial front,  bias rear but then Max ran that once and is still among us. 

IIRC he didn't like that front tire much but then it was a 140 on the front which again IIRC was a tire with a spec'd rim range of 3.5"-4.25" installed on a 3".

Stuffing on more tire than spec. is most often going backwards performance wise.

Thank you

Offline kristian

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
yes, try and contain all that power!!
Kris

Offline cdonis

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 09:19:42 PM »
Just to be sure the front will be Bias and the rear will be Radial.  As this is what is offered in the Avons.

Why do I have the feeling it should be Bias ply on the rear and radial on the front???
  I went from oem bias Dunlop out front and one radial out back to two radials.  The Dunlop bias front felt harder than a whores heart at 50 percent wear.  No more for me.

Online N-gin

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »
That's what I thought about the bias out front. It is a hard tire for sure, but it can handle the weight better.
That's my original thought of having the bias out back to handle the weight and the radial up front to give better feedback and grip the road better..
I never worried about rear tire wash out, that I can handle no problem. But a front tire washing out, I don't think there a cure for that..