Author Topic: ..are shovels going back up in value?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
Re: ..are shovels going back up in value?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »
I've been rebuilding the wife's '79 for so long it might actually be worth something by the time I'm done!
(Attachment Link)

That's pretty much how we would strip down FL's to ride back in the day. It's a good look!    :up:
God bless you man, It escapes some, but not all! Good to know we still exist!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-'81
1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-'86

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »
I'm helplessly "Old School"

I jumped from a shovel with a pretty solid tool kit to TC with a folding combination set of torx/allen wrenches and a tire plug kit...... and a cell phone..... and a credit card.  :embarrassed:
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
I'm helplessly "Old School"

I jumped from a shovel with a pretty solid tool kit to TC with a folding combination set of torx/allen wrenches and a tire plug kit...... and a cell phone..... and a credit card.  :embarrassed:
Yep, pretty much same here. :embarrassed:

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
This could be the  value of running a shovel..simple fix.a basic tool kit, tire patch kit, a 12 volt compressor, 6 cyl.chev points, a condenser, auto advance unit, piece of gas/oil line, a master link,spare inner tube, one headlight bulb, one 1157 tail light bulb, throttle cable, clutch cable, can of brake fluid...and some caulk to make a temp. gasket...good to go to Sturgis

Online Reddog74usa

• Site Supporter
  • "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
 :beer: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline david lee

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »
a mate of mine had a stipped 68 flh troublesome but was a nice bike.seemed to need attention before every run.can you post a pic of your pan.there getting rare to find. thanks

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »
a mate of mine had a stipped 68 flh troublesome but was a nice bike.seemed to need attention before every run.can you post a pic of your pan.there getting rare to find. thanks

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=99.300

Offline david lee

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »

http://harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=99.300
wow panheads still exist.not in australia that i see

Online Reddog74usa

• Site Supporter
  • "BE YOUR OWN DAWG"
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
They buy em n hide em  :angry:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Offline Mule

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »
When my wife got sick and needed surgery I sold my 62 pan to a guy in New Zealand!

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »
..that is one sweet panhead..next to the knuckle among the best looking motors Harley produced...thanks for sharing :beer:

Offline Winston Wolf

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 05:05:43 AM »
Well, that '71 HD sold for $19k. Like I suggested, it'll most likely go into a collection somewhere. No one will ride it.

I think the 71 FX is the one of the most expensive shovelheads. You might see a mint original 66-69 go for around the same money. I have a friend that sold a pair of them (FX's) for 50,000$ over 10 years ago. I ride mine to some events and around town when I feel like it, but not that often. Mine is nicer and more correct/original than any of the ones I've seen sell lately; I wouldn't even consider selling it for less than 25k. 

The key to value in a shovelhead is a desirable model, and as stock as possible. A Frankenstein 81 Fx isn't worth more than a couple grand. An original paint 66 FLH however, that's a different story.

Offline One4Tone

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 02:49:28 AM »
..well apparently according to the add of the "boattail"...the 71 superglide sold for $19,000 dollars. At this price one has to assume that certain models shovels are indeed going up in value. So there is hope for all us shovelhead owners :baby:

Offline Mule

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Most shovelhead riders  don't ride and keep them because of their value, but rather because they enjoy what a shovelhead is ,maintenance  and upkeep is part of that.

Offline dablaze

• Motorfool
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 09:21:05 PM »
Yeah I know.  I'd regret it later but after 24 years I think if I were to sell it would be a clean break, the whole pile. Any related tools, factory and aftermarket junk, even the broken stuff plus the bike in one quick cut.  Then I'd probably drink for 3 days

Mark, ya just couldn't go there...you would have to ditch your nickname too and we wouldn't know ya no more!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Offline yarddogg77

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
I haven't had many Harleys, in fact, I have 2 now, and I've only rode one of them once, lol. As soon as I got the Shovel I tore it down to make some preference changes. It's far from original with an S&S motor. But I really like it. I think the Shovel is my favorite bike. The pans are cool for sure, but not exactly user friendly. I would love to have a knuckle, even if it were a replica, but for a rider, I think Shovels are as modern and old as I want to go. It looks cool, easy to work on, starts with a button, and sounds great.
My shop has a grass floor and really high ceiling... Yard - Dogg

Offline david lee

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 PM »
I haven't had many Harleys, in fact, I have 2 now, and I've only rode one of them once, lol. As soon as I got the Shovel I tore it down to make some preference changes. It's far from original with an S&S motor. But I really like it. I think the Shovel is my favorite bike. The pans are cool for sure, but not exactly user friendly. I would love to have a knuckle, even if it were a replica, but for a rider, I think Shovels are as modern and old as I want to go. It looks cool, easy to work on, starts with a button, and sounds great.
yep that magic button

Offline Snuff™

• Tipp City, Ohio
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 06:59:48 AM »
I don't think their value are going back up (except '66-'69).  Been seeing an '82 EC Classic sitting out for sale down the road from me for the past 3 months.  Finaly stopped and asked about it, $6500 and not firm on the price.  Bike is clean and ~95% original.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Offline a_disalvo

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
Bought new in 1979, listed for $4,800.00, paid $4,300.00 1980's were on the floor, same bike w/ unleaded gas 80" for $5,600. Over the years I have put over $15,000 into the motor and the rest of the bike, it is a part of my life and my son already told me he wants it when I go. So it's not for sale!!! Frank [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Ohio HD

• Professional Cat Herder
  • Administrator
  • OH CRAP!
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »
Bought this '77 Super Glide in '79 from the original owner had 4,300 miles on it. I don't have a photo of the original look of the bike, just this one, being about the 3rd iteration of color tanks and fenders. I gave $3,200 for it, it was like a new bike. I owned it twice, had sold it and bought it back six years later. I can't begin to think the amounts I dropped in it, but I'll guess at $13,000 over the years. I sold it out right the last time I owned to an HD dealer, this was in 1995. They wrote me a check for $7,500. If I had the bike today and was in the same shape, paint, 98" motor, etc., it's still only worth about $7,500. So I don't see the value has increased. They hit a peak and they've pretty much stayed there.   

As Snuff said some bike will demand more money, and purely original bikes will pull more as well. But it's all about original condition.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
For the best deal on bike parts, call Calif Phil
     www.harleypartscheap.com

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Thread Locker
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 03:01:59 AM »
My 76 Frankenshovel with an extra engine and transmission and a pile of junk might add up to $10,000, I'd be lucky to get $4000.  I've had it since 94, didn't put a full tank of gas through it this year.   

My priorities have gone to hell  :hyst:
Being defenseless does not make you more safe.

Offline tomcat64

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »
are shovels going up,, sure,, genny shovels are for sure, and nice original 70's bikes are too,, but there are not many original shovels out there. you can't believe how many people come in here trying to sell there "original" shovel, and when I say ,, "so the paint, pipes, carb, air cleaner are all factory, 90% of the answers are,, "well,, no not that stuff, but the rest is,, well except the wheels and the handle bars"  :banghead:

Offline david lee

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
When my wife got sick and needed surgery I sold my 62 pan to a guy in New Zealand!
what was that worth

Offline david lee

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
so why is one fx better than the next?

Offline Brrrap

• Site Supporter
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
so why is one fx better than the next?
Condition affects FX and effects affect fX. Expect neglect to affect FX too.  :teeth: