May 09, 2024, 02:31:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Effects of a weak battery on audio system

Started by biggzed, January 29, 2018, 10:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggzed

Here's what I have been experiencing the past couple of rides.

Stereo sounds great when parked and ignition in accy position. As soon as I fire it up and start riding the front speakers appear to "distort". It's almost as if they are breaking up in rhythm to the engine. It's really strange. It's never done that before.

The last two times I've got the bike out to go for a ride it's been a pita to start. Finally tracked it down to a weak battery. Just wondering if the weak battery is the sudden cause of the crap sound I'm getting while riding?

Head Unit - Sony MEX810
Amp - Soundstream PN4.1000
Frt Spk - Hertz HCX 6.5"
Rear Spk - Hertz HCX690

Stock/Original charging system on my 07 RG.

Any thoughts?

Zach

Hossamania

I think it could be, your system is struggling to put enough charge back into the battery, and then the stereo really starts pulling amps with the bass and amp in general.
Weak and failing batteries really wreak havoc, and cause troubleshooting to go in other areas before the battery is suspect.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Once the engine is running the battery should have little to do with it. I am thinking if the battery can spin over the engine you have a different problem. Not saying the battery is good or bad, but i wonder how you charging system is functioning. Perhaps your charging system is failing and barley keeping the battery charged.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

biggzed

The battery would spin the bike over, but it wouldn't start. Would just kick back and backfire through the throttle body. I put my charger on it for about 5 minutes then it fired right up and ran like normal.

I did notice the volt gauge read a tick over 14 volts while I was riding. I honestly can't remember what it would normally read though.

Zach

rcdude69

Setting the gains on the amp without your bike running can cause that problem. I saw a difference of around 10 volts at my speakers with the bike running and not running.
2010 Street Glide - Stock
2002 Big Dog Bulldog - 107ci