April 18, 2024, 06:10:14 PM

News:

HPI V2 Air Cleaner

Started by Ohio HD, March 01, 2018, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Would anyone happen to have some photos of how the HPI V2 air cleaner mounts? I know it's generally the same a any system, but I'm curious as to how the backing plate and the two vented extenders that mount to the heads work together.

Just a lot of money to spend and not like some aspect of it. And I did ask for some detail from them, got nadda.

[attach=0]

misfitJason

That part is just a cover for the bolts kind of. It bolts to the breathers and then the cover covers up the bolts and you mount the filter.  I'll see if I have any phots of mine apart
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Ohio HD

Thanks Jason. I asked them for an illustration or something, I never heard back from them.

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Those three fasteners scare me. What keeps them from getting eaten if they were to loosen I wonder.

misfitJason

I have a different one on the bike now but here is the old one I had

Ohio HD

I see, the velocity stock fits over the three screws at the TB. Looks like you have to convert it to external vents too?

PoorUB

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 01, 2018, 06:49:42 PM
I see, the velocity stock fits over the three screws at the TB. Looks like you have to convert it to external vents too?

In the pic I linked it showed hollow breather bolts, then the velocity stack and that weird cover goes on. It looks to me that it vents the breathers under the odd shaped cover.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

misfitJason

March 02, 2018, 03:32:16 AM #8 Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:00:48 AM by misfitJason
The standard air cleaners (meaning anyone you buy from them) are vented through those breather bolts into the channels hidden by that cover.   They sell external vents (which I have on mine) that are pretty trick too and don’t change the look of the air cleaner at all

Bagger

I run the V2, I ordered it with external venting.  Here is the filter used showing dimensions.
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=E-3300

JohnCA58

YOLO

WhipLash96

Has anyone been able to run this unit with a 1" thicker air filter element?
Thanks,
Whip

kd

January 01, 2022, 07:54:06 PM #12 Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 06:15:49 AM by kd
I haven't but I did talk to Green Filters (the company) at SEMA a few years ago.  I asked about getting a certain spec filter made in a taller version.  I was told there would be no problem.  They simply apply the rubber ends to a taller pleated section.  He said they have the specs on pretty well everyone's models. I don't remember him telling me it would cost more but it probably wouldn't come as quick as an off the shelf item.  When you go up 1" on the S&S breather you simply add the 1" stud extension and ride with your right knee up against it.  :teeth:
KD

Ohio HD

Since I made this original post, I've done a lot of looking onto the V2 filter. The V2 filter is rated at 428 cfm by HPI, I bought one and plan on using it on this next 124". I have no plans of increasing the filter media depth.

WhipLash96

Quote from: kd on January 01, 2022, 07:54:06 PMI haven't but I did talk to Green Filters (the company) at SEMA a few years ago.  I asked about getting a certain spec filter made in a taller version.  I was told there would be no problem.  They simply apply the rubber ends to a taller pleated section.  He said hey have the specs on pretty well everyone's models. I don't remember him telling me it would cost more but it probably wouldn't come as quick as an off the shelf item.  When you go up 1" on the S&S breather you simply add the 1" stud extension and ride with your right knee up against it.  :teeth:

Right. Will that stud kit work with this set up? I'm using taller filter now on my CV 51 and I do not have any issues as far as comfort goes. I am short so I have plenty of room.
Thanks,
Whip

kd

Maybe Ohio or someone that has one can tell you.  I haven't had one in hand yet.  I'm just passing on a conversation I had about getting custom length filters.  It may be a moot point though.  I understand these HPI V2 filters flow more than you will need.
KD

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 01, 2022, 08:05:55 PMSince I made this original post, I've done a lot of looking onto the V2 filter. The V2 filter is rated at 428 cfm by HPI, I bought one and plan on using it on this next 124". I have no plans of increasing the filter media depth.

I've used the V2 on my 114" Twin Cam, my 124" Twin Cam, and now on my 131" M8.  For the M8, the filter unit is not wide enough in my opinion, so I asked them to send me their 2" filter with longer standoffs.  The 2" filter is the way to go.

Ohio HD

Quote from: les on January 01, 2022, 09:46:39 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 01, 2022, 08:05:55 PMSince I made this original post, I've done a lot of looking onto the V2 filter. The V2 filter is rated at 428 cfm by HPI, I bought one and plan on using it on this next 124". I have no plans of increasing the filter media depth.

I've used the V2 on my 114" Twin Cam, my 124" Twin Cam, and now on my 131" M8.  For the M8, the filter unit is not wide enough in my opinion, so I asked them to send me their 2" filter with longer standoffs.  The 2" filter is the way to go.

Les, do you have any before and after HP/TQ numbers on the 2" wider filter?

My conversation with HPI giving them my goals of into 16O SAI, they said the V2 would support it as long as everything else was in place. Heads, exhaust, TB, etc. 

WhipLash96

Quote from: kd on January 01, 2022, 09:13:31 PMMaybe Ohio or someone that has one can tell you.  I haven't had one in hand yet.  I'm just passing on a conversation I had about getting custom length filters.  It may be a moot point though.  I understand these HPI V2 filters flow more than you will need.

Yeah they do flow a lot of air according to what HPI says. There were some other concerns that I had about this unit that I was able to nail down. Thanks for your information.....
Thanks,
Whip

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 01, 2022, 09:52:39 PM
Quote from: les on January 01, 2022, 09:46:39 PM

Les, do you have any before and after HP/TQ numbers on the 2" wider filter?

My conversation with HPI giving them my goals of into 16O SAI, they said the V2 would support it as long as everything else was in place. Heads, exhaust, TB, etc. 

I'm sorry that I don't. My opinion is not coming from data and numbers but rather a feeling when I look at the area of the 1 1/2" filter compared to the 2" filter.  Also, I've always used those style of air filters (smaller ones for smaller engines, but same configuration).  The V2 2" is the only one that does not start to choke out the engine when I ride in pouring rain.  That tells me something too.

I have the 1 1/2" M8 sitting on my shelf.  It just ain't big enough, regardless of what HPI says.  I realize that without data, what I said sounds like crap.  But I'm standing firm to it.

Also, if you ask HPI to send you the 2" and longer stand offs (instead of buying them after the fact like I did) then it's no loss on your end.  You're assured of maximum air ability through your filter.

les

Ohio, just to note.  The V2 is fine...actually perfect.  I just don't like that for their twin cams they have 2" filters, then all of a sudden, they drop to a 1 1/2" filter for their M8 unit.

(M8 V2)-(1 1/2" filter)-(short stand offs)+(2" filter)+(long stand offs)=perfection.

...in my opinion.

Ohio HD

I don't know if we're talking that same filter or not. Mine came with a 2-1/2" wide filter in it. If measuring only the media height, yes that's about 2".

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Deye76

"I just don't like that for their twin cams they have 2" filters, then all of a sudden, they drop to a 1 1/2" filter for their M8 unit."
A couple threads down from this rigidthumper brings up some good observations on choke points. From rigidthumper,  "Balance is the key". No secret M8 heads flow way better than TC heads, even some "worked" TC heads. HPI over the years doesn't strike me as looking to cut their way into prosperity. They do their homework, and produce accordingly, IME. Why produce a filter that could on certain models (Lowrider S with mids for example) infringe on leg clearance if it's not needed, and balances the requirements? Just a thought.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

les

Yes, Ohio.  That's the 2" filter.  I guess you're doing a twin cam?

Ohio HD