March 28, 2024, 07:04:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

143 Version 2.0

Started by HD/Wrench, April 10, 2018, 08:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twincam143

My T143 is S&S engine number 0015 has been through two rebuilds. First after 11,000km when the front big end failed. At the same time the pistons scratched heavily on the skirts scoring the bores - something im now told is common on the 143 with the thin barrels going out of round anything up to 0.006" or more. Second time on a +0.020" rebore and 8,000km the pistons again scratched with the bores heavily scored. Serious blow by and black oil. This time the rear big end failed too.
I gather there is a loooong list of 143 owners with similar stories. A mate just purchased one here in NZ, heats it up religiously before riding it, rides carefully until fully up to temp and puts a bore scope in after each ride. Same scoring marks on the bores on a few thousand km into a new motor. He is less than pleased.
GMR is doing fantastic work on this engine being posted fixing the sins inherent to it.
I had a guts full of mine and have it being rebuilt in USA by another reputable builder with a P3R crank, latest S&S oil pump, Turbo cams, custom pistons with similar new features to what GMR is doing and Darton sleeves taking it back to 134ci so as to get maximum bore stability. Also putting an Aerocharger and water/meth kit on it with big front mount intercooler.
I am very grateful to engine shops like GMR and the company who are doing mine for putting the effort into the R&D to allow us to turn these 143 into useable engines as in stock form they are kinda crap.

Durwood

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 16, 2019, 01:44:12 PM
Quote from: Durwood on April 16, 2019, 11:18:00 AM
Maybe the 68mm HPI will be at home on that big bullet. I tried one on a 124 and it was too big.

I am sure that it will work out very well on this Bullet .
i think so too.

No Cents

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 16, 2019, 08:17:29 AM
Quote from: No Cents on April 16, 2019, 07:15:45 AM
    that has got some serious power for a NA engine that is built for the street.  :up:
I can see it using at least two new rear tires in a riding season.  :wink:
Have fun with it.

Funny I was looking at the crate 143 I did with the same pipe and this one is still make more power down low and sooner as well .   We are swapping the TB out as well  the  S&S  that is currently on it has had a issue since we got the bike its leaking air badly around the blade .  So the IAC count is way off and it will not 100% target the desired RPM at idle .  It is called a correlation error the Count is at Zero but the plate is in fact still slightly open ,  All good just one last thing to correct . So for the time being back at a stand still

Speaking HPI they told me they see this all the time  with the S&S , so its getting a HPI 68 to replace the 70 , as well based on what I was told there will be no loss of Hp and more efficient mid range .. as if this thing needs more power in the mid range  :hyst: :hyst:

I had the same issue on my 66mm T/Hog with the blade not closing all the way.
The guy that ported my t/body put in an allen screw so the blade position could be adjusted to the desired position and locked in place.

[attach=0,msg1292782]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

1workinman

Quote from: Twincam143 on April 16, 2019, 01:50:19 PM
My T143 is S&S engine number 0015 has been through two rebuilds. First after 11,000km when the front big end failed. At the same time the pistons scratched heavily on the skirts scoring the bores - something im now told is common on the 143 with the thin barrels going out of round anything up to 0.006" or more. Second time on a +0.020" rebore and 8,000km the pistons again scratched with the bores heavily scored. Serious blow by and black oil. This time the rear big end failed too.
I gather there is a loooong list of 143 owners with similar stories. A mate just purchased one here in NZ, heats it up religiously before riding it, rides carefully until fully up to temp and puts a bore scope in after each ride. Same scoring marks on the bores on a few thousand km into a new motor. He is less than pleased.
GMR is doing fantastic work on this engine being posted fixing the sins inherent to it.
I had a guts full of mine and have it being rebuilt in USA by another reputable builder with a P3R crank, latest S&S oil pump, Turbo cams, custom pistons with similar new features to what GMR is doing and Darton sleeves taking it back to 134ci so as to get maximum bore stability. Also putting an Aerocharger and water/meth kit on it with big front mount intercooler.
I am very grateful to engine shops like GMR and the company who are doing mine for putting the effort into the R&D to allow us to turn these 143 into useable engines as in stock form they are kinda crap.
Yea that sums it up pretty well .

HD/Wrench

Ray .

I am at 0 IAC counts so it is also setting a code , Crazy when I was making changes to it I was puling out small amounts but it was not helping Zero in all the column's 

ECM is showing 0 iac so if that is the case how it is idling  :hyst: :hyst:  this is where it is very clear the unit is not set up correctly and my guess never was correct .  New TB was sent out yesterday from HPI !!! so I know that is one more issue I can check off on this build . At this point I hope for Jims case  that is it   :up: :up:

1workinman

April 17, 2019, 08:07:18 AM #55 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:12:06 AM by 1workinman
I knew the clutch was a problem when Steve tuned the bike last time , the TB  i fairly sure has been a problem for a while . The 143  as a engine we  shall  see how  it does after the improvements that Steve has made to it No doubt to me its smoother linear power.  As far a the other problems,  cylinders staying round , we shall see . Steve has worked hard on this project .

cheech

Quote from: 1workinman on April 16, 2019, 05:59:28 PM
Yea that sums it up pretty well .
So I take it this 143 is yours from the replies. And this reply to Twincam143's post makes me ask did you in fact have issues out of yours as he described or did you get into it to alter it  more to your "liking" so to speak? If you don't mind sharing.
There wasn't a reason given, in the beginning of thread as to why he got into it. TIA!

