Author Topic: aftermarket docking hardware?  (Read 434 times)

Online tomboyjr

aftermarket docking hardware?
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
 I see lots of this stuff on ebay. 50% or even less than from Harley. Has anyone used the cheaper 4 point docking hardware, or strut covers, or tour pack racks?  Or passenger backrests? From what I read it seems to be decent stuff.

If it was junk, of course I'd want the better stuff. But if its similar, I'd rather have the $ difference in my pocket.

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
Re: aftermarket docking hardware?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »
If you wanna get rid of the ol lady, buy the china made docking and backrest...

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:38:21 PM »

So....buy the Harley stuff then? :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Online tomboyjr

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »

So is this your opinion, or have you used the aftermarket stuff? Lets face it, they are chunks of metal-lol. Nothing intricate. $170 for those 2 plates that bolt onto the struts is highway robbery if you ask me.
I just bought some Harley brand open box 4 point hardware for less than half of new. But I still need strut covers, the tour pack rack and a backrest.

Offline calif phil

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
The Taiwan made docking hardware from Drag is good quality.   I have used them with no problems. 

Offline bigfoot5x

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »
I cannot speak to the docking hardware directly. What I have noticed with after market parts in general is that in some cases they might crack or split quicker than a Harley part or the chrome will not last as long or discolors if it is a pipe or muffler. Eventually it will not look as good. Just something I have gradually realized after 18 years.

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »
I just replaced the docking bushings and quick detach latches for my tour pack.  The OEM stuff had worn till it allowed rattling and clunking when hitting bumps.  I got replacement bushings off ebay from Drag, and the latches were some no-name product, made in China, of course.  However, the quality of the stuff appeared to be top notch.  All of it fit perfectly, solved the rattling issue, and cost very little.  Anyway my bike is a 99, so it is old as hell now, and lots of stuff like this is failing and needing to be replaced.  Lots of the OEM stiff now is obsolete, and when you can still get it it costs an arm and a leg and is often made outside of the USA.  Ebay is keeping my bike (and my old car) alive for next to nothing and I have yet to buy a part for either that I felt was substandard in any way.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
I have the Harley kit but I have purchased 2 of the Ebay kits for friends, They (the ones I bought) don't have the licence plate bracket (can be bought from Harley) and the mounting spot for the bracket has 2 studs in that place that we drilled out and replaced with bolts. The rest of the fit and finish was fine in my opinion. It was a huge saving for the little extra tuning up that it took. The kit we purchased came with the tour pac mount.

I bought an Ebay passenger back rest for my Harley docking system and had to tweak the brackets a bit to get it to mount properly, It seems just fine now, and again a huge saving for a little extra input to the fit. I mention this because it may indicate the aftermarket units are dimensionally slightly different so the MOCO can't complain about the reproductions.
KD

Online tomboyjr

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 03:36:44 AM »
Thanks for all the info and responses.. I have used similar parts on my off road bikes, such as engine guards, and they all do the job well it seems. But there is nothing better than first hand info, good or bad, when trying something new.

Offline jimbemotumbo

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:46 AM »
I have used a fair number of Asian aftermarket bits. Like several have said, the parts fit, they function just as well as the MoCo stuff, and cost far less. However, the quality of the metal is not as high (lighter weight) nor is the finish as robust. Chrome is thinner, polished stuff won't get quite the shine, and the painted parts may flake and rust a little sooner in some cases. For my bikes, higher wear items are better served by MoCo parts and the hidden stuff, brackets and the like ... Asian is fine. I actually like my Asian QR sissy bar/rack better than the OEM version as if fits tighter and does not rattle.

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
I see lots of this stuff on ebay. 50% or even less than from Harley. Has anyone used the cheaper 4 point docking hardware, or strut covers, or tour pack racks?  Or passenger backrests? From what I read it seems to be decent stuff.

If it was junk, of course I'd want the better stuff. But if its similar, I'd rather have the $ difference in my pocket.
  I have also used a online discount Harley dealer and also parts from I think amazon to install luggage and back rests on um 12 street glide and the 13 roadglide

Online tomboyjr

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
 I picked up  Harley brand black 4-point docking hardware for $60 open box,  and just ordered an aftermarket set of black strut covers for $50, but I still need the trunk rack. I see they start at $42 on ebay and with great reviews. Since the Harley rack is close to $200 its worth a shot I guess. I only use the trunk for trips a few times a year. Mostly its just me , or the g/f with a backrest.

Thanks for all the responses.