Author Topic: GPS recomendation  (Read 388 times)

Offline jambo

GPS recomendation
« on: July 26, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
Wandering what you guys would recommend, I am looking to buy a new gps to replace my old tom tom, Bike is a 2012 ultra classic, I want one that will plug into aux port of stereo to give me turn by turn over the stereo. I already have a ram mount for the old one. and would not be opposed to xm radio on it.. Ive been looking at the Zumo's they even have TPM capability which I like.     Thanks in advance  :smilep:   

Offline CndUltra88

Re: GPS recomendation
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=99408.msg1162429#new

From earlier this month....
I sent my Zumo back as it would not charge from the external power cable.
The company wouldnt send me a new power cord to see if this was the problem.
Zumo 390 Lm...Refurbished unit it was.
Might go the route as discussed in the thread I linked.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Offline Breeze

• Site Supporter
  • middle Georgia '68 Shovel,'92 Dyna, '07 E.Glide
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:47:42 AM »
Too many makes & models for me to make a recommendation, but I will recommend one with the 5" screen.  It is a lot easier to see on a bike.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Offline jambo

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
Let me ask a different question. If I buy a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into my aux port, and I buy a GPS with Bluetooth capability will I get turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers? I looked at the Garman 595 but $800 seems pricey.   :emoGroan:

Breeze, I agree on the 5in. I have a 5in tom tom xxl now. I think its like 7 years old now
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:52:46 AM by jambo »

Offline Coyote

• HTT Janitor
  • Administrator
  • The foothills of northern CA
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Let me ask a different question. If I buy a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into my aux port, and I buy a GPS with Bluetooth capability will I get turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers? I looked at the Garman 595 but $800 seems pricey.   :emoGroan:

Breeze, I agree on the 5in. I have a 5in tom tom xxl now. I think its like 7 years old now

No, as they are different Bluetooth protocols. 
I feel the need... for twisties with speed.

Offline PoorUB

• Site Supporter
  • Tropical Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
For what ever it is worth I buy the cheapest POS Garmin with a decent screen size, last one was $160 at a truck stop because the previous POS Garmin died after 5 years. I don't worry about the audio, I have not used it in 15 years, not going to start now. You can spend a little or a lot on a GPS. The expensive ones don't seem to last much longer and may have some useful feature like satellite radio, or water resistant, listed for motorcycle use. I don't use my GPS in the rain so it gets tossed in the trunk or the pocket of my rain gear. I don't use it in the rain as there is enough going on trying to deal with limited visibility and the GPS is just one more distraction.

Sirus radio I use a Roady2 I bought 10 years ago for $20. on Ebay. I have two Roady radios. They don't like getting wet and fail, but dry out and function fine. I carry the second one just in case and have swapped them during a trip. The wet comes back to life after a few days and becomes a spare.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Offline mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
use a nuvi 2455 lmt $140 when i bought it. works very well on eglide and if it's damp i cover it with a sandwich bag and keep it covered with a hair tie. if it gets too wet it goes in the trunk slid into a can coozie. fast to take on and off , leave the powercord on bike and swap the gps into the truck with a different powercord and a bean bag mount. cheap is the way to go. no zumo or expensive unit for me.if it goes dead or gets outdated i throw it away and mount a different one. kuryakln perch mount is versatile and a new gps cradle if needed is less than $20.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:08:33 PM by mkd »