Author Topic: ..are shovels going back up in value?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline One4Tone

..are shovels going back up in value?
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:32:11 AM »
..most recently I was told a clean stock shovel model (FLH) in good running condition was used as a down payment on a 200k house. Assuming most down payments arte in the 10% range...that would mean $20k. I asked the new home owner what was the balance of the mortgage and he said around $183k after lawyer's fees, land transfer tax, and various sucker fees. Regardless it seems like a substantial value. There are some that suggest the shovel may be the next in line after pans and knucks to escalate in value due to the fact it's relatively simple to work on and there are no on-board computers. Apparently they are highly sought after in Western Europe. :smiled:

Offline guppymech

Re: ..are shovels going back up in value?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:25:57 AM »
I don't know about future values but here's a '71 boatail FX on ebay that's currently bid up to 17K and the reserve hasn't been met.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Harley-Davidson-fx-/182691181066?hash=item2a893e320a:g:qgwAAOSwOEZZe4BR&vxp=mtr
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:11:07 AM »
Hasn't been sold either. The only guy willing to pay that kind of money, is a wealth collector needing that bike in his lineup. To buy and ride that bike, and pay that for it, well, I don't see anyone doing that.
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Julio

• Baked, not fried
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »
Prices are all over the place on shovels here. A '78 FX ad on CL asking $3k a few days ago has been deleted so I assume sold. There's a '67 FL, pretty much stock from looking at the pics, asking $8K. That's what I sold my '69 FL in 1996 for. Most seem to ask ~$5k.
The ads you see asking big bucks for them seem to run for a long time.
Who knows?

Offline JohnFlorida

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »
They,re worth more than when they were new at the dealer but dont count on retiring on one

Offline david lee

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
17k for a 71. id want $10.000 au  for my 1980-81 lowrider since ive owned since 1984.even then it would be hard to part with it.they sort of grow on you

Offline SanB2013

• Ride Wrench Ride
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »
I got my 76 last year for 4500.00.  Had to put a bit of cash into it to clean up some things and new paint but now she's sweet.  Not sure what it's worth now but no matter I won't part with it until I can't ride anymore.  I'm keeping my eye out for anymore I can find though.  I doubt their values will ever be up there with the Knuckle or Panheads but they sure are great bikes.
1976 FXE

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
Well, that '71 HD sold for $19k. Like I suggested, it'll most likely go into a collection somewhere. No one will ride it.
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Burnout

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
In Japan they are!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
People ride Shovels here too....   just not likely a $19k rare Shovel is gonna be a rider.
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
..a guy down the street has a nice original 1975 fx. He paid $7500 hundred back in 2001. The bike is clean and runs strong. Kick only and starts first kick most of the time. He says as long as he can kick it over and start it it stays with him. It has the points ignition and the round mikuni carb. Also has  the Andrews "B" solid lifter cam, and the staggered dual exhaust is about all the mods. She does have a nice shovel sound you can hear up to a quarter mile away. Offcourse the the dogs don't stop barking till he is way out of sight.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »
My shovel has so little factory left in it I refer to it as Shovelish ... or if I am feeling nice I just call it Obnoxious.

I have the numbers matching mill on a milk crate in the barn and the 4 speed is on shelf in the basement along with a couple different front ends and piles of stuff I have taken off or just replaced.  The whole pile, bike and all, will never be monetarily worth what I have spent on it but I knew I crossed that line 20 years ago.  I did it for me anyhow. These days I am lucky to burn 3 tanks of gas through her per year, it's been more than a few years since I've bought a tire for her.... the thought of selling off makes my stomach roll over.
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline david lee

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
My shovel has so little factory left in it I refer to it as Shovelish ... or if I am feeling nice I just call it Obnoxious.

