Author Topic: Turn Signals  (Read 345 times)

Online hbkeith

Turn Signals
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:58:57 AM »
92 FXRS conv , Turn signals work on right sometimes , sometimes not , left side wont work . seem to test good to TSM . did change the stock  broken Speedo to one from a 94 XL , and no speedo cable installed yet

Offline harley_cruiser

• Site Supporter
    • Rocker Lockers
Re: Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
92 FXRS conv , Turn signals work on right sometimes , somet?imes not , left side wont work . seem to test good to TSM . did change the stock  broken Speedo to one from a 94 XL , and no speedo cable installed yet
Have you started to pull the connectors apart and clean and dielectric grease?
Have you checked the bulbs to see if they are good?
Are you getting 12v flashing at bulb base center prong?
Have you checked to see if you are getting a ground at your bulb base?
It looks like you should be getting 12v to the tsm from the acc fuse, also 12 v to both switches. the switch sends a signal to the tsm and it has a feed that goes to both lights.
The schematic that I have does not have any wire colors so cant help you with that but we need to start with the basics.
Oh yea speedo should not mater that is just to send a cancel mesage.

Offline Evo160K

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
Many years ago, iirc, I had a turnsignal issue which was caused by the electronic tac going south.  If you have one, you might disconnect it and see what happens.

Offline AllenZ

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:46:35 AM »
I have a 1989 Flhtc - I had a problem that sometimes turn signals will not work at all, sometimes turn signals will not cancel, very erratic. Power at TSM checks out OK. Connecters on TSM & wiring harness plug look good - nice & shiny. Sprayed liberal contact cleaner on TSM & wiring harness plug, coat with dielectric grease, been working great for two years now. Just a thought.
1989 FLHTC 124 S&S Bored to 127, Hillside Stage 3 cylinder heads, S&S 6 speed.

Offline SixShooter14

• HTT Greeter
  • Site Supporter
  • Proud Arkansan
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
I've had this issue as well on my '92...On mine, the bulb base was not grounding...the grounding wire end was too short in the bulb socket. I pulled it through a little more and it's gotten much better.
'92 FXSTC mostly stock

Offline Mark222

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:28:34 PM »
Yeah, my 1991 FLHTCU would have flakey turn signals (intermittent problems) usually when due for state inspection.    :hyst:

Things like: they worked when running but not with key on but not started.  Or would light up solid, not flash. Or they would not light at all and them would.  I expected a bad ground and traced the loom and connectors, applied di-electric and re-connect.  All short term solutions for me that would again fade back to issues.

As for the solution, I'm not must help here as before I found the root cause I took another route and upgraded to a 2003 Fairing and Gauges and a did complete re-wire using 2003 harness front to back.  Not another issue since.

Mark

Online hbkeith

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
Yes bulbs checked , have not checked ground at bulb base

Offline JC 92FXRS

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »
The 92's have self cancelling turn signals and require a signal from the speedometer. Could be the speedometer change is the reason. Also the front signals ground through the steering head, so there could be an issue there too. I know if I jack up my bike so that the front wheel clears the ground, it will drive the turn signals crazy. As soon as there is weight on the steering head all is good.
Hope you get it sorted out.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Online hbkeith

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 09:07:08 AM »
yeah speedo was a perfect swap ,. just the same white wire . where would be best spot to test ground of turn signals ?

Offline JC 92FXRS

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
I assume you have the old style turn signals and they all ground in the individual fixtures, which in turn ground where they connect to the body of the bike . So I would check all those. You could start by also running a wire someplace from the triple trees to the frame...maybe at the zerk fitting on neck just to check if the front end grounding properly.
cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Online hbkeith

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »
Buddy pulled up with his 93 bagger ,pulled his module put it on my FXR and it works . Thanks all

Offline Deye76

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »
Front or rear? On my 92' FXR the rear housing(s) had a loose bulb socket and like SixShooter probably a bad ground, a later pair of housings had a separate ground wire, that took care of it.
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP