March 28, 2024, 04:32:38 PM

News:

volt regulator

Started by nmainehunter, April 18, 2018, 11:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmainehunter

What are you using for a 6volt regulator or relay? I need to buy something...I'm running a model 61 two brush genny

58Tin

In have a 58 with the model 58 2 brush. I am using a reproduction of the Delco-Remy 6v regulator-HD part # 74510-47A
It mounts on a bracket on the right side of the motor. Part # 74531-58 for the bracket.
So far this regulator has held up 4 or 5 years. I will try and post pics

pan620

Relay will not work with a 2 brush genny, you need a regulator, Cycle Electric has the best stuff by far!

Hillside Motorcycle

Cycle Electric is the go-to source for any charging system needs.
Threw the towel in on the Chinese components many years ago.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

August 27, 2020, 05:21:50 PM #4 Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:22:22 PM by Burnout
Will the electronic regulator 32-0056 work with a 3 brush? The catalog says it does but the instructions don't mention
I'm seeing conflicting info regarding wiring for this regulator.
The pdf I downloaded shows the switch (green) wire not used and the light connected to the arm/gen terminal.
If this is so how is the 3rd brush set? Disconnect the field wire from the gen and set for a nominal voltage (6.5v) with the lights off?
Then let the regulator fill in the rest energizing the second field coil.

Is it better to convert to a 2 brush setup with the electronic regulator?

I guess the best question is, what is the better setup? Stock?

I tried wiring it both ways and it will not put out more than ~2.1v unless the lights are on.
Then the gen light goes out and voltage comes up to 7.4v
So it seems to me that the primary or third brush winding is not working and its only charging on the switched field.

I tried to adjust the third brush but was not able to get it to move, back out to the shop after a break and take another shot at the third brush.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Bangkok BOB

Hi there.

Please take the genny and regulator to someone that knows what ther doing and has a growler to test genny.
The money spent will not be wasted on after market crap.
Delco Remy stuff is worth fixing and keep it original.

Regards,
B.B.

Burnout

After this one I'll be the go to guy...

I've just never done a 3 brush before and I'm looking for insight.

Don't need a growler as the gen works fine on the lighting field.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

ElPaso 52

With an electronic regulator you have to convert your 3 brush to 2 brush. I did this years ago on my 56FL and it allowed me to run a modern sealed battery.
Ron
56FL

rbabos

3 brush, any 6 volt tractor relay will work. It's only a switch to shut Batt + from travelling back to the generator when not charging.
Ron