I have the numbers matching mill on a milk crate in the barn and the 4 speed is on shelf in the basement along with a couple different front ends and piles of stuff I have taken off or just replaced.  The whole pile, bike and all, will never be monetarily worth what I have spent on it but I knew I crossed that line 20 years ago.  I did it for me anyhow. These days I am lucky to burn 3 tanks of gas through her per year, it's been more than a few years since I've bought a tire for her.... the thought of selling off makes my stomach roll over.
im with you but sometimes money talks

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 03:02:39 AM »

im with you but sometimes money talks

Yeah I know.  I'd regret it later but after 24 years I think if I were to sell it would be a clean break, the whole pile. Any related tools, factory and aftermarket junk, even the broken stuff plus the bike in one quick cut.  Then I'd probably drink for 3 days.  :hyst:
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline guppymech

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 06:00:56 AM »
I'm not wishing that Shovels go up in value, but they are the last tie to the old way the MoCo built bikes.  EVOs and later bikes have different frames, they don't sound or look as good (not throwing stones).  There's a guy in Chicago (motonit.com) that seems to always have nice stockish FX(E) bikes for sale at 8-10K and they don't hang around long.  I always lusted for one but couldn't afford it at that price.  I'm sure nobody is wishing for the prices to go up like that '71, we'd be priced out of the market like the current state of the car hobby.

P.S. the dogs bark like mad at my Shovel also, but not my EVO Sporty.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:10:29 AM by guppymech »
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Offline Mule

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »
Good clean unmolested shovels go for good money, Franken shovels that are worn out go cheap...

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »
I've been rebuilding the wife's '79 for so long it might actually be worth something by the time I'm done!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-'81
1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-'86

Offline david lee

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 06:11:24 PM »
I've been rebuilding the wife's '79 for so long it might actually be worth something by the time I'm done!
(Attachment Link)
is that a 1200

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »
Yes

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
Not trying to hijack this thread but that scooter on your workbench has my eye Brrrap, What is that, if you don't mind? :scoot:
Crock

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 06:30:06 AM »
1969 Kawasaki Coyote minibike. Santa gave us one for Christmas in 1969. My first powered 2 wheels at 10 years old. They've become rare and pricey. I have the complete bike and as soon as time allows, It'll get restored as close to museum quality as I can get it. I could go on for days the memory's that bike represents to me, my brothers and sisters. I was born into the bike culture and Dad wanted to get us rolling early on. We lost him to a tragic accident summer of '70 but the seed had already been planted. I built my first Harley out of pieces and have been riding them for nearly 40 years now,,,,, I'm Blessed!  :chop:

Offline david lee

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 06:48:55 AM »
(Attachment Link)
that looks like a pleasure to ride

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
That's awesome
Crock

Offline Ohio HD

• Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
(Attachment Link)

That's pretty much how we would strip down FL's to ride back in the day. It's a good look!    :up:

www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
We added the rear crash bars this time around. This bike has a long history with us. She thinks fiberglass bags are on the horizon and has spoken specifically that she retains the right to let this bike fall over. Something about our youth and dropping the bike a few times, alcohol -n- weed may have played a factor back then! The fairing is freshly repainted as are all the tins on this. The fairing will be added later if she cares for it. Also worth noting is, in our plannings, we are on the hunt for a "CLE" sidecar complete. Something to be stashed for future addition. She's 56, been packing behind me for over 35 years, it'll be her first bike. We've owned this bike and traveled many memories on it in the past. It slipped to her brother for the better part of a decade and we bought it back, for her. She knows I'm a humble, competent builder and orchestrated a total tear down just shy of anything that might disrupt the factory stickers on it. Patina mostly intact. Still we freshened the engine and transmission, all bearings, gaskets and wiring replaced. I know this bike well, seems I always have. I'm well seasoned to deal with the everyday issues of a "troublehead" they make me smile as they "Do their thing". The tool bag is always with me and on the Panhead. I can save most any moment, But,,,,,, My 2016 FLHTP "Police model" scares me! I'm helplessly "Old School"