Author Topic: 2011, 120", FLTRU, 660SM, 62/64 HPI , Burns Stainless, MVA / Baisley,  (Read 3101 times)

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
Re: 2011, 120", FLTRU, 660SM, 62/64 HPI , Burns Stainless, MVA / Baisley,
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »
Brian, I have the 49 tooth Evo and 31 trans pulley (right in the middle of the choices)  for a 3.16 ratio. First gear is fairly low but very helpfull around town or in a parking lot. Overall the ratio is kick a$$ for acceleration through the gears and they pay out real quick.
KD

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
There's also the possibility that I'll go with an 18" rear, and 21" front wheel. So I'll need to change the rear gearing accordingly for a taller rear tire. The gearing I have now is great with the 117". I figure the 124" will need less gearing, or will stay the same.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline build it

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »
Nice package
What is directionally correct? I ask myself that 100s of times per day.

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Nice package

that's what she said  :smiled:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
I've been getting lots of riding in lately and thought I'd add some observations.

This engine is happy on the highway at all RPM. It loves that 2800 to 3500 area. It seems to get better after that but I have not put on any sustained runs above 3500 cuz it's just too f'n fast for any of our highways. Passing from 2500 - 2700 RPM with a 1/2 throttle roll on (6th gear) puts you at 100 mph at the door of the vehicle you're passing. Running on cruise is effortless and grades are not even noticed in engine tone. If you re-engage the cruise (10 mph under the setting) after touching the brake, it will set you back in the seat.

Around town street manners are great. I'm still getting a little knock on the new comp at lower sub 2000 rpm easy riding but only under load (I had to install one shim to quiet it down and it will get the one more that there is room for on the next service which should silence it) and that only happens when I am sneaking around. The power is smooth and easy even at 1500 when I see a black and white cage in town.  :dgust: First and second gear (or any gear for that matter) roll-on's are quick and you have to be ready to shift. Full twist roll on is not necessary and if you do, there is no day dreaming allowed.  :hyst:

2-up with the extra weight is not even noticeably different from solo. I only tried one "moderate" roll on with a passenger (my OL) and I'm still hearing about it.  :slap:   :hyst: 

This engine runs cooler than the stage 1 103 did both on the highway and around town in traffic on a hot day. I have found myself in 6th gear at 45 to 50 mph several times when leaving a stop and easing through the gears in an area and there was no bucking or bad effects. (BTW I do downshift and put it back to the 2500ish rpm when that happens cuz I know it's not a good practice. It doesn't seem to mind though.) I can't say enough about the linear power the 660sm cams give out. They don't stop pulling from early roll on to the rev limiter in every gear.

I should add that after installing the Muller arm on my clutch the Bandit clutch with 3 shims under the silver (gray?) springs is effortless and city riding in traffic is not an issue. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:19:13 AM by kd »
KD

Offline No Cents

• there is no cure for what I got !
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 06:51:25 AM »
     :up:  :up:
  You just described exactly how my bike runs right now too. From your description mine sounds like it runs very similar to yours. Power on tap from any where in the rpm range. Just apply the wick...and go as fast as your heart desires.
I know I can't stop smiling every time I get off my bike. It's a joy for me to ride.
  I'm surprised you got your better half on it. My wifeeepooh would never get on my bike now a days. She hates it. She said I ruined it making all the changes I did to it.  :doh:   So...a solo seat is all I need.  :hyst:

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »
  You just described exactly how my bike runs right now too. From your description mine sounds like it runs very similar to yours. Power on tap from any where in the rpm range. Just apply the wick...and go as fast as your heart desires.
I know I can't stop smiling every time I get off my bike. It's a joy for me to ride.
  I'm surprised you got your better half on it. My wifeeepooh would never get on my bike now a days. She hates it. She said I ruined it making all the changes I did to it.  :doh:   So...a solo seat is all I need.  :hyst:

:hyst: :hyst:  That's cuz my other half "used to" trust me to take it easy.  :hyst: :hyst:  We were out for a putt last night and she's coming around again.   :wink:
KD

Offline No Cents

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
  with her on the back...and a quick "on & off" the throttle...and you get to feel her up against your back  :wink:
Just don't wear a t-shirt like mine. I found that my wifeeepooh didn't have much of a sense of humor when it came to my t-shirt...but she didn't mind poking her boobs up against my back...as long as I didn't try throwing her off.  :hyst:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline sfmichael

• Site Supporter
  • Hoping to build the next mighty 'mouse'
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
  with her on the back...and a quick "on & off" the throttle...and you get to feel her up against your back  :wink:
Just don't wear a t-shirt like mine. I found that my wifeeepooh didn't have much of a sense of humor when it came to my t-shirt...but she didn't mind poking her boobs up against my back...as long as I didn't try throwing her off.  :hyst:

(Attachment Link)

:up:   :SM:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »

(Attachment Link)
  One of the reasons I like leaving off the rider back  rest lol . I took Road Glide out and gf had to hang on a few times lol when I twisted the throttle above 3 k . It will rip there lol

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:19 AM »
Well, yesterday I pulled 2 gears passing a car with her on the back but as a medium roll on. Softening the shift and pull rate is the trick and she didn't even realize we were over 100 mph before pulling in.  :wink:  I think what fried her last time was when her feet came off the foot boards as she was forced back in the seat. If I didn't have the short back rest that time, I am sure I would have been riding solo.  :dgust: 

Ray, I figure if I don't freak her out she'll be OK with the "changes"  :SM: and it'll be easier to justify more.  :wink:  It's probably good for me to take a relaxing ride once in a while too.  :hyst: :hyst:
KD

Online jam65

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »
I went to the gas station towards the end of a ride and saw my gal friend as she was leaving the place. I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride as she has never been on the back of my bike. The public was never the wiser as to what was going one. It might have looked like a quick pick up for fun. Once we got out to some open roads she said that she wanted to get the hell off of my bike and she has not asked to go for a ride ever since. I'm golden.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
Just a bit of an update here. I have put on just over 5000 miles and all's GOOD. It is still a beast WOOHOO and I am constantly amazed at how fast it ramps up when I get on it.

