Author Topic: HSR 45  (Read 203 times)

Offline capn

HSR 45
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
Gas boils out of float bowl after shut down on hot day.Happened a few times, motor is ultima 120.Gas comes out overflow tube after sitting for 5 to 10 minutes.

Offline turboprop

• Site Supporter
Re: HSR 45
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
Gas boils out of float bowl after shut down on hot day.Happened a few times, motor is ultima 120.Gas comes out overflow tube after sitting for 5 to 10 minutes.

This is not unique the the 45 or the Ultima 120, but is common to all HSR models, seen it countless times. You can try the usual knee jerks like swapping in a new float needle and seat, checking float height, etc. In the end you will learn to shut the gas off a block away from your destination.

FWIW, my red bike runs a Mik48 with a Vulcan back on a Super D intake. There is an insulator block between the manifold and the backing plate on the carb. This setup works very well and seems to have reduced the amount of fuel boiling out of the overflow tube. The down side is it sticks out a little. But I dont care. Heck, I even have a 1" spacer block in there so it really sticks out. Not for everyone but works for me. YMMV.
'Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig'.

Offline capn

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
I do have the insulater block in there only 3/8 thick I think , but thats a good idea shutting off gas early. It doesnt make a big puddle of gas just the size of 2 or 3 quarters. I ended up takin the carb off and put the G back on but the mik runs well and Ill put it back on this weekend.

Offline jeffscycle

• 99 Dyna, XRD Racer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
   also you could try drilling the gas cap to be  free air flow, as stock pressurized caps can push the needle open with a full tank, or if its in the sun.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH