March 28, 2024, 06:37:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Engine Mounts

Started by dwjohnson, May 22, 2023, 05:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Hi fellas, I'm not very familiar with the way a Buell engine is mounted so I'm looking for some help. I have a 02 M2 cyclone frame and I am trying to mount the motor in the frame. I have the big aluminum mount that goes at the top front and mounts to both heads and I see where the rear 4 bolt motor mount ties to the swingarm. I also have the right side front lower mount that also serves to mount one end of the shock but I'm not sure what else I need to finish up that mounting area. Surely something else goes down there to support all that weight , I have only been able to look at photos online trying to figure this out so far. I have noticed the regulator mounts down there in front and looks like a left side bracket is there too but I don't see what supports the engine weight in that area or how the brackets are tied to frame for support?? What am I missing or where can I find more info ? Thanks

Fugawee

I know very little about Buell's, so I'm of no help.
Please don't think that I am being sarcastic, or abrasive here...but, would You by any chance have the Buell Service and/or Parts Manual?
I see a few for sale on E-bay from time to time.

You may want to give this a shot...BuellXB.com
Good Luck!

Ohio HD

I know there are a couple of members that know Buell's bikes pretty well. Hopefully they see this and can help with your questions.

Here's HD's parts list and exploded views for the 2002 Cyclone. This may help.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/245226

dwjohnson

Great hopefully someone that knows will chime in because if I had a book, I probably wouldn't be asking. It's just hard for me to believe all that engine weight is supported by only the two headbolts at the top front, and of course the 4 rear bolts at the swingarm mount. Thanks

rigidthumper

Buell M2 setup has 4 bolts that hold the swingarm assembly to the back of the engine, and that is held to the frame by the rubber isolators. Front is 1 bolt through a rubber isolator to a bracket, and the bracket bolts to the front head. 2 Heim joints for lateral stabilization.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aswracing

Quote from: dwjohnson on May 22, 2023, 05:43:45 PMHi fellas, I'm not very familiar with the way a Buell engine is mounted so I'm looking for some help. I have a 02 M2 cyclone frame and I am trying to mount the motor in the frame. I have the big aluminum mount that goes at the top front and mounts to both heads and I see where the rear 4 bolt motor mount ties to the swingarm. I also have the right side front lower mount that also serves to mount one end of the shock but I'm not sure what else I need to finish up that mounting area. Surely something else goes down there to support all that weight , I have only been able to look at photos online trying to figure this out so far. I have noticed the regulator mounts down there in front and looks like a left side bracket is there too but I don't see what supports the engine weight in that area or how the brackets are tied to frame for support?? What am I missing or where can I find more info ? Thanks

A tube frame Buell is best disassembled by supporting the front of the engine, then removing the frame/front wheel assembly from the engine/rear wheel assembly and rolling it away like a wheelbarrow.

The two assemblies are connected by three isolators: one on each side, down near the footpegs, and the one in the steering neck area. You just remove those three bolts.

You also have to remove the three heim links that provide lateral stabilization for the motor. One is on top, there's another just on the top of the swingarm block accessible in front of the rear wheel, and there's a third on the oil filter pad. S1, X1, and S3's have a fourth, in the steering neck area. But an M2 only has three.

The air cleaner has to come off, and also the fuel line, the clutch and throttle cables, and a few electrical connectors.

Presto, you just pull the frame off, with the forks and bars and front wheel and all still attached, and roll it away like a wheelbarrow.

What you have sitting in front of you at that point is the motor, with the swingarm block and rear wheel still attached. The rear shock remains in place.

I used to have pictures of all this, but I'll be damned if I can find them anymore. I did a web search and found this pic of an XB that's been disassembled in this manner, but couldn't find the same for tube frame. But this illustrates what I'm describing:

xlfan

Top front isolator bolts to the front head triangle mount.
Top middle heim link mounts to the top middle engine mount.
Lower front heim link mounts between frame and oil filter mount base.

dwjohnson

Ok got it guys, thanks so much for all the help. I guess I just had trouble believing all the engine weight hung by the front head from the top isolator, seems to me that's asking alot from the front headbolts and gasket. but I suppose the rear isos handle some two. And that stabilizer link into the front of the cam cover, wow, isn't that an oil passage??
 Anyway I finally got the motor mounted but man what a struggle with the rear isolators and 4 engine bolts, guess
 just cause it was my first time. I do have a question about the two rear isolators, the holes in them seem to be drilled off center ?? I researched new ones and different ones but they all appear to be drilled off center, is this correct? Any reasoning, I'm sure there is a purpose? Thanks again

And another question about exhaust for the tube frame, any headpipes work besides the buell ones? I don't have any and all my HJarley ones are hitting the frame of course.

aswracing

Quote from: dwjohnson on June 02, 2023, 05:15:00 AMOk got it guys, thanks so much for all the help. I guess I just had trouble believing all the engine weight hung by the front head from the top isolator, seems to me that's asking alot from the front headbolts and gasket. but I suppose the rear isos handle some two. And that stabilizer link into the front of the cam cover, wow, isn't that an oil passage??
 Anyway I finally got the motor mounted but man what a struggle with the rear isolators and 4 engine bolts, guess
 just cause it was my first time. I do have a question about the two rear isolators, the holes in them seem to be drilled off center ?? I researched new ones and different ones but they all appear to be drilled off center, is this correct? Any reasoning, I'm sure there is a purpose? Thanks again

And another question about exhaust for the tube frame, any headpipes work besides the buell ones? I don't have any and all my HJarley ones are hitting the frame of course.

Yes, the hole through the isolator is off center. It's important to align the little roll pin that holds them to the frame, too.

I highly doubt you'll find a set of head pipes that'll clear the Buell frame tube for the rear cylinder, except one designed for the Buell.

Also be aware that in 1999, there was a frame and exhaust change. Earlier models have that rear head pipe dropping over the frame tube. In 1999, they moved the frame tube a little and rerouted the rear head pipe to go under it instead. So generally speaking, a 1995-1998 Buell exhaust doesn't fit a 99-02, and vice-versa.