Author Topic: Charging System  (Read 422 times)

Offline Deye76

Charging System
« on: June 16, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
Electrically challenged here. 1992 FXR, I used to be able to tell if the charging system was OK by starting the bike in a dark garage, increasing rpm, and the headlight would get brighter, and get dimmer at idle. I checked the stator with the  regulator un-plugged, motor running, putting out 18-20 volts AC. With the regulator plugged back in, motor running, my meter showed 14 volts DC across the battery terminals. That looks good to me. With the motor running, my headlight shows no difference at idle or with increased RPM, it couldn't be that I have LED lights now and incandescent  before could it? Breaking in a new motor, I have not gone further than 100 miles without shutting off the bike. If it was running off the battery wouldn't it have gone dead by 100 miles?
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline harley_cruiser

• Site Supporter
    • Rocker Lockers
Re: Charging System
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »
Electrically challenged here. 1992 FXR, I used to be able to tell if the charging system was OK by starting the bike in a dark garage, increasing rpm, and the headlight would get brighter, and get dimmer at idle. I checked the stator with the  regulator un-plugged, motor running, putting out 18-20 volts AC. With the regulator plugged back in, motor running, my meter showed 14 volts DC across the battery terminals. That looks good to me. With the motor running, my headlight shows no difference at idle or with increased RPM, it couldn't be that I have LED lights now and incandescent  before could it? Breaking in a new motor, I have not gone further than 100 miles without shutting off the bike. If it was running off the battery wouldn't it have gone dead by 100 miles?
If you have 14 v running you are good.

Offline capn

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »
shut bike off check dc voltage between  battery posts. start bike fast idle check dc volts again between terminals.if it went up charging system ok.

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:32:25 AM »
LED lights will not dim like the old incandescents. And the charging systems are better, so lights don't dim as noticeably as they used to.
A 100 mile ride with a bad charging system would kill the battery long before you got to the end of the ride.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline Deye76

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »
LED lights will not dim like the old incandescents. And the charging systems are better, so lights don't dim as noticeably as they used to.
A 100 mile ride with a bad charging system would kill the battery long before you got to the end of the ride.

What I was thinking, but didn't know for sure. Thanks for the replies.  :up:
East Tenn.

Offline hillcat

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 05:39:50 AM »
What makes you question if it's charging properly?
Are there any symptoms?

Offline Deye76

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
What makes you question if it's charging properly?
Are there any symptoms?

None other than the light not dimming.
East Tenn.

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »
Best way to check voltage is at the battery while at rest, then start it and check it for the next half a minute or so, as Capn said, and which you seemed to have done.

Offline jeffscycle

• 99 Dyna, XRD Racer
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:40:57 AM »
      If your getting close to 15v, but not over(over 15v is over charging/bad reg.) across the battery, its a sign of a weak battery, as its over working the regulator.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Offline david lee

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
i just checked mine out of curiosity as it hasnt been started for while and its 12.4 v across battery not going

Offline Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »
Put a Tender on it.

Offline harley_cruiser

• Site Supporter
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
i just checked mine out of curiosity as it hasnt been started for while and its 12.4 v across battery not going
Check it after you have run it for a while, turn it off, turn on the lights for ten seconds, turn it off then check it.
If its still 12.4 you need to think about a battery, if more than 12.5 you are ok.
Sitting for a while 12.4 is ok