April 20, 2024, 08:02:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear Brake

Started by PJultra, September 05, 2020, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJultra

98 Ultra, stock brakes. I replaced the pads, but the inner one doesn't sit parallel to the rotor,
The top half of the pad pushes against the outer portion of the disk, and the bottom half of the pad doesn't touch at all.
I've installed them twice with the same result. (I do have the Clymer book).
There's not much to putting these on, so what would cause this?
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

JohnnyCashPan

First thing I'd do is toss that clymer and get a factory service manual.
I'll guess it's the mounting of the caliper.  One of the surfaces has a burr or piece of crud forcing it to sit at an angle to the rotor.
Old, slow and fat...

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

That's the single piston caliper, yes? I wonder if the inside "floating" end of the caliper is bent. Do you recall doing a panic stop in the past, and maybe jammed down hard on the brake pedal?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PJultra

Quote from: JW113 on September 06, 2020, 08:57:38 AM
That's the single piston caliper, yes? I wonder if the inside "floating" end of the caliper is bent. Do you recall doing a panic stop in the past, and maybe jammed down hard on the brake pedal?

-JW

Negative. I replaced the old pads because they were getting thin. The only thing different is the new pads. There was no issue with the old pads.
I think I'll start from scratch including bleeding the brakes to get all new brake fluid and do a good inspection of all the parts.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I would suggest removing and cleaning the Piston. Perhaps even a new O-Ring. And, use a good syn Brake Grease on both the Slide Pins - See what happens??
Tom

PJultra

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on September 06, 2020, 10:07:44 AM
I would suggest removing and cleaning the Piston. Perhaps even a new O-Ring. And, use a good syn Brake Grease on both the Slide Pins - See what happens??

Good call. I didn't think of that. I had to do that on the front of my shovelhead years ago. Thanx.

PJultra

September 06, 2020, 05:12:21 PM #7 Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:41:18 PM by PJultra
I hope this works....

I had forgot to mention that I had the wheel off to change the tire. I did recheck the alignment.
First pic is inner pad to disk, see how its cockeyed. I just adjusted wheel alignment, same outcome.
Second pic is outer pad. Its the shiny thing at top with its reflection off of disc. It's aligned.
Third pic is of pads and clip installed. 

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attach=2]