March 28, 2024, 11:02:29 PM

News:

skip on hard throttle

Started by anImel, April 14, 2018, 07:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anImel

Well crap, this is new.  So on hard throttle or even roll on throttle, at about 4k RPM or so at peak torque, I get a split second skip in drivetrain. Its like a disengagement then re-engagement. I believe it happens in more than one gear. Thoughts on what I should be looking for? Think it jumps out of gear then reingages? crank issue or primary issue? could too tight secondary chain drive be cause? I recently had HD Dealer do warranty work (which just expired) on clutch lever switch fail, and while they were doing that then tightened a loose taillight nut for me. But they had to take the rear wheel/axle/chain sprocket off to get to it. this has been happening since.  It doesn't feel like a tune issue, not sure, how would that change? maybe I rode it too hard and something is giving. Thanks.  2016 street glide.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

anImel

Quote from: Hossamania on April 14, 2018, 07:26:22 AM
Check the belt.

It's chain drive. I will check primary/secondary. It's beyond my skill beyond that.

Maybe a TTS Flight Recorder data collection may show something if it was EFI related? What would I look for?

rigidthumper

Flight recorder "generic 02 data", when you get back, compare VSS to RPM.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

remington007

6 speeds are prone to bending shift forks, especially 3rd gear. Skipping is a indication. I have a small pile of take out gearbox's for this very reason.

anImel

Definitely only skips in third gear about 4000+ rpm. Will jump in and out several times until I shift. Is this going to require entire transmission?

koko3052

It shouldn't, but the more you ride it before getting repaired, the more it will cost you.

iam4hd

I know this an old post, but I am experiencing the same exact issue with my 2012 Road Glide. I took mine apart, only found wear on the shift forks and replaced them. If I'm just cruising around I have no issues. Only happens when I hammer it. Motor is a 120 with 134/122. Did you happen to find a solution?

One4Tone

check  then the tranny chain sprokett ...a worn out or broken tooth will do the same. has your chain been streching?....check oil in tranny...my ,02'worth

C-Cat

Had the same problem on my Dyna. Dogs aren't engaging fully with collar. Had to have shim made to engage further into collar. Anytime I rolled hard in 3rd it would disengage, let off throttle reengage.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

FXDBI

Quote from: C-Cat on January 09, 2021, 12:02:06 AM
Had the same problem on my Dyna. Dogs aren't engaging fully with collar. Had to have shim made to engage further into collar. Anytime I rolled hard in 3rd it would disengage, let off throttle reengage.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the shim?  Where did you install it and how thick? TIA   Bob

C-Cat

It was in 2009 so I don't remember all the details as far as thickness and placement. I had a shop in my home state look at it without luck. Then had a shop from this forum take a stab and they replaced shifter fork, but weren't sure if it was the issue. It did work for a few hours then started popping out again, they didn't charge me for the labor, which was very decent of them. My neighbor and good friend who was a maintenance supervisor at a local soap factory thought he could fix it. So we got the gear set out and he put it up on his work bench and began shifting it. He showed me how the dogs weren't engaging very deep into the collar in 3rd gear. He machined a shim to move the dogs further into the collar to keep it engaged. Still working with 145 ft. lbs. If i remember correctly he had to recess one side of the shim in order to not contact something or another. I never had a problem until i went to a 124ci. no issues when it was a 103.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127