March 28, 2024, 03:25:28 AM

News:

Winter Fixes

Started by Harpo, February 13, 2018, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Howdy all - just writing something 'cause it seems like the Pan section stagnates once in awhile.  Just got some much needed things done on the '49.  Changed out the kicker ratchet gears (was tired of it falling through every now and then - hard on my knee).  Fixed the hand shifter pivot stud on the tank - was way loose.  Fixed a carb bowl gas leak on the old Linkert.  Also fixed (I know this is hard to believe) a "few" oil leaks.  Cleaned up and all ready to go for spring - nice feeling.  Others chime in on what you've had to do this winter to your rides.  If we can't ride 'em we might as well talk about 'em. 

Ozbob

Got my hot rodded '65 up on the stand at the moment fitting a Gasbox oil tank, Kick only, also chasing a 70mph ignition/fuel breakdown.
getting it ready for a 2 day run with my wife on her street 500 for our wedding anniversary, will be her first overnighter on her own bike.
The '65 as always needs love before a big trip. Gotta love the pans. I ride mine more than my twinkies.

Harpo

Ozbob - what have you done to your '65 to hot rod it?  Cam/carb/stroker?  Hope your trip is trouble free.  Sounds like an awesome anniversary "scenario".

Ozbob

February 15, 2018, 01:59:44 PM #3 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:11:42 PM by Ozbob
Apes, S&S P93 engine, Baker 4 speed, 3" belt drive, Gas Box oil tank(in progress), le Pera seat, earlier tank badges,
The '65 g/box, primary and engine is all on the shelf
[attach=1]

twincamzz

Replacing the rear hydraulic brake light switch on my 61 Pan. The switch came loose from the mounting bracket causing ground problems and intermittent brake light. Also plan on some maintenance in the auto-advance timer area. Nothing fancy planned, just some much needed maintenance that I can never find time to do during riding season.
not all who wander are lost...

Deye76

Ozbob, excellent looking Pan. For a 93" I'd get a timer (distributor) that accepts a electronic ignition. Hard to tell from the pic what carb you are running. I'd for sure ditch the open stack.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ozbob

Cheers, S&S P93 engine comes fitted with S&S electronic ignition, I converted mine to points. S&S E carb
Stack is on for shorts runs, filter goes on for long hauls.

Snowyone

Assembly is on my list.  Posted some pics last year but am just getting around to finishing assembly.  Had to pull the engine back out to take care of some clearance issues on the rear head and seat post tube.  Please remind me to never take something apart and try to assemble 10 years later.  It's like a jigsaw puzzle.  Parts have been drug back and fourth from Ak to Az for the last 4 years.  It's a 53 Pan bye the way.  Thanks to Highway Choppers for parts, repairs, and advice.

Harpo

Snowyone - Yeah, Iv'e learned over the years to take pictures during disassembly.  Helps the (sometimes years later) assembly process a LOT.  My first HD was a '53 - bought it for $600 back in '73 while I was home on leave.  Nowadays you can't buy the gas tank emblems for $600!  Rode it around while I was still on leave and then put it in the barn.  Wish I would've left it alone, but of course I had to make a CHOPPER out of it.  Had it about 15 years or so and went through many changes.  Fond memories.