Don't forget changing the fuel filter and inlet sock

Started by Rusticwater, October 22, 2017, 06:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticwater

October 22, 2017, 06:36:59 AM Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:07:25 PM by Coyote
You cannot see attachments on this board.

This is what they looked like at 25.5K miles from my 2010 FXDC.
Support the Maine lobster industry

koko3052

If you have only been fueling up directly from the pumps & not from pails or jerry cans, I would say that is a lot of crap inside there. :wtf:

Rusticwater

Always from pumps, premium fuel, and from a "3 hose" pump if possible. 2/3 of that mileage is from mostly Conono gas in Denver (3 hose pumps), 1/6 from Citgo in Maine (1 hose pump), 1/6 from Shell in Houston (1 hose pump).

Breeze

I gotta ask, what is an "inlet sock"?  The top item in photo? Where does it go?  I have an old Dyna, not up on newer ones.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Rusticwater

Fuel filtering on these models is a two stage process. The inlet sock is the first step and acts as a strainer for the fuel pump. The fuel filter comes after that.

The inlet sock snaps onto the bottom of the fuel pump assembly and, more or less, ends up sitting on the bottom left side of the fuel tank acting as the fuel pickup.

The color of a new inlet sock is the same as that paper towel I used as a backdrop.

Breeze

Thank You for the explanation. I couldn't get past "inlet sock" as being part of AIR cleaner.  :embarrassed:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Tsani

Quote from: koko3052 on October 22, 2017, 06:52:10 AM
If you have only been fueling up directly from the pumps & not from pails or jerry cans, I would say that is a lot of crap inside there. :wtf:

Can't agree with this. Every time I have taken a look at mine, no issues at all. Maybe it depends on were you live  :nix: or what stations you refuel at. But mine looks good. Still change em out tho since I am in that far. No residuals in the tank either.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

PoorUB

I never changed the filter on my '05, too much hassle with the screw down cover. I replaced the filter on my '10 around 60,000 miles and should have done it sooner, maybe at 30,000 as it was in bad shape.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FlaHeatWave

60k+ miles on the original '09 SERG fuel filter so I guess it's about time for a change  :nix:

This is my first time, 'have the (Snap-On) tool to remove the ring and the normal hand tools...

The book calls for Filter Kit #61011-04A, do I need to purchase Strainer, Fuel Pump Inlet #75254-04A or can the OE Inlet Strainer just be cleaned out?? Is this the "sock" referred to in this Thread??

Any other special tools or tricks to be aware of?? Any other parts that are usually required??

Thanks,
Ed   
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

PoorUB

I would replace both. The pickup strainers can get weak and fall apart. It is one of those "may as well" parts.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rusticwater

Yes, 75254-04A is the inlet sock, that's just the nomenclature my service manual uses. It snaps on using 2 tabs. FWIW my dealer had to order it in, it's just packaged in a flimsy plastic pouch and one of the tabs was broken off, so they had to order another one.

The Dyna tank is a different setup so I can't say what else you may need, however, I had to disconnect the internal fuel line from the fuel pump assembly to remove it and the manual called for replacing the fuel line o-ring (11387A) before plugging it back in.