I ran some mileage checks that I want to share. The caveat here is that no matter how I tried I always ended up pulling through the gears a few times per top up (like at least every time I pulled out on a highway  :SM: ), and on the highway hit 100 mph several times per trip (while passing etc.).  :dgust: IMO I am getting unbelievable mileage. In fact, I believe way better than the stage 1 103 I took out. I find I use barely any throttle to do what ever needs doing. Resetting the cruise at 5 -10 mph under the setting plants you right in the seat. Engine tone barely changes on grades in cruise, 

I tried slab speed of 60, 70, and 80-85 mph averages (where I thought I could get away with it).

I have been getting a high of 56 - 58 MPG Canadian gallon / 46-49 MPG US gallon when I am trying to be compliant, to a low of 48 - 50 MPG Canadian gallon / 40 - 42 MPG US gallons when I am on the boogie.  This included marginal (10 - 15%) city driving on both ends of the trips. I really haven't logged any city driving mileage to check as of yet. If I do, I will share those numbers too.
KD

Offline No Cents

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
   :up:   that is excellent mileage out of that monster!
It's great that it feels and sounds like it is never in any strain and is up to the challenge of playing around...at any given moment. When these bigger ci engines are performing at their peak...they never disappoint.  :wink: 

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

The blue run is the Dragula 1 pipe with a 2.55" baffle that I bought from a member here. After I get the Burns stinger finished I may try the 3" baffle in it to see how it does. As it stands now, it's a killer pipe performance wise and it's easy to sneak around with if I have to.  :smiled:
    Looks like a great build . I really like that pipe and I was told that the 3 inch baffle could  make a tad more power but I like the early torque. I really like the way to pipe sounds and make power. One thing that might be of interest is the cap that No cents made for his pipe . Just an idea

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »

(Attachment Link)
  Damn Ray lol Well when I got the Raod Glide home the first things the GF said where is my seat lol . I will say she needed a back rest to lol and I don't have to tell her any more to hang on lol

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

The blue run is the Dragula 1 pipe with a 2.55" baffle that I bought from a member here. After I get the Burns stinger finished I may try the 3" baffle in it to see how it does. As it stands now, it's a killer pipe performance wise and it's easy to sneak around with if I have to.  :smiled:
    Looks like a great build . I really like that pipe and I was told that the 3 inch baffle could  make a tad more power but I like the early torque. I really like the way to pipe sounds and make power. One thing that might be of interest is the cap that No cents made for his pipe . Just an idea

I feel the same about the Dragula 1. It outright gives and keeps on giving in this combination.  :koolaid: I was going to try the 3" baffle but decided to wait until I re-tuned the Burns pipe when the stinger is finished and do them both. I'm starting to get Ray's disease.  :hyst:

The stinger I have planned for the Burns pipe didn't get made because my machinist friend was busy all season earning his keep on steady client's work.  :banghead:  I have  all the parts and material ready to go. We talked a couple days ago and he's getting more freed up and wants to get on it. I have been in contact with Ray from the beginning when he first built the pipe. My stinger will be a little different than his in that it will have SuperTrapp discs mounted to it for tuning. There will also be a few mods to the machining of the basic "cap".  If it works, it should be at least as useful as Ray's end cap and maybe be a little more subdued when creeping around city streets or pulling rpm on the highway. My Burns is 8" longer in the head pipe too, so the hope is it picks up the left side torque to at least the Dragula level of 130# @ 2500 rpm and holds on to the top end like Ray's end cap did. In fact, I wouldn't mind a little more.  :potstir:

And by the way Ray, my OL didn't see the humor in that shirt either.  :nix:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:18:48 PM by kd »
KD

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
Here's another similar graph to the group that Ray re-posted his 124" to compare to. It's obvious that different components can produce similar results when properly matched. All seem to have good great power throughout the full RPM range.
KD

Offline No Cents

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
   :up:    :up:
I like these kind of graphs.
You got power at your beckon call.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2018, 06:19:02 AM »
Here's another similar graph to the group...
? :idunno:

If you look at the graph curves on the last 4 pre M8 dyno sheets you will see that all 4 have a similar set of curves and power ranges while using very different components.

As stated by No Cents near the end of his recently re-posted graph conversation, his graph, Mother's 2002 131", and anImel's 2016 124" are very similar to his 2008 124".  I added mine into the mix when I realized my 2011 120" was very similar.  Simply put, it is a very interesting comparison between 4 different combinations (including 3 different displacements) that seem to perform very much the same as each other.
KD

Offline No Cents

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 07:04:50 AM »
       :agree:    ...my point exactly.  :up:
  I know how my bike has performed and ridden in the past with a totally different looking tq/hp curve than what it has right now. It was more of a mid range to top end set up with a lack luster bottom end.  With my current set up I can be shifting at around 3500 rpm's (which is my normal everyday casual riding around shifting point), and I can actually feel the 100hp and 150tq being put down @ around 3500 rpms, compared to the previous curves I've had that delivered the power much higher up in the rpm band. I have actually lowered my rev limiter from 6500 rpms down to 6200 rpms because my power is totally delivered by then. I actually prefer seeing dyno sheets like these 4 examples instead of one where your seeing the bigger power being delivered up top.