1workinman

I spoken to  the owner of the 143 several times . He has built a very nice bike. It was on u tube.. my bike i bought a 13 roadglide has  a  143 also.  I bought it that way ,  yea low miles and yea the pistons were as described by the owner of the other bike . I suggested  to Joe that the less than stellar manners at low speed was partly caused by the 635 camshaft. The pistons as steve described  , ect , ect ,

sfmichael

Sorry for you guys having bad luck with these high $$ motors  :emsad:

Hopefully Steve and others can sort these out and give them the life they should be capable of  :beer:

Colorado Springs, CO.

HD/Wrench

Trying to find time to get back on it I am buried under Big bore M8 installs right now I have the HPI 68 here  to replace the 70 that is junk . So its just a matter of getting it together and back on the drum . The tune is lined out very well should not be a major issue to re tune at this point .

HD/Wrench

New clutch is in and the New HPI 68 . WOW what a difference , bike fired right up IAC counts extremely close a little tweak here and there but Worlds better than the S&S . Now if it would only stop raining here and I could get into the dyno booth. Rain and lighting has been the every day deal for almost a week .

groundhog143

HD/Wrench

Mopower

No Cents

that is a tire chewer...for sure!   :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

That right there would have me in jail or at least without a drivers licence in under 7 days.  That's a pretty fine graph with a stellar report on rideability.  :up:
KD

motolocopat

:smilep:
Need a Video Clip of that one :wink:
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

jmorton10

WOW, fun ride right there.....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

IronButt70

Holy horsepower batman. :chop:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Big Dave

I cant even imagine {but i want to ) WOW
:bike:

Dave

HD/Wrench

I can get a video up its not a huge deal just idling but if I can get a go pro on it will do . Sorting out the last of the issue with the bike. We have swapped out the front end to a OEM set the old was was not playing well . odd rake angle and lack of stopping power with the old brake set up . That has been taken care of , we did all of the updating on the clutch as that was  not working in any way or form .

The new axle kit is going in today , and Twin power video team coming to shoot a video of the install .   Once that is done we are going to install new rear tire shinko hook up or the 777 ultra soft not sure which yet . .

The 70 MM FBW was swapped as it was defective .  If these engine where way more popular I would just put together a kit to make them work  HA HA toss out several things add in HPI , and smaller injectors these are way too large  they are good for 145 Hp each . HA HA so a fair bit of work around tuning was needed to get this to play well at low parking lot type RPM ranges  lugging the bike away from a stop light etc .

I plan to post up allthe pics once I get them loaded to show the new items etc . all in one post to make it easier then going back to the old ones

https://www.tucker.com/twin-power-introduces-heavy-duty-axle-and-adjuster-kits-for-2002-and-later-dresser-models/?fbclid=IwAR2pgQKI8IK1xaBreDWu2fF-Tle2VHYFGomgqzpwNnQtVTGma1cXnh_ZgaM

biggzed

I wondered if that bike had more rake in it. Always looked like it did, but wasn't sure. Did it have a set of trike trees or something similar on it?

Zach

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on May 21, 2019, 06:02:07 AM
I can get a video up its not a huge deal just idling but if I can get a go pro on it will do . Sorting out the last of the issue with the bike. We have swapped out the front end to a OEM set the old was was not playing well . odd rake angle and lack of stopping power with the old brake set up . That has been taken care of , we did all of the updating on the clutch as that was  not working in any way or form .

The new axle kit is going in today , and Twin power video team coming to shoot a video of the install .   Once that is done we are going to install new rear tire shinko hook up or the 777 ultra soft not sure which yet . .

The 70 MM FBW was swapped as it was defective .  If these engine where way more popular I would just put together a kit to make them work  HA HA toss out several things add in HPI , and smaller injectors these are way too large  they are good for 145 Hp each . HA HA so a fair bit of work around tuning was needed to get this to play well at low parking lot type RPM ranges  lugging the bike away from a stop light etc .

I plan to post up allthe pics once I get them loaded to show the new items etc . all in one post to make it easier then going back to the old ones

https://www.tucker.com/twin-power-introduces-heavy-duty-axle-and-adjuster-kits-for-2002-and-later-dresser-models/?fbclid=IwAR2pgQKI8IK1xaBreDWu2fF-Tle2VHYFGomgqzpwNnQtVTGma1cXnh_ZgaM

HD/Wrench

Quote from: biggzed on May 23, 2019, 10:26:05 AM
I wondered if that bike had more rake in it. Always looked like it did, but wasn't sure. Did it have a set of trike trees or something similar on it?

Zach

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on May 21, 2019, 06:02:07 AM

Yes it has some  sort of kit, d it would go into a head shake over 80 mph. :turd:  poor brakes in the front like a old single puck evo brake HA HA without a doubt not the New  owner's  style and thankful we removed it .  Bike rides as it should now . Again I plan to show up the pics in one section

1workinman

May 23, 2019, 12:52:47 PM #74 Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:27:37 PM by 1workinman
Thank goodness that bad handling,  poor  brakes  is gone , along with the less than stellar manners  of the stock motor