May 01, 2024, 08:12:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR 1989 rear engine rubbers... are these things right???

Started by 1340evo, September 11, 2017, 04:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Okay.. been reading and looking at all sorts,and I'm still not sure if my mounts are in right?.. That said, they will only go in where the engine sits and if turned would put the engine up I guess... so maybe there is little option as my rocker covers are already quite close to the top frame?

[attach=0]

Rsw

Doesn't look right to me I don't see the little nub that holds it in the outer bracket. On the touring bikes it was was towards the top

Flhfxd

That certainly doesn't look right there. I would check for any lateral movement at the rear wheel. Your clevebocs are prolly shot. Fairly easy job if you have access to a press.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Will-Run

When bottomed out like that , its time for Cleve Block replacement. You should be feeling some unhealthy vibes with
it like this.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

thumper 823

D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

1340evo

No.. its all brand-new.. but its been put together like this... TBH it rides well, but I do have vibration on acceleration.. but can't see how this would cause it?... The D cutout is about 5 o'clock in the picture inbetween the two dots...

Rsw

Ok I see it now . Is that where the slot is on the bracket?

1340evo

There is a pin on the bracket that goes in the D slot... but TBH, I'm not sure the Bracket's are on the right way up.. If you look at them they have a short and long side... looking at pics I've seen them both ways, but nothing clear in the manual...

[attach=0]

Flhfxd

Easy enuff to flip 'em over......to see how it looks  :pop:  just support everything before you do
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Ajayrk

The hole or square relief goes up to the front.  Same as an FL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEqzdmJ95ss   See the two red dots at 1.40 mins.
AJ

1340evo

So just rotate both by 180 deg to put the D at 11.00...But wont that lift up the engine at the back? and push it forward?... I have very little room as it is rocker box to top tubes... maybe this is why it was done this way in the first place?....

But, will it solve the vibration issue... I guess you are putting more rubber between the frame and the cross bolt??

Just watched the video... they have mounts that have the holes in the middle... if you look at my mounts they are off centre and also not straight... they stagger down like these...

[attach=0]

Ajayrk

FXR frame to rocker box is tight.  The front mount usually has to be removed to lower the engine enough to allow room to remove the rocker box.

The entire engine transmission assembly will move forward and give a little room.

There should be a pin in the cover that locates the rubber isolator in the proper position.  If no pin is there it should have a hole where the pin goes.
Later model covers have a raised rectangle cast in to fit a slot in the rubber.  You may have to swap left and right covers.

Proper position of the rubber isolator should reduce vibration.  It is offset to control which way the engines moves when it is running.

A worn front motor mount will cause some vibration.
AJ

Ajayrk

The rubbers are not round, they are offset and look squashed when new.  Loosen the shaft and rotate the rubbers.  the covers have a bore that the rubbers fit into and that is what supports the rubbers that support the transmission.  At about 45 sec you can see the shaft is off center in the rubber.
That is the design to control the engine and transmission movement front to rear instead of up and down.
AJ

1340evo

yes.. just looking.. but it will lift the engine a good 1/2"... and push it forward 1/4"... Mmmm... will have to have a play see if that works?....

so front 11.00 o'clock.... FXR's are the same right??... :)

Ajayrk

FXR and FLH use the same three point mounting system until around 2009.  Support the transmission, remove the shaft and rotate the bushings on the shaft.  There should be a hole drilled into the inside of the cover bracket with a split pin pressed into it.  The pin fits into a hole or slot in the bushing that locates both isolators equally around the pivot axle.  Later isolators have a slot.
AJ

1340evo

yes.. thanks... I'm just wondering if its been done to lower the engine as it has difo rocker covers on to standard... may be they are taller?. the front mount is also fitted below the cross member and not above as is normal (always wondered why).. but, I will give it a try for sure and see if they hit... can't see any other rerason not to do it as everything else is clear.... job for the weekend .... thanks for the info

Deye76

The newer rubber isolator is a little different than the older ones, but still lines up with locator pin on the covers, or a slot in the covers if the pin was in the isolator.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ajayrk

There is also a left and right bracket.

36      47825-81      END CAP, LEFT

37      47826-81      END CAP, RIGHT
AJ

1340evo

Yes.. Thanks.. Those are the ones with a pin in them

Its been done for a reason I'm sure.. Zodiac billet look rocker boxes fitted

The bike is lowered to look more like a fat boy... Wonder if its something they do to give a super low look?...

1340evo

Anyone tell me the height of the std FXR rocker box assys?... I think these after market ones are taller?... Thanks

hbkeith

Quote from: 1340evo on September 12, 2017, 01:17:55 PM
Anyone tell me the height of the std FXR rocker box assys?... I think these after market ones are taller?... Thanks
the whole stack , about 2 3/8 " at the highest .  trying to make a FXR look like a Softail ?  :scratch:

turboprop

All evo big twin engines share the same rocker boxes, only differences with other models is the finish. Nothing specific about FXR rocker boxes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1340evo

Quote from: hbkeith on September 12, 2017, 04:32:56 PM
the whole stack , about 2 3/8 " at the highest .  trying to make a FXR look like a Softail ?  :scratch:

Well.. it ticked a few boxes and came as a bit of a project.. always loved FXR.. but do like bigger tanks and front end... its a single seat (shown here testing the rear pad)... and I just looked right for me....

[attach=0]

Anyway... back to business.. they are Zodiak covers but are 52mm so a tad lower than std units by the sound on it?... so can't work out why its so close to the frame on the rear cylinder.... I'm sure if I put the D to 11.00 o'clock it would hit the frame??

All the arm bushing in new so rubbers should be okay in there?... strangs one??

Ajayrk

AJ

1340evo

I don't think so... the engine is all standard except the rocker covers?????