April 30, 2024, 08:10:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buying a 1971 FLH, need your comments.

Started by 243ron, April 29, 2009, 06:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappyfreebird

that fuggar is simply gorgeous,,,sad fer a full growed mayun ta hafta admitt hes sportun a stiffeee jus fum lookin at bike pix!!!

jerite

BBBBOOOOOIIIIINNNNNNNGGG.......AAAAAHHHHHH! Love those old shovels.....I need a cigarette after that...and I don't smoke!
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

reg_beagle

That's a beauty, Ron. Survivors like that are few and far between. You the lucky man. More pix when you get a chance.
Al

Ultrashovel

I never heard about a bad year for a Shovelhead. 1971 was not a good economic time for Harley-Davidson as they were fighting off the onslaught of the Honda CB 750's and the Kawasaki 900's.

I can tell you from working on numerous Shovelheads of various years that there are some "mechanics" out there that need retraining. There seems to be a semantic problem with the use of the word "rebuilt".

76shuvlinoff

QuoteThere seems to be a semantic problem with the use of the word "rebuilt"

Yes, my 76 was "rebuilt" when I bought her.    :angry:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ultrashovel

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on May 12, 2009, 06:01:19 PM
QuoteThere seems to be a semantic problem with the use of the word "rebuilt"

Yes, my 76 was "rebuilt" when I bought her.    :angry:

Right!

To me, rebuilding a motorcycle engine means only one thng - bringing it back to the clearances shown in the factory service manual. It's about getting a proper rebore with a correct fit using torque plates. It's about doing a proper three angle job on the valve seats, reaming new valve quides, setting the spring distances and in general, doing all of those things right that often are overlooked or just let go.

Too often people wiil do a "rebuild" with nothing other than a set of rings, some gaskets, some lappng compound and call it a day. Small wonder the poor Shovelhead got a bad name for reliability.

The reality is that when they are set up correctly, they are as reliable as any motorcycle.