May 01, 2024, 02:58:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

90 FXR outer primary cover

Started by flht1550, October 15, 2018, 07:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

Can anyone tell me if a later model 2001-2006 touring model outer primary will fit and clear the clutch on a 1990 FXR. I've read somewhere that people are asking similar questions and have been told there is a 3 bolt inspection cover and a 5 bolt inspection. The only 5 bolt cover units are on 2001-2006 twin cam outer touring models. The newer 5 bolt units don't have the smiley face cast under the inspection hole cover for the clutch basket clearance on the inside

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on October 15, 2018, 07:58:55 AM
Can anyone tell me if a later model 2001-2006 touring model outer primary will fit and clear the clutch on a 1990 FXR. I've read somewhere that people are asking similar questions and have been told there is a 3 bolt inspection cover and a 5 bolt inspection. The only 5 bolt cover units are on 2001-2006 twin cam outer touring models. The newer 5 bolt units don't have the smiley face cast under the inspection hole cover for the clutch basket clearance on the inside

Short answer, the '01-'06 outer primary cover will not work with the 90 FXR (or FLH) inner primary case.

Log answer, The '94 and up FXR (and FLH) inner primary case will work with any '94 - '06 FXR or FLH outer cover regardless of 3 or 5 hole type. The '94 and up FXR inner primary case is highly coveted as it can be used with the late model outer covers that are typically priced lower, and in much better condition. Additionally, the late model out cover has additional internal clearance for things like a '98 and later clutch with a VPC, less prone to leakage, etc. On the down side, the '94 and up FXR inner is very rare. Even if someone has one, when they brake (they will), replacements are not readily available.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flht1550

October 15, 2018, 11:08:21 AM #2 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:16:50 AM by flht1550
So a late model 2001-2006 touring twin cam outer primary won't work on a 60675-89 inner primary and a neither  2001-2006 twin cam inner or outer primary will work together in a 84-94 FXR. Obviously wanting to use the most readily available parts to swap to spline shaft and it would be nice to be able to also use the newer clutch basket, Starter, and anything else to simplify the parts search

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on October 15, 2018, 11:08:21 AM
So a late model 2001-2006 touring twin cam outer primary won't work on a 60675-89 inner primary and a neither  2001-2006 twin cam inner or outer primary will work together in a 84-94 FXR. Obviously wanting to use the most readily available parts to swap to spline shaft and it would be nice to be able to also use the newer clutch basket, Starter, and anything else to simplify the parts search

Harley moved one of the mounting holes in the transmission case starting in '01 baggers. The pre '01 bagger stuff will bolt right on. To answer your question, no, the '01-'06 bagger stuff will not bolt on to a any year of the FXR transmission case.

Expanded - The hole in question is the forward primary to transmission bolt hole. I wish it were as simply as drilling or drilling and tapping but neither the trans case or the inner primary case lend themselves to relocating that hole. At least not very easy.

That being said, I know at least on guy (hack) running that '01 and up primary case on an FXR and simply didnt install that mounting bolt. Of course, his bike has some tiny little low output engine and he rides like a sissy. Sort of works for him. I would not do it.

flht1550

So if I understand what your saying is that I'm stuck with OEM 60675-89 inner primary or a delkron if they every start to reproduce their inners, and 60606-89 outer primary with the extra clearance under the 3 bolt hole inspection cover. Unless I came across the RARE 94 & up FXR inner in which as I could use a 2001-2006 outer primary cover. Have you had any experience with the V-twin inner primaries or am I better off with the OEM 60675-89.

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on October 15, 2018, 02:40:26 PM
So if I understand what your saying is that I'm stuck with OEM 60675-89 inner primary or a delkron if they every start to reproduce their inners, and 60606-89 outer primary with the extra clearance under the 3 bolt hole inspection cover. Unless I came across the RARE 94 & up FXR inner in which as I could use a 2001-2006 outer primary cover. Have you had any experience with the V-twin inner primaries or am I better off with the OEM 60675-89.

I have not seen a V-Twin brand For inner primary in person so I cannot speak to it directly. I have friends that have used them and they have reported excellent fit and finish. Have not heard anyone that actually has one say anything bad about them.

flht1550

Do you know if the V-Twin unit will work with newer outer primary to allow the use of later clutch and starter ?

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on October 17, 2018, 08:55:35 AM
Do you know if the V-Twin unit will work with newer outer primary to allow the use of later clutch and starter ?

Answered in post #3.

xlfan

You could use a 94-00 FLT inner primary,  if you sacrifice the mid-shift possibility, for 94-06 outer cover.

There is also the 2 different starter jackshaft bushing combos that have been in service,  one type from 89-93, and the other from 94-06.

farmall

I tossed the stock jackshafts on my FXRs and run one-piece All Balls units. Those locate using the ends of the shaft and eliminate the jackshaft bushing.

Fab Kevin has machined TC inner primaries for mids and should be able to mod the late Evo FL inner similarly.
Example, scroll down: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48874&p=756035&viewfull=1#post756035

Supposedly Delkron has been bought out but I've seen no signs on their Facebook page of resuming Evo inner primary production. I have them on my FXRs and they're impressively thick. If enough people ask them they might make another run. T