May 17, 2024, 01:55:31 AM

News:

Cold Starting Difficulty. CV.

Started by cycocycle, April 03, 2018, 02:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Dave, if yours now starts up and idles cold with no enrichener, then it's jetted WAY too rich. JMHO!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

My thought also. I have always had to choke it when cold, four different carbs, all running very well. I will even choke it when it has been run and sat for an hour, the enrichener automatically adjusts and it starts and idles better than with no enrichener.
They would never idle on a cold start with no choke.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mr. pitts

I start my evo the S&S recommended way. 2 full twists of the throttle, choke on, hit the button. Works like a charm. So you're worried about your fuel consumption, do you know how to do a plug chop? HTH.

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on April 04, 2018, 03:19:27 PM
Dave, if yours now starts up and idles cold with no enrichener, then it's jetted WAY too rich. JMHO!

-JW
ill look in to it.before i had to use a clothes peg behind the choke knob to hold it on as it was spring loaded and wait at least 3-4minutes before it would idle and not stop. thanks jw

david lee

-JW
just talked to a mate who agrees with you but if you have to keep the throttle open for it to idle on cold all should be good thanks jw

koko3052

There's a plastic nut behind the enrichener knob, next to the mount, that when you tighten it up a bit will put "drag" on the enrichener shaft & hold it open....you can give momma bear her clothes pin back. :wink:

JW113

Yes the clothes pin trick works great. So does buying a new enrichener cable, as they do tend to wear out and not hold after a while, even if you tighten that plastic nut in the front to the point that it cracks. Just FYI, I don't let mine idle for 3-4 minutes. Basically pull enrichener all the way out, fire the bike up, let it high idle for maybe 20 seconds, then push the knob back in to about 1/3, the idle will drop. I then hit the road and ride for maybe a mile then push the knob all the way in. Even then, it tends to be a bit cold blooded at low rpm, but after 5 mins of riding all is well.

Now in all fairness, I live at sea level in a very Mediterranean climate, where it does not get that cold, almost never rains, and has moderate humidity. Cold damp climate, or high & dry altitude, will certainly require a different start up routine than mine.

-JW

hbkeith

Quote from: JW113 on April 05, 2018, 08:21:40 AM
Yes the clothes pin trick works great. So does buying a new enrichener cable, as they do tend to wear out and not hold after a while, even if you tighten that plastic nut in the front to the point that it cracks. Just FYI, I don't let mine idle for 3-4 minutes. Basically pull ""ENRICHENER"" all the way out, fire the bike up, let it high idle for maybe 20 seconds, then push the knob back in to about 1/3, the idle will drop. I then hit the road and ride for maybe a mile then push the knob all the way in. Even then, it tends to be a bit cold blooded at low rpm, but after 5 mins of riding all is well.
     :up: and seems people don't understand that it is a enrichener and not a choke

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: hbkeith on April 05, 2018, 10:17:05 AM
Yes the clothes pin trick works great. So does buying a new enrichener cable, as they do tend to wear out and not hold after a while, even if you tighten that plastic nut in the front to the point that it cracks. Just FYI, I don't let mine idle for 3-4 minutes. Basically pull ""ENRICHENER"" all the way out, fire the bike up, let it high idle for maybe 20 seconds, then push the knob back in to about 1/3, the idle will drop. I then hit the road and ride for maybe a mile then push the knob all the way in. Even then, it tends to be a bit cold blooded at low rpm, but after 5 mins of riding all is well.

-JW

-JW

I tend to interchange the two terms, choke and enrichener, I understand that it is an enrichener, but performs the same function as a choke.
And the enrichener knob on mine says "Choke". I've noticed some have the symbol for choke, a picture of a choke. So really, I don't think it matters technically whether it is referred to as an enrichener or choke.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on April 05, 2018, 10:38:01 AM

-JW

-JW

I tend to interchange the two terms, choke and enrichener, I understand that it is an enrichener, but performs the same function as a choke.
And the enrichener knob on mine says "Choke". I've noticed some have the symbol for choke, a picture of a choke. So really, I don't think it matters technically whether it is referred to as an enrichener or choke.
Ditto, the SM tells you it's an enricher and on the knob...CHOKE  :doh:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

JW113

"and seems people don't understand that it is a enrichener and not a choke"

That would be the guys at Harley-Davidson Motor Company that you're referring to?

[attach=0]

:SM:

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on April 05, 2018, 12:42:48 PM

That would be the guys at Harley-Davidson Motor Company that you're referring to?

[attach=0]

-JW

I knew I'd seen that somewhere before!

david lee

the amount of people who asked me what the hell is that pink peg used for clamped on the clutch cable when not used

Hossamania

You're going to miss your little clothes pin, aren't you?

rageglide

:hyst: 

An Evo with a CV that starts with zero "choke" is jetted too rich.   My only experience with a dynojet kit was 120 miles to walking and black plugs.  But hey, it started without a choke!

cycocycle

Quick update. I fitted the Accell 8.8 plug wires. I had the carb pulled out of the manifold with everything still connected when I decided to put a new manifold rubber in and bolt it up to see if the wires made a difference. When I pushed the carb home the outer gasket surface was sitting back from the air filter backplate bracket. Approximately equal to the thickness of a spacer which was sitting redundantly between the filter backplate and the plastic intake stack. When re-located between the carb and the backplate it all made more sense. I bolted it all up and adjusted the enricher cable to allow it to stay out without the need for a clothes pin.
5 wicks of the throttle, enricher out and hit the button. It fired up and kept running. Joy of joys! I start to feed in some throttle and it died! No way would it start. Then I remembered to turn on the fuel tap!! Hit the button and were back in business.
I'll try it out over the next few weeks to see if theres any improvement. Particularly now that I know I need to fill both tanks. Thanks for the input and advice.

hbkeith

Quote from: JW113 on April 05, 2018, 12:42:48 PM

[attach=0]

-JW
:hyst: yes that is strange of the company cause they are very differant

JW113

Yo Cyco, just wondering how it is going. Am guessing that no news is good news?

cheers,
JW

david lee

-JW
would not idle without enricher on cold but would after a short time thanks jw

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on May 02, 2018, 03:02:53 PM

-JW
would not idle without enricher on cold but would after a short time thanks jw

Proper operation. Glad it's working for you.

cycocycle

The new plugs and leads along with filling both tanks and assembling the air cleaner correctly seems to have done the trick. 6 twists of the throttle, choke on hit the button and it fires up. I give it about 30 seconds the push in the choke and let it warm up with the throttle lock. It's still pretty cold natured and takes a couple of miles to fully warm up. My girlfriend and my buddy have twin cams with cvs and they fire right up. Still love my evo though. 

Hossamania

It should not take six twists of the throttle plus the choke. You should be able to justg pull the choke, maybe one or two 1/4 twists, and it fire right off. it will also be less cold blooded if you just ride it with the choke on for a while. I dont normally push mine in, it just goes in on its own. It may need a new enrichener and clean the circuit while it is out. Pretty cheap and simple to do.

JW113

:agree:

That's a lot of raw gas to be pumping into it at start up. Must shoot out a nice big black cloud, eh? So what happens if you just pull the enrichener all the way out, and hit the starter? Mine fires right up, as I think do most CV equiped models. If it really needs 6 (!) squirts from the accel pump to fire, something has to be wrong somewhere. I think. What is the temperature there?

-JW

Hossamania

Even in freezing temps, literally, I pull the enrichener, give a 1/4 turn and release, and turn over the motor. If it doesn't start in about three revolutions, I stop, another 1/4 twist to shoot a little more fuel in, and it fires right off. Do not open the throttle while cranking.