May 06, 2024, 05:50:07 AM

News:

Not really Neutral

Started by genzer, May 04, 2024, 05:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvyMan69, HogMike, genzer, Breeze, JerseyT, 98fxstc, JohnCA58 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

genzer

Just bought a 21 rgs, when trying to back off a tilt bed trailer in neutral it acts like it's in gear pulling in the clutch helps a little. And when starting it "in neutral" it jumps forward, thoughts?

Tail Ridr

Clutch drag probably, what's in the primary for oil...do ya know or did you "just" pick it up?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

genzer

Don't know, I'm gonna change all the fluids anyways

road-dawgs1

Check the clutch adjustment as well. With the two piece cable and crappy plastic adjuster, it is a bit of change from the old style cable. Coming off my hydraulic and going back to cable, the first thing I did was get the FBI adjuster (also got the Muller ramps)which made it much easier to adjust. 
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Dan89flstc

Quote from: genzer on May 04, 2024, 05:13:39 PMJust bought a 21 rgs, when trying to back off a tilt bed trailer in neutral it acts like it's in gear pulling in the clutch helps a little. And when starting it "in neutral" it jumps forward, thoughts?

If it tries to move forward, it is not in neutral...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

genzer

What year did they go back to cable?

rigidthumper

2021 on the touring models
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Check that the transmission is not overfilled.
Mine will also try to move forward slightly when cold in neutral, I attribute it to the cold thick gear lube in the tranny. But it does not drag as you describe when rolling.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

genzer

Thanks, I much preferred the hydraulic as I've a cable failures in the past, but that's just me.

rigidthumper

Overfilled primary will create this dragging condition. This happened more often on the early M8s that experienced fluid transfer between the trans and the primary- pretty sure they had this fixed by the 2021 models, but it's worth checking fluid levels.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?