Author Topic: Putting hard saddlebags on a 2000 Road King Classic  (Read 626 times)

Offline Sinker

Putting hard saddlebags on a 2000 Road King Classic
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »
As the title of the post says, I have a 2000 Road King Classic. I would like to put hard bags on and bought some from Ebay. The Ebay ad had a tool to see if it will fit your bike and it says it would, but it doesn't. I took then over to my friends and they fit his 2013 Road King. Is there anything I can do to get them to fit? Does anyone make brackets to do a conversion? Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks/Scott

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
Re: Putting hard saddlebags on a 2000 Road King Classic
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »
You will need the factory bag mounts and bag guards from a 2000 Electra Glide. Keep shopping Ebay!

I take that back!

Why didn't the hard bags fit? I am assuming you Road King had hard bags originally? The fake leather bags IIRC.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:22:49 PM by PoorUB »
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline Rsw

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Pretty sure the mounts are the same

Offline oldhippie

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
Swapped my hard and leather bags between my 00 and 09 without any issues. Minor adjustment of front mount (loosen mount bolt and turn mount). May also need some washers to tighten pin mounts (I bolt the bags on).

Online Jake72

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
They should fit if they fit the 13. When I sold my 09 leather bags off my RK to a guy with an 03 RK they fit fine but had to adjust both front and back brackets IIRC. We did however try his bags on mine for the heck of it and we could not get them to work as only one bracket is adjustable on my 09.

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 01:45:19 AM »
pictures of what you got ?

Offline BigT

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 03:45:48 AM »
Did you try loosening up the mounting brackets on the frame so they would rotate, position the bag in place and move the bracket so it lines up with the holes in the bag?

Offline biggzed

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:43:41 AM »
Are they HD bags you bought off eBay? Plently of crap on eBay that doesn't fit anything without some work. If they are genuine HD bags a simple alignment of the mounting brackets on the bike should get them fitting no problem.

Zach

Offline tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
Are they HD bags you bought off eBay? Plently of crap on eBay that doesn't fit anything without some work. If they are genuine HD bags a simple alignment of the mounting brackets on the bike should get them fitting no problem.

Zach

Yeap  :up: loosen the 7/16" screws and adjust the mounts

Offline Sinker

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
Here is a picture of the mounts. As I said, the original Road King Classic bags fit perfectly. The hard bags fit my friends 2013 Road King. Is it really that I just need to adjust the brackets??

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 03:23:24 PM »
Do they clear your external wrap around guard bar? If so, it should just be a matter of adjusting the mounting brackets.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »
Looks like you have a spacer behind the rear bracket which really does not belong there. But loosen the mounts and give it a shot!

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 06:43:02 PM »
Still asking why/where they don't fit? What interferes? The brackets for the bag fasteners?

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
When you say "doesn't fit", what does that mean exactly?

If it means the mount holes in the bags don't line up with the brackets, it's exactly as these guys have said. Loosen the brackets and adjust.

I did this very thing to my RK Custom, it had the fake leather bags like a Classic. I bought a set of those cheap Chinese made ABS bags from eBay. Have to say, for $200, amazingly good quality, nice paint too. They also didn't just bolt on like the stock bags did, but with some adjustment of the brackets, they fit fine. I did have to bend the rear bracket a little bit, instead of very squareish bracket, it looks a bit more like a "Z" now.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline cbobsharley

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:12:19 AM »
          The saddle bag guards are bag specific, as stated earlier, remove guards, loosen the the upper brackets, position the brackets too fit the hard bags and tighten.

Offline 72fl

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
I'm doing the same thing on my RK Classic, one thing I do know is you may need to cut your rubber washer in half and put it between the bag and the mounting bracket, and adjust the brackets as needed, another thing is if you are going to bolt them on like others have said, you need to pry the piece out of the bracket with sma;; tipped screwdriver that has the wire on it so you have a straight thru hole there.

Offline roadkingdresser

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:03:13 AM »
looks like you have the leather bag side rails. they will not work with the hard bags.
roadkingdresser

Online PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »
All this talk and do we know why they don't  fit?! :banghead:

Offline Ridgerunner

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 02:46:47 PM »
I did this to my 2001 Roadking Classic back when new and again 5 years ago to my 2013 Roadking classic. Got the hard bags on fleabay and had my painter match my big blue pearl paint exactly. Bolt right up. I change them from leather to hard bag and back again without any adjustment to mounts whenever I want a change.

Offline Sinker

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 04:34:10 AM »
The hard bag doesn't mount due to the rear bracket sticking out too much. I read the comment about the rear spacer and that is probably the issue. Also, I have always wondered why the bags stick out so far from the fenders, the rear spacers may also be an issue there too.

Offline Wicked

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 06:20:47 AM »
The hard bag doesn't mount due to the rear bracket sticking out too much. I read the comment about the rear spacer and that is probably the issue. Also, I have always wondered why the bags stick out so far from the fenders, the rear spacers may also be an issue there too.
HD directions state those spacers are needed if the bike has the quick release sissybar or the pushed forward tour pac mounts. Makes it more convenient to get at the quick release cams. Spacer doesn't need to be that long though, if at all.

Offline Sinker

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Wicked nailed it. The spacers were 5/8 inch and I removed them. Once I take off the saddlebag guards the hard bags will fit. The leather bags also look a lot better now also. They do hit the quick release sissy bar but I rarely ever use that. Even then, you can still get into the bags, just can't open them all the way. Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.