March 28, 2024, 11:34:18 AM

News:

Head bolt torque

Started by cHarley, December 04, 2017, 04:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cHarley

I have a 1932 V. Just acquired it. Head bolts are loose and only thing I have found is approximately 55 ft. pounds. Or just what feels right. Looking up bolt torque to bolt size not comfortable with. Not sure if later models would be correct? Thanks in advance if anyone familiar with this.

Ohio HD

Oldest documents I have are for '29 to '52 WL and WLA 45 inch, it says 60 ft. lbs.

cHarley

Thanks was there a pattern to follow? Just curious should be able to figure one that will work but there maybe one.

Ohio HD

No, just this info, to tighten evenly. I don't think the compression is very high, so it's probably not so critical to follow a pattern.

[attach=0]

cHarley

Thanks appreciate the reply. Probably will be asking more questions later.

Speeding Big Twin

I agree: 60-65. I have the revised fourth edition of Steve Slocombe's book for the 1930–36 V-series (V, VL etc). It was published in 2007. For the head bolts Steve recommends 60-65 ft lb. He doesn't mention a pattern.

Are the heads and cylinders original to the cases? The reason I ask is that at least two Shop Dopes (57 and 77) mention a change to head bolts during the first model year (1930) of the V-series, with all head bolts becoming 7/16" x 1-7/8" (16 tpi). H-D #14-30B (#4674).

And with no offence meant, did you check the serial number and belly numbers for authenticity?       
Eric 

cHarley

Belly numbers match and serial number good from what I have been able to find thus far. Have not pulled down the heads yet and verified the stamps on them and cylinders. Also have not done tranny and frame numbers for year. I aquired it thru estate and had not been registered in years.

harley_cruiser

If I don't have a bolt pattern, I always use the criss cross star pattern starting in the narrowest place. You don't want to go in a circle. I do this on everything even things that don't mater, out of habit.

cHarley

Understand crisscross, kinda figured I would have to do it that way. That's how I have always done manways and such as a boilermaker. Just wanting to find out if someone knows from experience with these heads something better. Appreciate all the feed back. Four bolt heads on my shovel and such are a typical no brainier.