Author Topic: Hayden Tensioner ?..old stock design compensator?  (Read 685 times)

Offline ViseGrips

Hayden Tensioner ?..old stock design compensator?
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:23:45 AM »
..M6BT-07... around 35k miles/50kms I put in a new compensator to replace the stock one...,also a new primary chain and the Hayden just because eh..( clutch hub bearing.. IPB etc )..just wanted some improvements...well that Hayden howled so loud without any shims for 1000kms that I took it out and fired the 07 ( smaller teeth design) stock primary adjustor back in....My 07 SG now has 83k kms on it and I'm thinking the stock tensioner maybe or should be replaced....so I'm thinking >> I still have the Hayden...I guess my question right now is >> was it possible that the new chain I fired in was too tight at the time for the Hayden to settle down into....I hate to just toss it away/leave it on the shelf per se and buy the better bigger teeth design auto tensioner or buy a manual tensioner...and I still have the old primary chain with 30k miles on it.

now about the stock 07 compensator ?....it worked without banging etc...there was no fretting on it...I remember a topic about cutting groves in it with a dremmel  to help keep it lubed ( I think Bubbie had done the grove trick with success ( God rest his soul  :sad: )...but I can't find that topic with pics or anything related to it...I currently have no problems with my newer compensator but I'd like to cut some groves in my stock 07 comp to try this just in case I need it or somebody else might need it for an emergency fix in the future...That's about it that I can think of right now..all responses greatly appreciated .. :up:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:37:04 AM by ViseGrips »

Offline 98fxstc

• Site Supporter
Re: Hayden Tensioner ?..old stock design compensator?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:40:50 AM »
This was Bubbie's post. (I have it in my bookmarks) (Good Fella that Bubbie   :sad: )

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=88566.0

Offline rbabos

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
..M6BT-07... around 35k miles/50kms I put in a new compensator to replace the stock one...,also a new primary chain and the Hayden just because eh..( clutch hub bearing.. IPB etc )..just wanted some improvements...well that Hayden howled so loud without any shims for 1000kms that I took it out and fired the 07 ( smaller teeth design) stock primary adjustor back in....My 07 SG now has 83k kms on it and I'm thinking the stock tensioner maybe or should be replaced....so I'm thinking >> I still have the Hayden...I guess my question right now is >> was it possible that the new chain I fired in was too tight at the time for the Hayden to settle down into....I hate to just toss it away/leave it on the shelf per se and buy the better bigger teeth design auto tensioner or buy a manual tensioner...and I still have the old primary chain with 30k miles on it.

now about the stock 07 compensator ?....it worked without banging etc...there was no fretting on it...I remember a topic about cutting groves in it with a dremmel  to help keep it lubed ( I think Bubbie had done the grove trick with success ( God rest his soul  :sad: )...but I can't find that topic with pics or anything related to it...I currently have no problems with my newer compensator but I'd like to cut some groves in my stock 07 comp to try this just in case I need it or somebody else might need it for an emergency fix in the future...That's about it that I can think of right now..all responses greatly appreciated .. :up:
The stock 07 compensator should be tossed for several reasons and upgraded to the latest offering with oiling. The 07 comp causes starter bang (which has nothing to do with the starter itself),  kickbacks on startups, poor crank cushioning, and so on. While wear in the ramp area is usually low due to the weak spring pack, the splines on the extension shaft will get all beat to ratshit. Also in 07 the fifth gear was notorious for rattle or clacking, half assed related to the comp function or lack of. The newer comps will eliminate this as well, even without the use of a cush drive rear sprocket. Keep in mind a new rotor will be required, one that doesn't have the spring cup on it. Many wins with the upgrade and no real negatives on the latest comp retrofit.
Ron

Offline jmorton10

• support your local HAMC
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
I ride an 07 Roadking.

When I bought it, the previous owner had installed the Hayden unit.

I scissored the flywheels in it & decided to install a 124.  When I pulled the primary cover off, the Hayden shoe was in 3 pieces & bits of it where everywhere in the primary.

I threw the Hayden in the garbage, installed the new motor with the latest SE compensator with the glue in piece & installed a Baker Attitude adjuster.  I filled it with Redline MTL & that setup worked great for 10,000 miles but then I tore all the teeth off the 3rd gear cluster in the stock cruise drive tranny (I had just given it a healthy shot of nitrous, I'm kinda hard on my bikes LOL).

At that point, I pulled the entire primary off to install a Baker DD7 builders kit (that I love).  I had an absolute b!tch of a time getting the compensator bolt back out that I red loctited in (no surprise there) but when I got all the primary parts out everything looked almost brand new.  I rebuilt the tranny & put all the same parts back in the primary & it's running super. The only thing I changed was I added the "armored parts" to the Baker adjuster.

