April 16, 2024, 01:39:20 PM

News:

25 tooth transmission sprocket

Started by flatfifth2003, August 23, 2017, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatfifth2003

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a 25t transmission sprocket on a 65 before? I am putting in new mainshaft seals and thought it would be a good time to change the sprocket.  I am not running an o ring chain not sure if there will be clearance issues. Thanks in advance!

kd

They are a larger sprocket and run the chain real close to an aluminum primary if you are using one. A loose chain or lowered / sagged suspension makes it more likely to hit.
KD

flatfifth2003

That's what I was thinking also it is an flh the service manual says it has a 24t stock, I was looking to lower the highway rpm's I guess I'll just buy a 24 for it. I was just wondering if anyone is running a 25the bike is completely stock I don't want to take a chance of damaging something  thanks

tmwmoose

A 25t on a Pan well don't get upset when the neighborhood kids out pedal you down the street

Hillside Motorcycle

I agree.
A 25T trans sprocket on a Pan, or Shovel for that matter, will suck the mechanical leverage of the gearbox down so far, you'll have Lil' Rascal handicap scooters, eating you for lunch.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tmwmoose

Quote from: kd on August 23, 2017, 08:37:24 PM
They are a larger sprocket and run the chain real close to an aluminum primary if you are using one. A loose chain or lowered / sagged suspension makes it more likely to hit.

I think you maybe misinterpreting the book the 24 your referring to is the front motor sprocket Harley never made or used a 24t trans sprocket 23 was tops on the latter shovels

JamLazyAss

Quote from: Scott P on August 24, 2017, 04:13:11 AM
I agree.
A 25T trans sprocket on a Pan, or Shovel for that matter, will suck the mechanical leverage of the gearbox down so far, you'll have Lil' Rascal handicap scooters, eating you for lunch.
:hyst:  :pop:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

flatfifth2003

Quote from: tmwmoose on August 24, 2017, 04:29:06 AM
Quote from: kd on August 23, 2017, 08:37:24 PM

I think you maybe misinterpreting the book the 24 your referring to is the front motor sprocket Harley never made or used a 24t trans sprocket 23 was tops on the latter shovels
I just looked at it again you are correct. It is showing 22t for the transmission.......don't I feel like a dumbass now! Thanks everyone for the replies!

Deye76

August 25, 2017, 05:02:53 AM #8 Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:14:51 AM by Deye76
"Harley never made or used a 24t trans sprocket 23 was tops on the latter shovels"

I  ran a 24T tans on my 75' Superglide (stock was 23) loved it. 25 does come close or hit a aluminum primary.
Could have been only aftermarket, but I got them at the dealer back in 75'.

"NOS 24 TOOTH TRANSMISSION SPROCKET HARLEY BIG TWIN 4 SPEED SHOVELHEAD PANHEAD HD">on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHROME-SWITCH-HOUSINGS-82-95-HARLEY-BIG-TWIN-FXST-FLT-FXR-DYNA-SPORTSTER-XLH-/162285041521
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HogMike

Quote from: flatfifth2003 on August 23, 2017, 05:08:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever used a 25t transmission sprocket on a 65 before? I am putting in new mainshaft seals and thought it would be a good time to change the sprocket.  I am not running an o ring chain not sure if there will be clearance issues. Thanks in advance!

I'm running a 25 on my 65 pan but this bike is 93" with some head work and a torque cam.
Also has Andrews gear set........see? It's all about a "package"
Pulls pretty good in high gear
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal