May 08, 2024, 01:04:25 PM

News:

Drain Plug O-Rings

Started by egstandard, August 18, 2017, 12:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

Did Harley change the composition of the o-rings or something? Even on the lower end of the torque spec, they seem to be walking out on me. Anyone else see this?

remington007

Putting sealer on the treads?

FLHRI_2004

I usually get two or three inserts before the o-ring starts to get chewed up and I replace it.  I do use the sealer.  Does the sealer make a difference for o-ring longevity?
My Ride: Road King

Hybredhog

Some bikes/ drain holes are just hard on the Orings. They may have a small burr or not enough taper to seat it right.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Ohio HD

Quote from: jeffscycle on August 18, 2017, 03:28:23 PM
   Some bikes/ drain holes are just hard on the Orings. They may have a small burr or not enough taper to seat it right.

Probably this. 

I only ever lube the o-rings with motor oil, or primary lube, or what ever I'm changing lube.

PoorUB

I had 82,000 miles on my 2010, changed engine and primary every 5,000 miles, tranny once a year. I don't think I replaced the o'rings more than a couple times. My '05 would tear them up so the o'rings go replaced every oil change. I just used oil on them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

moose

fyi this is where I order my o rings when my buds need some I just give them some   not paying a dollar for each at HD
just cut and paste

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3541/=1908xcq
Moose aka Glenn-

TN

I didn't want to start a new thread for a silly drain plug.  :nix:

Someone gifted this drain plug to me yesterday, it seems to have a very strong magnet and a bit longer to get the end where the oil circulates. Makes sense to me and I can see no downside, plus I can say mine is longer than yours, mostly.  :bike:
Drag pt# 0710-0239
Anyone use one? feedback please

TN

Just Ride..........

jm7480

Quote from: moose on August 19, 2017, 03:47:57 AM
fyi this is where I order my o rings when my buds need some I just give them some   not paying a dollar for each at HD
just cut and paste

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3541/=1908xcq

Thanks for the link  what is the actual size of the HD oring replacement and which part number do you order  .

smoserx1

Just go on eBay and search for 11105.  Get you a whole pack of them for next to nothing (compared to the dollar or so the dealer charges).  Use a new one every time and don't worry about trying to make one last.  These items are the very definition of "disposable."

moose

Chemical-Resistant VitonĀ® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring
1/16 Fractional Width, Dash Number 013                     number013 on the o ring page

Packs of 100
ADD TO ORDER
In stock
$7.72 per pack of 100
9464K18
Moose aka Glenn-

rbabos

Wrong size O rings is why the walk or get chewed up. They were incorrect on my 07 and I doubt HD got any smarter since with sizing. Compression should occur about the last revolution of the plug.
Ron

egstandard

It's weird, but something has changed for sure. I used to be able to get 3 changes on an o-ring. Seems like in the last year, I have noticed this problem. I'll try some of the ones listed above. And i do use oil on the o-ring, and just a dab of teflon paste.

Ohio HD

This is what I use, 75 durometer viton o-rings. I have never had one of these tear, or leak.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_72_77&products_id=3289

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 20, 2017, 07:45:54 AM
This is what I use, 75 durometer viton o-rings. I have never had one of these tear, or leak.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_72_77&products_id=3289
I went to viton as well. Not the original,  use one time if lucky oem o-ring that had too much cross section. From then on each ring could be used over and over again. Never squished out, never tore and never seeped.
Ron

twincam8888

Quote from: smoserx1 on August 19, 2017, 05:40:01 AM
Just go on eBay and search for 11105.  Get you a whole pack of them for next to nothing (compared to the dollar or so the dealer charges).  Use a new one every time and don't worry about trying to make one last.  These items are the very definition of "disposable."
:agree:
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on August 20, 2017, 08:03:02 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on August 20, 2017, 07:45:54 AM

I went to viton as well. Not the original,  use one time if lucky oem o-ring that had too much cross section. From then on each ring could be used over and over again. Never squished out, never tore and never seeped.
Ron

Exactly, and at $0.06 each      :up:

egstandard

Thanks guys. I'll order some.

Breeze

Thanks for the link  what is the actual size of the HD oring replacement and which part number do you order  .
[/quote]

9/16" x 7/16" x 1/16" thick
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.