March 28, 2024, 05:03:39 AM

News:

Oil lines What to use

Started by maicoman, November 22, 2017, 05:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maicoman

Hello to all.Working on a 72XLC what is everyone using for the eng-oil tank oil lines? I was toying with the idea of running SSbraided lines with the correct fittings but it doesn't look like the fittings would clear the speedo cable/solonoid/batt. side.thanks,tom south florida

JW113

I used to think stainless braid was cool, but after too many years of it poking up my fingers getting them on/off, and then the braid hacksawing anything it touches, I use only rubber lines anymore. Don't use rubber hose for gasoline, it's not rated for high temperate. I use transmission oil cooler hose, any decent auto parts store will have it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Don't get any hose that is fatter than gas hose as you may have trouble routing it.

I have used Gas hose (not chinese) for years with no trouble.

I HATE stainless covered hose, it is evil incarnate.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

I don't find that the rubber hose made for oil coolers is any thicker than gas hose. And yes, you can certainly get away with using gas hose for oil lines, a lot of people do it. Most gas hose is 30R5, and is rated at 212degF max (intermittent), and 176degF continuous. If you're OK with that, then that's your call. Oil cooler hose is typically J1019, and rated for 300degF continuous. Give the choice of the two, why not use the higher rated stuff since we surely know oil a Harley-Davidson, and especially an Ironhead, gets a lot hotter than 212F.

YMMV!

-JW

Ivan RoachCoach

On my '74, I use 3/8" s/s braided oil/gas line exclusively on EVERYTHING...and I'll tell you why.

If I ever get a leak, break, or have an issue of any kind, all I have to do is reach into my saddlebags for the repair kit, which I keep in a cylindrical cookie tin.
It consists of:
1 foot of spare line
4 barb-to-barb brass fittings
4 hose clamps

Since my fuel, oil & cooler lines are all the same size, I can splice in a new section & be down the road with the problem solved in no time.
Besides the s/s braiding protects the fuel line from hot jugs, exhaust, etc.
You have to keep "Potty mouth" as simple as possible. :chop:  :chop:  :chop:
Sportsters --- Making mechanics out of riders & kicking Big Twins in the motherfucking balls since 1957.

garyajaz

to a fellow Maico rider
I use stainless. why?
I like the pain from all those stainless "hairs" sticking into my fingertips.

well, no. that is a well known result of using them.
they don't get cut , are tough. mine been on over 30 years.
look good if that counts.

Ivan RoachCoach

"I like the pain from all those stainless "hairs" sticking into my fingertips."

You can avoid that by taping off the braided line with strapping tape where you're going to cut.  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:
Sportsters --- Making mechanics out of riders & kicking Big Twins in the motherfucking balls since 1957.

nibroc

Quote from: Ivan RoachCoach on November 25, 2018, 01:45:29 PM
"I like the pain from all those stainless "hairs" sticking into my fingertips."

You can avoid that by taping off the braided line with strapping tape where you're going to cut.  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

if ya got a real good hack saw blade

Ivan RoachCoach

Actually, I use a Dremel for that particular job.  ;) ;) ;)

garyajaz

lol  yep, i also use a wheel cutter.

its over years clamps on off that starts them to fray.

Burnout

If SS lines save your hoses, you may need to look at your riding style.  :wink:

How do you tell if your SS hose has American or Chinese rubber in it?    :dgust:

How can you be sure you got all the stainless grindings out of the hose?    :fish: :pop:

I'd rather have new tires and no perforated flesh (the lack of hacksaw like marks on anything SS hose rubs on pleases me). 

Ivan RoachCoach

WHAT?????????????

Who cares where the rubber comes from ----- one has ZERO control over that.
Just buy auality line from Russell, Goodridge, letc.

As far as shavings go...well maybe you just don't know how to cut braided line properly & cleanly.  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

Burnout

Problem is SS hose is not marked for MFG or Standards.
How do you tell how much chineseium was used to make the hose.
Most end users dont ever see the box it comes from.

Cutting SS hose with a Dremel or other abrasive cutoff makes SS debris.

Make mine regular old Gates hose.

Ivan RoachCoach

First off, China produces NO rubber whatsoever --- they source it from the very same rubber plantations in Indochina (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand & Myanmar --- the former Burma) that everyone else (including the American manufacturers) do.
So that point is irrelevant & moot.

Debris from cutting S/S braided line ends up outside the line, on your workbench, not inside of it.  :doh:
Still worried?
Blow through the section of cut-off line.
It's that simple.

ecir50

im still trying to figure out how you cut a piece of braided hose on the side of the road to make a repair.

Ivan RoachCoach

Read my post --- the piece of braided line is pre-cut & just waiting to be used.  :SM:  :SM:  :SM:

Ivan RoachCoach

November 27, 2018, 10:25:24 AM #16 Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:48:37 AM by Ivan RoachCoach
Any pair of sharp wire-cutters will go through the damaged braided line in a couple of snips.

If the run is short enough, a foot (or a foot & a half, if you prefer) will fully replace it.

Being prepared is essential with these older bikes --- unless you enjoy waiting 2-3 hours for AAA to tow you home.
I carry a full mechanical ignition advance unit, pre-lubed with a 50/50 mix of anti-seize & Dupont high-temp medium grease in a biscotti can.

Because I want to get my ass down the road & continue the adventure.

JW113

"First off, China produces NO rubber whatsoever.....So that point is irrelevant & moot"

Uh, not moot. Flexible oil (and gas) lines are not made of natural rubber. Almost all today are some formulation of neoprene, a synthetic rubber made from petroleum. And yes, China makes a buttload of it.

-JW