May 04, 2024, 02:27:51 AM

News:

Stiff Clutch

Started by randyman, August 29, 2017, 08:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randyman

Love my 2017 Ultra Limited but holding the clutch in while stopped in traffic.  Does anybody know how to reduce the leverage?  I have broken several bones in both hands and have had carpel tunnel surgeries in both.

HDDOC

I slip into neutral at lights, But the VPC with orange springs should work well.
2019 Tri Glide

hogpipes1

I never have the clutch in at a light.  cables if you have one,  along with  throw out bearing  get stressed  . get bumbed from behind you roll the gas and pop the clutch. Happened to a friend at a light, hit the car in front.. Just my way of riding  around town.

Ohio HD

I'm always in gear, and clutch in. You see a car from behind not stopping, or coming from the side, you better be able to roll fast. Cable and throw out bearings can be replaced. You, not so much.

cmashark

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 30, 2017, 11:15:34 AM
I'm always in gear, and clutch in. You see a car from behind not stopping, or coming from the side, you better be able to roll fast. Cable and throw out bearings can be replaced. You, not so much.

Exactly :up:
2021 FLHXSE

hogpipes1

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 30, 2017, 11:15:34 AM
That can work also if your not boxed in . Me , eye's  always watching the rear and working the brake . so  far been lucky  the dumb asses looked up from the  ph. to hit the  brakes . Didn't make any diff.  in gear or not a  few yrs ago in  phoenix . Crack head with dump trk took out 6 or 8 sitting at a light. Everyone knows  there is alot of risk  riding a bike and dealing with  traffic.

PoorUB

Quote from: hogpipes1 on August 30, 2017, 07:29:52 PM
That can work also if your not boxed in . Me , eye's  always watching the rear and working the brake . so  far been lucky  the dumb asses looked up from the  ph. to hit the  brakes . Didn't make any diff.  in gear or not a  few yrs ago in  phoenix . Crack head with dump trk took out 6 or 8 sitting at a light. Everyone knows  there is alot of risk  riding a bike and dealing with  traffic.

Don't let yourself get boxed in!
I normally will stop way to the right or left of the lane with room to maneuver around the vehicle in front of me so I can ride away if I need too. Do not stop in the middle of the lane, right behind the vehicle! A seconds worth the thought might save your life some day.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ViseGrips

:agree:..to the left or to the right ...and also because the centre of a lane can be slick with oil and other fluids dripped from vehicles....especially in wet conditions

randyman

Shifting to neutral at every stop in stop and go traffic is not practical

Jim Bronson

I've never ridden an M8, but my buddy bought a RK, and his big complaint was the clutch. It is hard to pull and engages quickly at the end of the travel. There is apparently no adjustment available on a hydraulic clutch.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

stro1965

There are a few options as far as reduced reach levers. I got one from Softbrake that works well and made a big difference, and Oberon makes one too. Or you can just bend your lever back about 1/2" or so. It will help.

lucasg

I took out two M8 bikes for a test ride at demo day last Sunday :  a Street Glide Special and a Ultra Ltd.  I didn't find the clutch pull to be stiff or hard, just the lack of adjustment or engagement is what I didn't like . 

PoorUB

hogpipes1

Quote from: randyman on August 31, 2017, 02:18:49 PM
Shifting to neutral at every stop in stop and go traffic is not practical

With 2 major left  hand/wrist operations from 50 + yrs of pulling in clutches. It's very practical  for me . AMP clutch box, easy boy  pull,they work some . but  i don't need the stress from holding in the clutch, or another oper.  i ride almost everyday  all yr round . When you get bone on bone  pain from pulling the clutch in  , Netural feels pretty damn good.

Rockout Rocker Products

One thing that might help & is simple & (relatively) cheap....

Get the grips from the Ultra/Limited Low models. They are reduced diameter & will bring your hand closer to the lever for more..... leverage. Most people think that the bars on the low models are reduced in diameter at the grip sections, not so.... just different grips. Take a trip to the dealer & sit on a Low... you'll see.

