Author Topic: ..are shovels going back up in value?  (Read 2807 times)

Online Hossamania

• K1600 Owner in Training
  • Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
Re: ..are shovels going back up in value?
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 05:14:16 AM »
What is the rarest type of Harley Davidson?
A bone stock machine, unmolested, not even a sticker removed.
You would be hard pressed to find one, new or old, in any parking lot.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »

The Unicorn.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline darbone8

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
I've kept my 69 FLH as close to stock as possible but I'm not going to drive myself nuts appeasing rivet counters.  I love the way he thing looks and rides and that's what matters to me

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »

we have an 81 FL heritage edition here, otherwise know as the "peas and carrots bike" it has a factory side car! only around 740 of the bikes were  built and from the best of our knowledge 3 or less with a sidecar,,

Offline tommy g

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
so why is one fx better than the next?
Condition affects FX and effects affect fX. Expect neglect to affect FX too.  :teeth:

Cool little brain teaser you affected there.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »
...when I take my shovel out...to a run or an open house there are very few if any shovels out there. Honestly it feels great to show the younger riders the bike. The old timers appreciate it. When it starts first kick it brings back smiles on most. There is no doubt in my mind a bone stock shovel will maintain a decent value in the future especially as the new bikes prices keep going up.

Offline Snowyone

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
I'm wandering around Sturgis main drag this year and was hardly a Shovel to be seen. I understand why because most folks ride for pleasure and are not into tinkering.  I started going to Sturgis in 81 on my new 1980 80" FXWG with the flame job.  It was my only bike for 18 years and don't remember too many trips that were tinker free.  When I bought it new in 1980 it was my first Harley and after riding it for a week went and got my bike endorsement. Because it was my first Harley I didn't realize what a vibrating beast it was.  I headed down the Alcan Hwy from Fairbanks where I was living at the time and left a trail of parts and luggage along the HWY.  Learned Loctite was like American Express "Don't leave home without it".  Anyway my point is the reason there aren't many untouched stock shovelhead bikes around is you had to modify to stay on the road if you rode them.  Still have the beast and there is not a lot of stock stuff left but it's part of me and it doesn't take up much room though it has 4 roommates.  Holly crap is that a shovel on Main Street.  Yup they are, in my opinion' the best sounding Harley sporting drag pipes!

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »
When I rode into Milwaukee for the 100th, on my then still stock 76 FLH, I got a few  "Shovel!"  yells and thumb's ups from the sidewalk.  It was on the ride home that the SUV separated me from the bike. After the bones knitted the modifications started with reckless abandon. At least I didn't cut the frame.

Offline farmall

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
The recession is long over, the economy fully recovered and prices are back up. They are pretty flat corrected for inflation except for collector pieces.

If you want some fun you can correct for inflation using this: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Even new HD prices for basic models haven't gone up much. (Loaded dressers for the wealthy are high dollar but it's only money.)

How much does "value" matter if ya bought em to ride? I bought my bikes to ride and DGAF what they bring at my estate sale. Lack of originality will be someone else's problem too. I changed what I wanted to suit my use case which was daily transportation. I ain't running an 'effin' shrine.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
I changed what I wanted to suit my use case which was daily transportation. I ain't running an 'effin' shrine.

:hyst:  :up:

That's pretty much how I've treated my 76 for 23 years. Now I barely ride it and I'm thinking going old might be new.

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 05:35:52 AM »
Thanks for placing perspective on the subject Farmall. Ride em like you stole them, cause if you don't someone else will. Dirty

Offline Winston Wolf

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »
33,000$ + 10% auction fee, now that's what I'm talking about!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0118-315030/1971-harley-davidson-superglide/

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
Not that many grade #2 Shovels around, so yeah, I can see the price. Your average garage kept sorta still stock Shovel, not even close to that price. Maybe 15% of that number.

That's also a very rare model to boot. I have a friend with an original boat tail rear section in his barns rafters. Won't get rid of it.

For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline HotRodShovel

• NYC/S.FL
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
Winston, that 71 is immaculate!!!  hard to believe its so clean.  As beautiful as it is, it is NOT the rule but the exception.  The only thing left stock on mine are the heads and cases and they have been modified for big bore.  Nothing else is HD, all American but not HD.  I think thats closer to the norm these days. Kind of a shame but what the hey, its fun.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Offline dirtymike

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »
I wouldn't pay 33 grand for an airplane. Ride em like you stole them, cause if you don't someone else will. Dirty

Offline 72fl

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:20 AM »
My 72 is far from stock, I didn't build it for someone else I built it for me, I have had the Ol' girl 16 years and she is currently getting a facelift a very expensive custom one at that. When I bought my bike it did not have the original bags or fairing, all the sheet metal was factory, I sold that stuff off to finance my first build. As faith would have it I purchased a stock black set of fairing and bags that sat in my basement for 5 maybe 10 years, I sold that stuff to a guy who needed it to go back to factory stock FLH. One day I want to purchase a as close to stock 61 FLH as I can as that was the year I was born, as it is right now I am unable to ride because of Health issue's but some day I will be back in the saddle. My wife asks me why are you redoing your bike if you are unable to ride ? I tell her I was once offered $25k for MY bike by some asshat that had money beyond and he asked me whats under that cover over there ? I tell him oh thats my 72 what are you asking for that ? I tell him No sorry its not for sale, he tells me oh ya everything is for sale at the right price, I informed him that it was time for him to leave that he just doesn't understand. So with all this being said I have had in the neighborhood of 5 new dressers and 6 or 7 other used Harley's and ya know none of them held a candle to my Ol' Shovelhead, NOBODY has a bike any where near what what I have created for ME, so if it sits in the garage waiting for me to take her for a spin and stretch her legs some day, I absolutely know I will have that exhilarating feeling that I had the day I bought her. And ya know I have not been able to ride for 3 years now but I am bound and determined that one day we will be In The Wind again. :bike:

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
A couple (dozen) pieces and she is right back to stock!

Offline ViseGrips

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2018, 02:27:43 AM »

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
  • No. No RoadGlides
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2018, 03:20:23 AM »
That is a sweet looking ride.

Offline friday

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »

the only time a shovel value goes up is when theres a japanese bidder

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »
I was once at a Detroit swap meet (8th mile and Woodward)..2 buildings full of vendors...every time someone fired up a Harley the whole place roared and cheered. It was way back around 1990. A guy had a whole stack of 750 Honda engines maybe 15 or more...a guy wheeled an old rat bike (Harley...they spoke for a few minutes)..next thing the Honda vendor wheels the Harley away and the new guy takes over the bench with all the Honda parts...I allways wondered about that swap deal.

Offline Mule

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
 The Japanese are at the antique show and swap here every year and buy pan and shovel stuff up by the truck load for shipping back to Japan...

Offline david lee

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »
every bikes got a price.finding a buyers another story

Offline shovelbill

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »
something is only worth........what someone is willing to pay.
build it, bust it.....figure out why