April 18, 2024, 07:08:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam Questions

Started by Mighty Horse, January 17, 2018, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boooby1744

Absolutely lower the gearing. Even a 31 tooth pulley is worth it.

Mighty Horse

Thank you all for your suggestions. Definatley a wealth of knowledge here!

N-gin

The exhaust is going to make or break it.
I would start by choosing a cam that builds more compression, this will give you the most fun factor around town. I don't know how well your exhaust plays but given the choices between the RS525, SS551, and Andrews 48. I think I would go with the 551. The red shift would be my second choice.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Mighty Horse

I know my exhaust is going to be the biggest restriction with any cam that I end up going with....but I just won't give up those fishtails! They're just my style.  :smiled:

Would new headpipes make a difference? Or are the fishtails so restrictive that it wouldn't matter? So far I've only found 2 decent options for headpipes for a 2007. Bassainni Power Cures and Fuelmoto Jackpot 2-1-2.

After doing more research and reading reviews and advice given here, I'm really leaning towards the TTS100 as my first choice. The TW-222 and 48h are a close second and third. My thought is that a low end torque cam has a better chance of overcoming the exhaust restrictions. I will be doing the 31/70 tooth sprockets no matter which cam I choose to help the low end even more. Compensator replacement and possibly the SE cam support plate with high volume oil pump. I'm also looking to see what options I have to improve clutch performance.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions and input!
I'm not afraid to tackle this project but I just want to make sure I'm making the most educated decisions before I pony up the cash for parts.

N-gin

I would think that the longer exhaust duration will help move the gases out back, but over lap may be a problem with restrictions.
Delicate balance for sure and no one knows for sure till you try.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

WhipLash96

So what is everyone"s opinion on the Red Shift 527?
Thanks,
Whip

Tail Ridr

Quote from: WhipLash96 on May 07, 2020, 06:44:18 AM
At only a .525 lift, it may not be quite what R&R's .525 is but it puts out as good of numbers as a lot of cams out there with higher lifts...as a bolt in, I've been considering it.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

boooby1744

Quote from: Tail Ridr on May 07, 2020, 03:43:05 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on May 07, 2020, 06:44:18 AM
At only a .525 lift, it may not be quite what R&R's .525 is but it puts out as good of numbers as a lot of cams out there with higher lifts...as a bolt in, I've been considering it.
seems it might be a little better in a stock motor than the R&R.

WhipLash96

So really I have 4 choices that i would be happy with.

1. The 48
2. The RS 527
3. S&S 551
4. S&S 583

Hmmmmm............
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

And
TTS100
Torquester 555
SE255

I would recommend don't overthink it, get the 48, and be done.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Don D

The pipe is the wild card, probably a big hindrance regardless of cam choice but worse with some of the exhaust biased choices. Change the front pulley, triglide part, to lower the gearing and use a HDI belt. Cams have been well covered

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on May 08, 2020, 06:37:32 AM
And
TTS100
Torquester 555
SE255

I would recommend don't overthink it, get the 48, and be done.

Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

My neighbor added a TTS100 to his stage 1 96" dyna with SEAC and V&H Short Shots.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hilly13

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 08, 2020, 06:47:20 AM
My neighbor added a TTS100 to his stage 1 96" dyna with SEAC and V&H Short Shots.
Would definitely notice the difference seat of pants there!
Just because its said don't make it so

Hilly13

I've tuned a few stage 1 bikes with various pipes just to show the owners how much better they are tuned as opposed to flashed, no charts just road tuning with whatever tuner they have with a bit of MyTune thrown in when it's compatible, some of them had been considering a cam change and decided against it afterwards, not knocking your thundermax in any way but how good is your tune?
Assuming the tune is good the sprocket change will make a huge difference to seat of pants, do that first would be my advise......I never take my advise, ever, the spare parts in my shed back that up  :slap:
Just because its said don't make it so

Hillside Motorcycle

And just to make mention of a great un-sung early/flat torque cam........S&S MR103.
Works absolutely fantastic.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"