March 28, 2024, 11:53:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Inherited my brothers '53 Panhead

Started by jayjaywideglide, March 15, 2018, 01:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98roadking

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Harpo

Frick'en awesome!  Definitely try to keep the hand shifter - was kinda rare on a '53 (first year for foot shift).

DanThe Man

I saved pictures to my deck top and they were in the correct orientation. Second picture shows a wishbone frame if you magnify it. Nice!
I thought I was wrong once but i was mistaken.

rbabos

This looks better. Nice bike, by the way. Owned a 52 chopper back in the 70s.
Ron

Hossamania

That is a pretty sweet ride.
It might be fun just to get it running in that configuration, and then change it out once you gather all the parts to go back to stock.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

twincamzz

not all who wander are lost...

borno

Nice bike! and nice of his kids to think of you.

Justpassingas

good to see its staying in family....that things like a time capsule from an era gone by....i'd get it running and wouldn't change thing....
For Duty and Humanity

FSG

:agree:     :chop:

my old Iron Head and 90 Evo are down south with brothers (I have 8  :SM: ) in a few yrs my TC will be there as well

when I'm gone and up the chimney they'll sometimes remember me maybe  :nix:  when they touch the bikes

jayjaywideglide

Yeah, planning on getting a carb, lower handlebars and ride it the way it is for a while after going over it and make sure things are safe.  Then I'll start finding misc parts to get it back together more original.  Will keep the current parts so I want, I can make it look like this again, it I so desire.  But it will be nice to put the original seat back on with the springs so it won't kill my spine...

jayjaywideglide

Yeah, I'm curious what those pipes sound like.  Got engine turned over after putting Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders and letting it soak for a while.  Got good compression, so hopeful I won't have to tear down the engine till I'm ready after finding more parts.  Missing carb, but friend sending me a carb to try to get it running.  I plan on keep the current parts wo I could go from this configuration to more original.  I will want to put the spring seat back on for any longer trips.  I've ridden hardtails without the spring seat

jayjaywideglide

I restored a '47 Knuck 30 years ago and it had a complete '49 glide front end.  I took it off and stored it in my rafters when I put a springer on it.  I can't imagine what that glide is worth now days...glad I decided to keep it and not sell it now!  As much as I love the look of a springer, the glide will make it original. 

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Moparnut72

That's all I would do is different handle bars and seat. Otherwise I wouldn't touch a thing. Really nice bike, I'd love to have it parked in my garage.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Phu Cat

Have fun with the new bike and my best to the smart nieces and nephews.  Ya don't find kids like them any more!

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

jayjaywideglide

Yeah, started to take things apart and check it over.  Get a little emotional working on it knowing the last person to ride it was my brother.  He's going to be riding with me when I finally get it running.

jayjaywideglide

Started to take things apart and checking it out.  I'll ride it the way it is now on it's maiden ride and take my brother's memory with me.  Then I'll stop and raise a glass to him...

jmorton10

Nice!!

Change the seat & bars, add a frt fender & you have an awesome bike.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

tomcat64

SAWEET!! if you are looking for any parts let me know, I might know of a guy that has a stash!!   :wink: