May 10, 2024, 12:47:58 AM

News:

ABS Brake Recall - What is HD going to do

Started by Boe Cole, February 09, 2018, 09:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparnut72

I have a Ram HD pickup with the heavy duty Aisin transmission. Due to expected heavy towing Chrysler requires the fluid to be changed every 30K miles.They specify a Mopar branded fluid that sells for I think $28 a quart. The trans takes several quarts on a drain only. At 60K the pan needs to be dropped and the filter changed. I know that the Aisin Trans is made by Toyota and it turns out they require a certain spec on the fluid. Valvoline make a fluid that meets that spec at $5 a quart. Gotta keep an eye out for who requires what.
kk
"The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know." Albert Einstein

Coyote

Quote from: rbabos on March 09, 2018, 08:30:00 AM
Quote from: Coyote on March 08, 2018, 10:34:10 PM
Seems the HD brake fluid is just Syn Dot 4.  :scratch:
Pretty much nothing out of the ordinary for DOT4. Spent quite a while researching fluids. 5.1 is one of the better ones for us ABS users but no gain in corrosion protection, only wet points. That's strictly a time frame deal from moisture and happens quicker with heat from racing applications because heat also breaks down the additives sooner. 5.1 shines a bit better for high heat demands in braking but that's it. Not really needed in a road bike.
While on my quest for the ultimate brake fliud and owning a Hyundai that had similar issues I found out they originally used DOT3 which has no anti-corrosion additives. Well, duh but likely was cheaper to buy. They switched to DOT4 in the recall which has the additive in all well known brands. They later started plating the pintles or valving as the final step to curb internal HCU corrosion. After chasing down several brands and no availability of the so called Platinum crap, I settled on a bottle of Hyundai DOT4 high performance. Not that it's the best but by then I've had enough brake fluid bs to last a life time and it was my last stop. Oddly enough it's bottled in your state. :scratch: Change it often and cycle the unit is the best overall solution, regardless for brand. Searching for brake fluid cure on any older HCU that has corrosion already, well that stuff peddled by HD won't fix anything, nor actually stop it in a new HCU if left in too long. Will be interesting to see what happens when these units fail after the recall service and they will over time. Round two for the NHTSA.
For me, it's Belray in the clutch side because I have it already and Hyundai in the ABS side because I just bought it . Done .
Ron

And I think they will continue to fail when not serviced.

Quote from: freddie_ray on March 08, 2018, 05:53:45 PM
Well I bit the bullet yesterday and had my brake fluid flushed on my 2012 FLHTK. My bike didn't have any braking issues, and I don'y know if it was changed during my service contract that ended in 2015. The price I paid is a small amount to pay instead of spending $700 on a new module.

Freddie_ray :scoot:

I wouldn't hold my breath.  :wink:

markymark

As a Dodge tech, I can tell you that the Aisin transmission iv very tough. Only seen 1 failure (vehicle had over 300K). very heavy duty

Ohio HD

I received my letter a few weeks ago. I threw it in a desk drawer....   

Moparnut72

Quote from: markymark on March 09, 2018, 10:50:56 AM
As a Dodge tech, I can tell you that the Aisin transmission iv very tough. Only seen 1 failure (vehicle had over 300K). very heavy duty

I was going to get a manual until I saw what the Aisin could do. Ram 3500 Dually, hauling beast. Got the 4.10 gears too.
kk
"The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know." Albert Einstein

Hossamania

This thread reminded me that I need to bleed the brakes on the truck again, but I needn't have worried. It will get done on my normal schedule of every couple years because I just blew out another rusty brake line. Right on schedule.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 09, 2018, 05:52:40 PM
Being I have a 13, I'll have to wait for the next round of recalls. It will end up in the garbage. No dealer will ever touch my bike, free or otherwise.
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on March 10, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 09, 2018, 05:52:40 PM
Being I have a 13, I'll have to wait for the next round of recalls. It will end up in the garbage. No dealer will ever touch my bike, free or otherwise.
Ron

We have a LOT of HD dealers around the Cincinnati area, like 8 or 9 within 100 miles. A few of them have a good wrench, and I did say 'a' good wrench. But no point taking it in when I can do it. As well if you request Steve Miller at HD of Cincinnati, you'll wait awhile, a lot of folks want him to do the work.