~John
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:56:17 AM by jmorton10 »
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Offline les

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »
I tried the Hayden and also the other spring loaded chain tensioner (can't recall the name).  I abandoned both of them after a while and went back to the manual setup.  The reason is the Hayden and other one were not durable.  Springs broke and shoes sometimes broke too.

Offline ViseGrips

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
 :scratch:.....was there something about the Hayden posted here a while back that that those springs were too long and Hayden had a free fix with shorter springs ?... :idunno:...but I'm still curious if I can Dremel groves in a stock 07 comp for emergencies for myself or those in need to get' em back on the road for a little while.

Offline 98fxstc

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
I tried the Hayden and also the other spring loaded chain tensioner (can't recall the name).  I abandoned both of them after a while and went back to the manual setup.  The reason is the Hayden and other one were not durable.  Springs broke and shoes sometimes broke too.

x2 on the Hayden

very impressed at first
I had it set up nice and it ran well until the springs broke
Then I saw the fatigue cracks in the shoe
Did some reading and found it happened pretty often

Offline ViseGrips

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
..I suppose I'm grasping at straws on the Hayden unit eh.....ok...but so far as I see it right now it's just another shelf ornament to my collection of wasted money and time....so far this sucks eh....

Offline road-dawgs1

• Road Dawgs (Vermont chapter)
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 04:24:34 PM »
:scratch:.....was there something about the Hayden posted here a while back that that those springs were too long and Hayden had a free fix with shorter springs ?... :idunno:...

Yes, old springs measured:

Thinner center spring- 40.03mm / 1.575 in
Thicker outer spring- 34.55mm / 1.360 in

New springs measured:

Thinner center spring- 34.48mm / 1.357 in
Thicker outer spring- 28.43mm / 1.119 in

I replaced my springs with the newer ones, unit is still going strong and no howl like when I had first put it in.
'08 anniversary Ultra with stuff

Online 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Very happy with the Hayden in my Shovel so I put one in my 12 EG.  The howl went away in a couple hundred miles but it's a different animal than the one in my 76.  Nothing ever broke but I am back to the stock tensioner in my 12.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline ViseGrips

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:31 AM »
..great info folks...I bookmarked Bubbies post on the groves and the Hayden spring measurements are saved...Thank you all ...much appreciated.... :up:.....

Offline rbabos

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 05:51:32 AM »
..great info folks...I bookmarked Bubbies post on the groves and the Hayden spring measurements are saved...Thank you all ...much appreciated.... :up:.....
Bubbie's was not the stock 07 comp. It was an 08 or 08A, otherwise known as the SE comp. For grooving to work oil needs to get there in the first place, which it doesn't on that comp.
Ron

Offline les

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »
Thanks for the updated info and education on the new spring length of the Hayden.  With the old set, three units went out on me, so I went on to other methods.  Looks like they might have fixed the durability problem.

Offline ViseGrips

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »
Bubbie's was not the stock 07 comp. It was an 08 or 08A, otherwise known as the SE comp. For grooving to work oil needs to get there in the first place, which it doesn't on that comp.
Ron

yes.. I did catch that in Bubbies posting...at the least I still have the stock 07 for emergencies free, for somebody in need to get 'em through a hard time $$$   :up:

Offline jagonza1

• Full Moon Rock Band myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
I had a bad ecperiance with the Hayden in the 90's last year I ran into the owner and got to taking and I mentioned my problem.  He asked If I still had the bike I said that was a long time ago. He then asked what I had now so I told him. He handed me a new one said put it on and let me know how it's doing. It works great on my current bike it's quiet and smooth. Great customer service.
John A. Gonzales

Online DresserDan

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
I have one in a EVO  Had to replace almost all of it. Got new springs and spacers put in a few years back. I now hear a knocking  or maybe a chain hitting. But the noise goes away when reved up and on the road. Reminds me of when my comp nut loosened on my then new 03 Ultra. And of course it was out of warranty .  So I will be checking it out.

Offline F150HD

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »

Offline Scott P

• Munnsville, N.Y., between Syracuse, & Utica.
    • www.hillsidecycle.com
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 04:33:58 AM »
Gave up on the Hayden units many, many, years ago, and after the attitude adj failures, now the Twin Power seems to work very well indeed.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Offline jmorton10

• support your local HAMC
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:17:19 AM »
The newer "armored attitude adjuster" from Baker works fine.

I have that setup in my 07 RK with the latest SE compensator & Baker DD7.  That setup runs smooth & quiet & I am 100% happy with it.

I had the Hayden setup in an old stroker Shovel & had no problems with it, but my RK had the newer Hayden installed in it when I bought it & it self destructed in less than 2000 miles.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS