Author Topic: Stator wiring color?  (Read 334 times)

Online Rusticwater

• Site Supporter
  • Lobsterville
Stator wiring color?
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:43:17 AM »
Here's my 2010 FXDC stator with 28K+ miles. Do I need to be concerned with the color of the wiring? No known problems. I had to replace the shifter shaft seal and I'm looking around at things while it's apart.

For the several years it was kept out west I routinely rode in 100 degree temps and the EITMS would often kick in while stopped at long lights. There was one time in particular in Houston where I was caught in stand still parking lot traffic and the EITMS ran for over a half hour, I changed the oil right away after that fun episode.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I Love Scotch! (602)
@scotchpirate

Offline Chippitt68

• Site Supporter
  • Last tme, I swear.
Re: Stator wiring color?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
This is what mine looks like with about same mileage. Original stator [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
Your stator produces AC and it's rectified in the voltage regulator into DC, so it doesn't matter about color of wiring.
Here's a pic of a trashed stator:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]  

Tip for deciding if regulator or stator is bad when not charging and you don't have to disconnect anything.  Just pull the derby cover and smell the atmosphere.  If it smells like burnt varnish it will likely have a tower like the one in the pic, and your regulator should still be good.

PC
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:55:15 PM by FSG »
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Offline smoserx1

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:55:54 AM »
You're talking about the color of the windings, not the wiring, right?  Anyway when I replaced mine (grommet leak, still charging) the windings looked like yours.  The new one was bright copper like the other picture.  I imagine it is black by now  maybe an indication of age, but not necessarily trouble?  It is your call, but I don't proactively replace parts before they fail as a general rule.

Online Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:13:19 AM »
As purdy as the new HD stator is, a CYCLE LECTRIC stator is much heavier and also insulated with rubber.  Bet that's why all the HD stators I've had to replace in my older HDs never gave me any more trouble after being replace with CE.  (No, I don't have a financial interest in CE.  Wish I did.)

Online Rusticwater

• Site Supporter
  • Lobsterville
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:14:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

The bike is apart while I'm replacing the shifter shaft seal and I'm taking the opportunity to look at and clean other things while the primary is off. This is my first time taking it apart to this level and I'm just asking questions to those of you with much more experience than me. I wanted to make sure that the black color of the wiring/insulation was not an indicative of a problem, so I'm good to go.
I Love Scotch! (602)
@scotchpirate

Offline les

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 12:02:54 PM »
Do you detect any burnt smell from the stator/primary oil?  If so, that is an indication that things are not going so well.  In fact, when you fry your stator your nose will curl when you get just a whiff. 

Offline cbumdumb

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
If it was mine and had it that far down a ce unit and rectifier would be on my list . When mine was exposed to one to many parade and traffic hot soaks I swore my stator had crapped out but the rectifier did and I changed only it . It was always on my mind. Then had my accident I tore bike down before I realized frame was toast and saw some blistering was going to get the ce stator .

With all that said you are this far down the ce stator and rectifier operates differently doesnít shunt to control voltage runs cooler and has a far lower failure rate

The factory system couldnít keep up at idle the ce rectifier  had an earlier rpm cut on . And while it still had factory stator it kept up better and my batteries seem to last longer showed a better peak charge voltage at rest.

I donít know if my m8 charging system still regulates voltage the same way as my 13 did but the day it gives the first sign of trouble I will change the whole system to a ce stator and rectifier.

Online Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 12:10:27 AM »
[size=14pI will change the whole system to a ce stator and rectifier.

Smart move as CE used to warrant their voltage regulator and stator for 2 years when changed together instead of the normal 1 yr when bought individually. 

PC

[/size]