Ancient

Just got back from having my 11' done at Joplin. I was all primed to at least put up an argument if the HCU malfunctioned. No need, it functioned fine. 1 hr start to finish and out of there.
Greg

Maddo Snr

March 26, 2018, 09:37:01 PM #159 Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:41:48 PM by Maddo Snr
I had my '11 RK done today. My fluid was perfect (I freshen it up once per year including pulsing the ABS.

But... the fluid they put in (HD platinum) isn't near as good as the Castrol Racing RF800 that I was running. The lever/pedal feels dead and there's nowhere near the initial 'grab' I had.

It's bled properly, the new fluid is ordinary. Out it comes tomorrow.

Service was great though, they gave me a demo '18 SGS for the day.
Dash angles are all wrong, unless it's dark the gauges reflect like a mirror. Hate the handlebar. Disgusting rear shocks for a $37,000 bike. Otherwise a nice bike. Thinking...
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

04 SE Deuce

Wouldn't expect a perceivable difference between same type (4) fluids if bleeding/air entrapment is the same. 

Different boiling points given the same moisture content would mean lever/pedal would start increasing at different temps...obviously not what your referring to..

Maddo Snr

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on March 26, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
Wouldn't expect a perceivable difference between same type (4) fluids if bleeding/air entrapment is the same.

Neither would I Rick, the starting point for sussing out what's going on has to be to go back a step though. I'll re-post when I know the result.

Cheers, Pete.
2018 FLHX 107

Ozbob

Does it matter at all what tuning device is used on the bike for Digitally activating ABS?
My bike is going in this week and is tuned with PV.

Coyote

1FSTRK

Quote from: Maddo Snr on March 27, 2018, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on March 26, 2018, 10:14:01 PM

Neither would I Rick, the starting point for sussing out what's going on has to be to go back a step though. I'll re-post when I know the result.

Cheers, Pete.

Pete
I would start by using your ABS bleeding/pulsing procedure with the existing fluid to see if it comes around. Then when you change just the fluid and repeat the process the only chance will be the fluid. 
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Maddo Snr

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 06, 2018, 05:10:50 PM
Pete
I would start by using your ABS bleeding/pulsing procedure with the existing fluid to see if it comes around. Then when you change just the fluid and repeat the process the only chance will be the fluid.

I would Rick, but HD Platinum is dear as poison over here and I'd need a quart to push through. My wallet pulled rank my inquisitive nature.  :up:

I flushed the HD stuff out with Wynns fluid flush and put the Castrol Race Fluid back in. Fixed. I'll never know if it was the fluid or the dealers procedure I guess but the RK is back to it's best. It has custom built Ducati rotors and bigger Brembo callipers so the drop-off in braking power was noticeable...

Cheers, Pete.
2018 FLHX 107

92flhtcu

Pete, lets see a pic or two of that brake set up!
Need a bigger garage

FSG

I'm away from home so I don't have the doc at my fingertips, but a bit that I found interesting with this recall is,

The NHTSA asked Dow Corning for a "Please Explain" regarding the use of their brake fluid, part of their response was that "they didn't supply HD with brake fluid until 2014" which is after the period of time where models were affected. 

Now Dow Corning Brake Fluid may well have been used in those models BUT is wasn't supplied to HD by Dow Corning directly, maybe it was Dow Corning fluid from the lowest supplier bidder.

FSG

FSG

hbkeith

Yep , these New bikes are SO MUCH better than a OLD EVO  :hyst:

FSG

Quote from: hbkeith on November 09, 2018, 02:16:43 AM
Yep , these New bikes are SO MUCH better than a OLD EVO  :hyst:

:up:

never had probs stopping the old '26 Pup

ViseGrips