Author Topic: Starter Won't Retract  (Read 484 times)

Offline Skin

Starter Won't Retract
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »
I'm working on a 1998 Ultra Cycles Chopper and I had to replace the starter and get the starter switch on the bars working. When I went to start the bike, the jackshaft wouldn't retract. I bought an aftermarket jackshaft and it still wouldn't retract. I disassembled the original jackshaft again and made sure there were no burrs on any of it and then tried again, same thing. I did buy an aftermarket shaft coupling from V-Twin and it came without a clip, not sure if being aftermarket it's suppose to have one. Anyway, does anybody have any ideas?  Thanks.

Offline chaos901

• Site Supporter
Re: Starter Won't Retract
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
Does the shaft retract if you operate the starter with it not mounted on the bike?

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
Fist of all disconnect the battey then remove the cover over the end of the solenoid.  Push the solenoid in with your finger, the jackshaft should move to the left and engage with the ring gear.  When you release finger pressure it should return.  If it does not something is binding or a spring has failed.  If it releases with no electricity present but not when energized I can think of a couple of things.  One would be the starter button or maybe the relay, but a fault here would likely cause the solenoid to activate as soon as the ignition switch came on.  If these two items pass further testing it could conceivably be in the solenoid itself.  The solenoid has two coils, a pull in coil and a hold in coil.  The pull in coil causes the solenoid to engage and move the jackshaft (like your finger test earlier), but after the pull in coil activates the electricity is handed over to the hold in coil and that coil remains energized till the electricity is removed, like releasing the starter button (that's my understanding, may be wrong).  If for some reason the hold in coil was remaining energized it could cause your symptom.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:24:39 PM by smoserx1 »

Offline barny7655

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
did you compare starters before you installed new one , as to gear,  length of shaft etc , i always lube the shaft, check the gear is the same length , and gear teeth are the same as ring gear ,and alignment, cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Offline bobo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »
I would check if battery is good and all cables are good

Offline TJAH

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
Check that this isn't over torqued, it could cause binding.

Offline Skin

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 03:12:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll check it over again.

Offline hogpipes1

• 49 FL Pan My 1st Bike in 1963
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »
Fist of all disconnect the battey then remove the cover over the end of the solenoid.  Push the solenoid in with your finger, the jackshaft should move to the left and engage with the ring gear.  When you release finger pressure it should return.  If it does not something is binding or a spring has failed.  If it releases with no electricity present but not when energized I can think of a couple of things.  One would be the starter button or maybe the relay, but a fault here would likely cause the solenoid to activate as soon as the ignition switch came on.  If these two items pass further testing it could conceivably be in the solenoid itself.  The solenoid has two coils, a pull in coil and a hold in coil.  The pull in coil causes the solenoid to engage and move the jackshaft (like your finger test earlier), but after the pull in coil activates the electricity is handed over to the hold in coil and that coil remains energized till the electricity is removed, like releasing the starter button (that's my understanding, may be wrong).  If for some reason the hold in coil was remaining energized it could cause your symptom.

Right on the the $$$. With this explanation ,MY 1ST thought the solenoid or binding at the ring gear. Watch the fingers with live battery.

Offline thunderalley3

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
slightly loosen the starter bolts, 1/4-1/2 turn, hit starter button and let her crank and snug them down while it is cranking. I have fixed more than 1 that way.

Offline thunderalley3

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »
Hit the wrong button and posted before I was done,,, also make sure the dowel pins are in place if there inner primary is machined for them.

Offline Skin

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:12 AM »
Thanks again for the advice, Guys, it turned out to be a binding issue.

Online Panzer

• Live one day at a time.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 12:50:05 PM »
Fixed?   And what was binding??  :nix:
Due to conservation the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.