May 01, 2024, 07:47:07 PM

News:

Engine vibration on acceleration

Started by 1340evo, August 30, 2017, 02:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

hbkeith

1340evo

ok.. i get what you are saying... so you can get bearings that replace the rubber bush?... what goes on the back of the gearbox... I thought that was a rubber bush set up onto the shaft?... however... I'll take a closer look... its one part of the bike i've not had in bits so far ...

1340evo

Thought we may be on to something there, but these are what I have an invoice for :-

SWING ARM CLEVEBLOC BUSHING ASSEMBLY  , 47556-81

Take it these are standard?.. but still may be hard and need riding in... took a cap off last night and the arm / enginge is set low... but may be for clearance reasons? but bolt head does come close to the metal end of the housing... will have to inspect closer....

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

FXRMIKE

That is the stock Clevbloc set up and the offset is normal.

1340evo

Quote from: FXRMIKE on September 01, 2017, 01:22:42 PM

Thanks Mike.... can you assemble these wrong.. obviously the outer block could be turned upside-down, but that would more the back up a few mm... how does the rubber thing work.. its this that hold the full back end of the engine and swing arm on?... can't find much on a 1989 FXR... you sure this looks correct???...

[attach=0]

FXRMIKE

Quote from: 1340evo on September 01, 2017, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: FXRMIKE on September 01, 2017, 01:22:42 PM

Thanks Mike.... can you assemble these wrong.. obviously the outer block could be turned upside-down, but that would more the back up a few mm... how does the rubber thing work.. its this that hold the full back end of the engine and swing arm on?... can't find much on a 1989 FXR... you sure this looks correct???...

[attach=0]

Who did the work on the swing arm? If you take off the pivot block you will see the rubber mounts ( isolators ) are drilled offset for the pivot shaft so that is why you are seeing the shaft sitting lower. The vibration could be coming from the new parts, a break in period will be experienced but I'm not sure if the swing arm will be the culprit here.

1340evo

September 02, 2017, 01:18:27 AM #32 Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:23:59 AM by 1340evo
Okay.. thanks for that.. so your saying it is correct...
when I got the bike, itwas 90% built but not finished... so I've done a lot of the cosmetic bits myself and change to how I like it... but already found the front mount to be upside-down... Taper onto the gera box input shaft not done to 60 LBF so it damaged the shaf / clutch hub (upgraded now to 1990 splined shaft and basket).. electrical earth problems etc... so I'm basicaly questioning everything... He's spent the money and on some things he's got it spot on... but on others he's made silly mistakes or done things for a reason I don't know.
My thinking here was... he'd put the front mount on upside down, has he also done something with the rear to lower the enging a bit... to allow for the non-std rocker covers?... But if you are saying these are right....
Not had them in bits as I don't know exactly how they work.. I did un-do the two bolts on the holder a few turns, but could hear the back suspebtion creacing.. so stopped... I gues you need to support the engine when you do this...
So, do they only fit in one way... is there no way of getting it wrong... even if they were in 'not to book' would it make a differance?

on the mont block when you look at other pictures, the longer side looks to be on the bottom, shorter to the top... but could be camera angle as they tend to be on the side stand... I was going to see if they would fit the other way around... but guess if they don't thats it.... Thanks

hbkeith

You never realy said when the vibration started , was it there from the very first time you rode the bike ( did you test ride it)?? or after something was done

1340evo

There from the start I guess... but he'd taken the S&S carb off before he sold and put a CV carb on.. was not running right so had to set it up before I could really give it some...