March 28, 2024, 03:27:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing

Started by Jamie Long, January 18, 2018, 04:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mxg3 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Frédéric CM

lucasg

Great work and results Jamie.   A big thank you to you and all the team at Fuel Moto.  Always appreciate your hard work in testing and comparing ... Keep up the good work !!

:up:

Hossamania

So, in a side by side race, which cam wins the quarter mile? Which cam wins the race to 100 mph from, say, 20 or 30 mph?
These are the things I think about, because I use racing to show my superiority over others, since I can't do it with intellect or skills.........
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

hd06myway

from what I hear the heads keep the power numbers down because the stock 4v heads don't flow to their potential.. I bet with the right heads we'd see 120hp/120tq.... or better

Jamie Long

Here is a list of the cam specs that Max put together.

BVHOG

Great testing,  very similar results from cam to cam.  I would assume the exhaust is causing the dip on every chart.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Jamie Long

Quote from: BVHOG on February 06, 2018, 06:41:11 AM
Great testing,  very similar results from cam to cam.  I would assume the exhaust is causing the dip on every chart.

The dip was actually caused primarily from the SE air cleaner. We did some post testing with a couple different air cleaners followed by exhausts and the dip pretty well disappeared once the AC was swapped out. 

sfmichael

Thanks Jamie - very impressive and generous effort by you and your staff  :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Hossamania on January 29, 2018, 08:33:17 AM
Just an observation, have you thought about doing a run without the air cleaner to see if it is restricting flow?

:banghead: :banghead:

Unless there is a method to the madness. :idea:

BigT

Quote from: sfmichael on February 06, 2018, 10:16:07 AM
Thanks Jamie - very impressive and generous effort by you and your staff  :up: :up:
👍👍

DTTJGlide

Thanks for the testing & sharing the info with us, are you going to post info on the air cleaner & exhaust change? I know on other tests that a 2-1 changed the curve quite a bit, thanks again.

NCTURBOS

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 08, 2018, 07:09:38 PM
...are you going to post info on the air cleaner & exhaust change?...

x2, please share...

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

Jamie Long

After we concluded the M8 cam test we tested a few components on our test bike to demonstrate the effect in horsepower & torque from changing the specific recipe we used. The bike has a Wood WM8-222 cam and we swapped exhaust to the Jackpot Road & Track 2/1 and we also changed from the SE air cleaner to the new K&N Filtercharger, this is a heavy breather style unit with a large elbow. Here is the dyno chart for this combination, as well as a comparison to the 222 cam with the earlier exhaust we tested.

NHBagger

Nice results.  Naturally we always want more.  Would like to see the 22X with that setup.

1FSTRK

Thanks for posting this Jamie.
Counting the Powerhouse Cycle/Joe Lyons runs in the dyno section we now can see 4 different exhaust and three different air cleaners tested with this cam in stage two trim.
The exhaust, with some influences from the air cleaners, clearly control the torque curve below 5k and the above 5k power is constant in the three performance exhaust choices. it will be interesting to see the rest of your graphs when you post them.

JMHD

Thanks for sharing your findings. Its awesome to see tests like this.Thanks again!

sfmichael

thanks again Jamie  :up:  :up:

the 222 and the 2-1 play well together - nice combo  :up:

heavy breather style A/C's are awfully hard to beat if you like that style - that is the bar IMO
Colorado Springs, CO.

Jamie Long

We performed another round of post testing from our M8 cam test. In this test we installed a FM 117 (4.125") big bore kit, however we used a lower compression 10.75:1 piston than our normal kit. This allowed us to use one of the bolt in cam's from our testing. Our test bike has the Wood WM8-222 cam, we used stock heads & throttle body, stock injectors (which are near/at the limit in this example) and the bike was equipped a Jackpot M8 2/1/2 head pipe and S&S MK45 mufflers. Tuning was done with Dynojet Power Vision. Essentially this is the same identical configuration we used with our 107 M8 cam test, the only components that were changed were the pistons & cylinders, we added 10 c.i. and gave it a bump in compression.

sfmichael

sure looks great  :up: :up:

will the 2-1 pipe follow this test?   :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Sunny Jim

I think this is what I might be looking for. Currently running the CR460 and enjoying it.
I would like to ride that!

Jamie Long

Quote from: sfmichael on February 19, 2018, 10:00:03 AM
sure looks great  :up: :up:

will the 2-1 pipe follow this test?   :pop:

We'll test the 2/1 on this combo as some point, however we are running at the rev limiter as we come into season. We have a bunch of customer builds here in progress, and a full schedule for the foreseeable future. We will however be testing cam's in our M8 114 Softail next week and we are hoping to squeeze in some testing with a low compression 124 build on a customers M8 CVO next week as well. 

Jamie Long

For those interested, today we are installing a FM 124" big bore on a 2017 CVO Limited. This one is going to be lower compression (10.8:1) than our standard kit for the 4.5" stroke motors, it is designed to work with the stock throttle body, cylinder heads, and bolt in cam (Wood WM8-222). More to come...

Jamie Long

2018 Softail Milwaukee Eight 114 cam testing is underway. Over the next several days we will be testing the same camshafts we tested last month in the FLH M8 107: Cycle-Rama 460, Wood WM8-222 and 22X, S&S 475C, Red Shift 468, and Andrews 460. Our test bike is equipped with a Bassani 2/1 exhaust, FM AC/DC air cleaner, and we will be tuning with Dynojet Power Vision. We will publish a full report next week. Stay tuned...

Jamie Long

We got the CVO bike all finished up and rolled it out yesterday. This was built using a new lower compression 124" combination we have been working on for use with shorter bolt in cams. We installed the FM 124" kit @ 10.75:1 compression, Wood WM8-222 cams, we used the stock heads & throttle body, installed the AIM SDR clutch, 5.5 injectors, Jackpot head pipe, and tuned it with Dynojet Power Vision. Customer already had the S&S MK45 mufflers which work really well. This combination turned our really well with exceptional torque.