Author Topic: engine sprocket  (Read 255 times)

Offline Snowyone

engine sprocket
« on: September 29, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
So I'm close to the finish line with my 53FLE.  Giant cluster deal on getting my engine cases repaired but everything seems a go till I got to the primary.  The left case that was broken and repaired got a Timken bearing setup in place of the roller and a splined shaft was used also.  Now I find the sprocket sits about a 1/4" outboard of lining up with the transmission/clutch/sprocket end I can't locate an offset sprocket to correct this.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
Re: engine sprocket
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
Are you using the right outer spacer on the sprocket shaft? Also is the outer timken pressed all of the way on to the inner spacer?
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Mule

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
You didn't say if you are running a solid sprocket or a compensating sprocket? If using a compensating sprocket there are different sprocket shaft extensions  and you could have the one with a thicker base which will off set the sprocket 1/4". If using a solid sprocket you might try this reversed.   https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/Offset-Motor-Sprocket-1-4-25.html    Good luck!

Offline xlfan

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »
It sounds to me that wrong sprocket shaft has been used. 24001-56 is 3.51" long, and 24001-65 is 3.75" long. You might try a 1/4" offset transmission mounting plate, if you have room for 1/4" rear chain offset.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
There may be some info in this ongoing thread that will help.

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=106035.0
KD