Author Topic: Right speaker cuts out when hit a bump.  (Read 304 times)

Offline wayzalot

• Site Supporter
Right speaker cuts out when hit a bump.
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:42:52 AM »
1999 Ultra.  For a few years when I hit a hard bump in the road my right speaker would cut out. Then another bump and it would be back.  When I say speaker, I don't use the speaker so I wouldn't know. I connect to my head set in my helmet. Lately it has been connected to my Sena headset.  The short has gotten worse. If the speaker cuts out, I can get it to work again by turning up the volume (a lot) with the handle bar controls and it will come back on.  I wiggle the volume control and it doesn't change so I don't think it is in that switch. Any idea on where to start.  I could go for a ride with out the headset to see if the speakers cut out or if it is in the wires to the plug on the tank where I plug in the headset.
"My life is based on a true story"

Offline Hossamania

• Road Glide Lover
  • Site Supporter
  • 'Cuz ugly bikes need love too.
Re: Right speaker cuts out when hit a bump.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
Try testing it with the speaker, but I have a feeling it is in the head unit itself. I have a stereo in the garage that does the same thing. Sometimes if I tap on it, the speaker will come back on, or like yours, crank it up and it works.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Offline UltraNutZ

• 2012 FLHTK VTPBB
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
Being headphones, it's internal.  Call Tony at iron cross audio.

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Offline wayzalot

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:02:57 AM »
Curious what year HD radios would fit in a 1999 Ultra. Maybe I could find one from a totalled bike.  I know a guy that buys totalled bikes and repairs or parts them out. 

Offline UltraNutZ

• 2012 FLHTK VTPBB
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
you can make a 2006 - 2013 unit work with your 1999 by doing some re-wiring to maintain the 2nd plug on the back of the radios.  If you don't care about the CB/Intercom/Etc. on your 99, then the new one will plug right in and work for you.  The older radios use an analog speed control for volume, where as the newer units (2006/up) can be either and you'll need to switch that to analog in the menu section of the new radio once connected if you want the speed controlled volume to work.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Offline wayzalot

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »
Being headphones, it's internal.  Call Tony at iron cross audio.

Headphones plug in at the tank.  Could it be wiring where it runs up to the radio?  I am interested in switching out the radio but hate to do this and find out its the wires that flex everytime you turn the steering.  I have 107,000 miles on the bike.  Anyone have a 2006 to 13 radio laying around?