Author Topic: A seat a guy can stay in for tank to tank riding. Suggestions?  (Read 3239 times)

Online Paniolo

• Ride Like a Pro West Coast
Re: A seat a guy can stay in for tank to tank riding. Suggestions?
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:45 AM »

All you young bucks listen up... :gob:  .dont abuse your body, it will come back to haunt you later in life. Trust the old guys who have done just that.

I look at all the "youngsters" and see them running on hard top, throwing balls, batting, catching passes, making cuts, doing martial arts, playing tennis, and I remember when I used to do that. Now days I can twist a knee waiting for the elevator, or stepping off a curb.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 03:20:45 PM »

All you young bucks listen up... :gob:  .dont abuse your body, it will come back to haunt you later in life. Trust the old guys who have done just that.

I look at all the "youngsters" and see them running on hard top, throwing balls, batting, catching passes, making cuts, doing martial arts, playing tennis, and I remember when I used to do that. Now days I can twist a knee waiting for the elevator, or stepping off a curb.

How about all these young guys doing parkour where they jump from building to building and over various obstacles. Looks pretty neat when the talented guys do it, but when you think about the hours of practice and the mishaps along the way some of these guys will be lucky to be walking when they hit 50. You can spend hours on YouTube watching guys face plant.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
What about these dudes who are doing crazy things way up high on building parapets & construction sites?  The absence of fear of heights is quite remarkable but I cant help cringing while I watch.  It just takes one slip
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Online Tollbooth

• Site Supporter
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2018, 08:01:45 AM »
 My best seat was the Road Zepplin by HD . Used it on my 09 and 13 Ultra. When butt gets tired just hit a button to pump air and change the pressure point. Had it refreshed (new valve etc) Sides trimmed to help with my short legs, used it till I found out about Mean City. Now it sits in a box. Wish I did'nt spend the $$ on the tune up.

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
Mean City is that good...wow they get a ton of good press here.  I have to call them and see about getting my Mustang trimmed.  Pretty cool.
John

Online hattitude

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »
Mean City is that good...wow they get a ton of good press here.  I have to call them and see about getting my Mustang trimmed.  Pretty cool.

I used Mean City Cycles... they are certainly good at what they do, but they are not perfect...

I had two issues that will keep me from using them again

1) I spoke with an employee to make my appointment and discuss what I wanted to do. She answered my questions, but didn't offer any ideas or suggestions. I didn't realize that certain mods caused other unintended changes. When I called back to talk about a couple issues, after getting my seat back, they said, "Oh yeah... that will happen when you ...." Who knew??? It wasn't mentioned when I asked about the mods...

2) I'm in San Diego & they are on the East coast... Shipping my seat, there & back, was not cheap. Then I had to send it back to them, to redo/modify a couple things. In the end, with shipping it twice, and paying to redo some stuff, it wasn't any cheaper than a new, premium seat purchase. The seat was better than OEM, but it wasn't anything spectacular...

I wish they would ...

-  Have someone versed in their mods/designs, ask what you are trying to accomplish and then give suggestions or recommendations on how to achieve that.. Their explanations on their site are not really complete, nor do they always reflect unintentional consequences. I've also read posts where people have mentioned a mod that was recommended for them, that I've never seen on their web site...

-  Allow you to purchase a shipping label through them. They obviously have a relationship with their shipper. I used the same shipper, but noticed the price on their shipping label back to me, was about half of what it cost me to ship it to them.. It would be especially nice when dealing with a re-do...

I can't say it was a bad experience. They gave me what I asked for (twice), and it was better than what I sent them.....

If I were to re-do a seat again, however, I think I would seek out an upholstery shop local to me that has dealt with motorcycle seats. That way you can discuss face to face, and inspect it when you pick it up... no boxing/shipping costs... 

It's good to have someone knowledgable in motorcycle seats (if they will readily share their knowledge), but let's face it... it's not rocket science...

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
attitude, excellent, thank you. Lots of good usable info there.
John

Offline Pete_Vit

• Site Supporter
  • "No good deed goes unpunished"
    • Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
 :agree: good review, info - thanks
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS  -     AMA
http://www.harleypartscheap.com/

Offline Little Al

• '54 Pan, '83 Shovel, '08 Ultra
    • Motor Skills Competition
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
I'm 64, my distance ride is an '08 Ultra. I've been a member of the IBA (Iron Butt Association) for 16 years. I'm definitely a square tire maker, lol. I have 35-40 1000 mile days and 3 coast to coast's (NYC to San Fran, 2900 miles) all in less than 50 hours (yes I have an additional tank that holds 3 gallons). I can go about 5 hours between stops.
The best seat combo I found was a gel pack on the stock seat. The key is you have to find one made with SURGICAL gel, not regular gel. I bought mine from Dr. Phil from Brooklyn Butt Busters, alas, he passed away a few years ago and I don't know if the business continued without him. over the years he did a couple of custom made seats for me with the surgical gel and foam that were fantastic.

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
My problem is after I ride for 100 or so miles my butt is on fire and nothing to do with fatigue. I have the riders back rest and it is great.

I appreciate all of the suggestions.
  Durwood I have a Mustang seat but it still get pretty hot so I got one of those ventilated pads that go on top of the Seat , the owner of the Harley dealer in Wichita Falls showed me it . He is a nice guy and I think he also uses on . Sure enough it work pretty good. My friend Terry used it on the way back from Colorado and he liked it . Helps a lot . I now its a gray area but we stop every now and then to have a cold one damn .  I be 63 in October and I still like to ride and have some fun. I like to get the 12 street glide with the 124 SS engine on the inner state turn up the radio a tad , find a fast car to follow and let it rip lol .

Offline HotRodShovel

• Site Supporter
  • NYC/S.FL
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »
Little Al, I checked on line and it appears they are still in business under the name Butt Buffer.  My hats off to you buddy doing the Iron Butt.  Coast to coast in 50 hours is pretty impressive, no extremely impressive.  It would take me and my broken back 5 days with a good tailwind.  50 hours is WOW.
Are you a NY'er?  Im a Brooklyn kid, born & raised except for a 4 year hitch in the US Navy.
John

Offline Little Al

• '54 Pan, '83 Shovel, '08 Ultra
    • Motor Skills Competition
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
John,
I sure am a New Yorker. Born & bred in Staten Island.
the IBA ride doing the coast to coast in 50 hours was a little tough butt (lol) worth it.
 It's tradition with the IBA to take a vial of water from one ocean and dump it in the other ocean. I took a vial from the Atlantic in South Beach, Staten Island and dumped it into the San Francisco bay at Fisherman's Wharf.
my longest single day ride was NYC to Omaha, NE which was 1278 miles and took 19 hours and 20 minutes  :smileo:

Offline boooby1744

• Site Supporter
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
I keep forgetting SI is part of NYC. :scoot:

Online Moparnut72

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »
The best I ever did was from Denver to the Rhode Island border. 1848 miles in 46 hours. I did grab about 5 hours sleep. I was in the army then and a lot tougher than I am now. It was on a BMW R75/5 with a terrible seat. The BMW with the best seat I ever owned was a R50/2. The Slim I have now has a reasonably shaped seat but has virtually no padding. I put a Mustang on it, better but not great. Since I have nothing to lose, I think I will try to add some padding to my stock seat.
kk
Mopar or No Car

Offline chaos901

• Site Supporter
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »
By the length of this thread you get some understanding of where everybody's priorities are located.

Offline Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
I consider comfort and proper ergonomics a safety factor, not just a convenience factor.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Online Paniolo

• Ride Like a Pro West Coast
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
I consider comfort and proper ergonomics a safety factor, not just a convenience factor.

BINGO!!!!
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
By the length of this thread you get some understanding of where everybody's priorities are located.

Not quite sure what you are implying, but like the next posts, comfort is important, more so over the long haul.

Maybe looks are more important? :idunno:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
If I were to re-do a seat again, however, I think I would seek out an upholstery shop local to me that has dealt with motorcycle seats. That way you can discuss face to face, and inspect it when you pick it up... no boxing/shipping costs... 

This approach worked well for me. The upholstery guy was a rider, just as vertically challenged as I am, and less than 20 miles away.  I am no iron butt rider but recently did a 575-580 mile day. I had issues but my ass wasn't one of them.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2018, 05:05:40 PM »
One thing that helps me when we're stuck on the road for long periods:  I simply slide one butt cheek off the saddle allowing blood flow to get reestablished  (it's that age thing, I think), but this keeps me going all day, even tho I may look silly as heck.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Online harpwrench

• Site Supporter
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
One thing that helps me when we're stuck on the road for long periods:  I simply slide one butt cheek off the saddle allowing blood flow to get reestablished  (it's that age thing, I think), but this keeps me going all day, even tho I may look silly as heck.

PC

I do that too  :bike:
The other day I forgot I stuck one of those cheap foam can coozies in my hip pocket, and realized I wasn't having to do it on that side....try it!

Offline 92flhtcu

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2018, 05:19:08 AM »
I'm a Mustang guy, not all their seats are made for all day, as they have several models, however their foam is the best of the best. I also use a Wild Ass air cushion, I switch it up when on long hauls, maybe a tank or two without it, then a tank or two with it. I do sit on the Wild Ass every day in my car, I spend on average 6 hours a day in the car for work.

About 15 years ago I sent a Mustang seat in to Mean City and he would not work on it as it was a aftermarket seat(they rivet the cover on) HD just staples it on. They may work on aftermarket now, so I'd call them
Need a bigger garage

Offline ddave

• That's me in the middle with my crew :-)
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
So many factors to consider as some on here have noted. Bars, reach, angle, foot position, etc. That being said, seats are a lot like holsters. Most riders  have a drawer full of them until the "right" one was found. I did a "four corners US " with a friend last July on a Corbin with a sheepskin pad(when it wasn't raining :-) and did just fine. Backrest also makes a big difference.
Shortest day was 360 and longest was 780.
8998.6 miles in 21 days with no significant butt pain. 2006 Roadglide.

ddave

Offline Ken R

• Site Supporter
    • Ken's motorcycle pages
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
Motorcop seat with air suspension and a Air Hawk inflated just enough to raise the buttocks bones off the seat. 
We ride tank to tank, often 200+ miles when in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming; and this combination has been the best I've ever used. 

I rode over 8,000 miles in the past 35 days, all on this combination.   

1.  Dallas to Glacier National Park via Oregon and Washington, then up into Canada, back home
2.  From Dallas to Clayton, New Mexico and back to accompany a friend that was riding his repaired 'Limited back from Boise, ID. 
3.  And just 3 days later, a 2,000 mile trip to Milwaukee and back.  I just got home a few hours ago.  I competed in the Harley Davidson 115th Motorcop and Civilian Skills Competition there . . . . all on the same seat.  (I remove the Air Hawk for competing).

Offline woodreaux

« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
Police seat wins every time-