Note... There are no stock, reduced diameter HEATED grips, if you want those you'll need to visit the P&A catalog.

:up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 03, 2017, 03:19:32 PM
. . . Note... There are no stock, reduced diameter HEATED grips, if you want those you'll need to visit the P&A catalog.

My local dealer was able to order the reduced diam. heated grips for me in 2014.  I hope they still carry them for when mine crap out.
My Ride: Road King

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: FLHRI_2004 on September 03, 2017, 04:46:15 PM
. . . Note... There are no stock, reduced diameter HEATED grips, if you want those you'll need to visit the P&A catalog.

My local dealer was able to order the reduced diam. heated grips for me in 2014.  I hope they still carry them for when mine crap out.

Are they the stock, plain rubber grips that are wired internally like the regular Limited, or rubber & chrome grips that are wired externally? The latter are through the P&A catalog.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 03, 2017, 07:24:04 PM
Quote from: FLHRI_2004 on September 03, 2017, 04:46:15 PM

Are they the stock, plain rubber grips that are wired internally like the regular Limited, or rubber & chrome grips that are wired externally? The latter are through the P&A catalog.
Externally wired Rubber & Chrome so I'm good.
My Ride: Road King

hd06myway

I always put the bike in neutral at a light I know a lot of people don't they even train you not to I've heard, but I can shift into gear in a NY sec. if need be, or if hit form behind I'd rather be in neutral anyway...  :pop: my guess it's probably 50/50 those who do and those who don't...

Kansas

I put a set of Kuryakyn Trigger Levers on.  I've used them in the past to help my little arthritic hands with the clutch.  On the M8 they helped a little bit, but not near enough.  I wish Harley or somebody would address the problem.  I'd suggest calling the HD customer service line and let them know that a significant number of us are having an issue with the non adjustable hydraulic clutch being "a handful".

PoorUB

Quote from: Kansas on October 09, 2017, 02:01:07 PMI'd suggest calling the HD customer service line and let them know that a significant number of us are having an issue with the non adjustable hydraulic clutch being "a handful".

Problem with that is the majority of riders probably have no issue, or maybe even like the hydraulic clutch, I know I like it. The aftermarket is you only answer.

Hogleverage.com

hd06

Rekluse makes a auto clutch for TC they will probably come out with one for M8 soon.

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

klammer76

Quote from: Pete_Vit on October 10, 2017, 08:17:29 AM
:agree:  Auto Clutch 

https://youtu.be/sGS7Pu9i8Gg

Saw this demoed at Laconia Rally two years ago. I was impressed with it. Don't need it yet but am starting to have some hand issues, so down the road may be a good option.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: klammer76 on October 10, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on October 10, 2017, 08:17:29 AM
:agree:  Auto Clutch 

https://youtu.be/sGS7Pu9i8Gg

Saw this demoed at Laconia Rally two years ago. I was impressed with it. Don't need it yet but am starting to have some hand issues, so down the road may be a good option.
:up: yup ! when someone posted this earlier and I saw how easy the install was and how it worked I was sold on the idea for down the road if I ever get to the point I just can't pull the clutch any longer 
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

SLAATY

Quote from: hd06 on October 09, 2017, 05:47:14 PM
Rekluse makes a auto clutch for TC they will probably come out with one for M8 soon.

This. A buddy of mine has one on his '16 Ultra and loves it. Great suggestion hd06.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Don't know if this applies.

If the reservoir is overfilled they will create back-pressure. DOT4 should NOT be added between services.
Tom

randyman

I ordered a Rekluse from one of my local dealers yesterday.

woodreaux

I  bought the Soft brake lever for the reduced pull which seems to help for all day riding~5-600 miles.

Some folks on the HDforum indicated łthat using  AIM's A&S clutch springs  with the Soft brake or other reduced pull lever was very good, I remember some reporting of this combination may be for stock or stage 1&2 -

ron1026

Use the orange springs with the AIM. Nice easy pull and works well with the Oberon or softbrake lever.