May 01, 2024, 05:03:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bike cuts out every mile... leave it and it re-starts?

Started by 1340evo, August 19, 2017, 01:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Quote from: Hossamania on August 21, 2017, 05:35:13 PM
Going back to fuel, is the vent working properly? Try opening the gas cap if it fails again.
Have you checked for spark when it dies? If it has spark, try shooting some fuel into the carb and restart.

not fuel... 2 ltrs / min if I just let it flow... also, takes 5-10 mins to cool before it starts... more electrical.

1340evo

Quote from: mr. pitts on August 21, 2017, 10:55:10 PM
IIRC, you need a coil with the ohms range suitable for your ignition system. A points coil will have a different range to an electronic ignition coil. They will both work initially, but the incorrect coil will overheat & break down & leave you with the symptoms you have. Just work on ONE thing at a time. If you fiddle with half a dozen things at once & it ends up not running, you'll be chasing your tail for ever. :gob:

agreed.... its 3 ohm for electronic and 5 for points.. its defo a 3 ohm on there now so when its stoped raining we'll be off for a run....

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Have you checked for spark when it dies?
When you checked fuel flow, was this right after it died, within a minute? Just ruling out a plugged vent, not allowing fuel flow, eventually it gets enough air to start flowing again.
I tend to agree that it is the classic symptom of a bad coil, possibly a breaker, but also vapor/vacuum lock in the fuel system.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

BKACHE

When you say it is not fuel. Just to check - are you running at higher speed/rpm?
I had it that the float was set too low and the bike would run fine till 70 mph - then run dry and startup in 20 seconds.
One more thing to check.
Dan

BKACHE

Also when it quits, listen closely to the circuit breaker area. You can usually hear it snapping back - if a resettable breaker is tripping due to a short. 
Dan

1340evo

Its doing it just running around town... no breakers to snap back in... and as said before, if I disconnect the fuel pipe... alll caps tight.. it does 2 leters in about 60 seconds... so not that :)

Why the comment on Accel?... had issues before??

hbkeith

Quote from: mr. pitts on August 21, 2017, 10:55:10 PM
Just work on ONE thing at a time. If you fiddle with half a dozen things at once & it ends up not running, you'll be chasing your tail for ever. :gob:
:up: , just because fuel flows with on open line while sitting in garage dosent mean it dosent vaporlock , just because coil is new dosent mean it isn't bad . NO breaker ?

fbn ent

Jump power to the white wire connected on your coil (switched wire). If it does it again you know it's downstream....module or coil.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

1340evo

Found it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and
Confession time.... a big apology to those who suggested fuel starvation... you was right... but in a strange way....

Fault 1, somehow the vent pipe had moved to under the seat... put the bike on the stand, disconnect the pipe to the carb and the fuel would flow... sit on the seat and go for a ride, pipe is crushed and vent is shut off...

Fault 2, go down a slight incline on full tanks and do a RH turn, and within 100 meters it would stop. Somehow it was stopping the RHS vent in the cap and pulling vacuum on the carb?.. who knows, but happened every time once I'd figured it... unscrew the LH cap... no problem

So.. corrective action... re-locate pipe... and change to normal filler caps (CC ones fitted)...

Thanks for all your help Guy's.. was simple in the end but had me going for sure!... best bit.. its cost nothing to put right 

fbn ent

Glad you found it.....sometimes the K.I.S.S. principle works... :bike:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Hossamania

Quote from: Evo160K on August 19, 2017, 10:42:31 PM
Have you ruled out fuel?

Going back to fuel, is the vent working properly? Try opening the gas cap if it fails again.
Have you checked for spark when it dies? If it has spark, try shooting some fuel into the carb and restart.

And, you're welcome.

1340evo

Quote from: Hossamania on August 23, 2017, 05:20:26 AM
Quote from: Evo160K on August 19, 2017, 10:42:31 PM
Have you ruled out fuel?

And, you're welcome.

Yup.. and it was your comments that started me looking at fuel again.. so thanks for that!
But you can only test whats in front of you.. blow through the cap.. check the pipe etc... what you can't predict is that 100 meters at 30 MPH, put into a slow RH bend of over 90 deg with the gas tank filled to this level, will actualy cause just the right conditions to stop the thing dead... LOL... all down to experiance I guess!!.. Thanks again... :)

BKACHE

Like the boys on 'car talk' say. The problem can be one of 4 things - and we know 3 of 'em.
Dan