March 28, 2024, 01:41:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ebeyond Question for 55 FL

Started by paysonpan, May 12, 2018, 04:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paysonpan

Fellow Panhead riders
I have finally finished my 55 FL after many years of parts collection and wrenching. ALL mechanical components are new rebuild. Bike is not even close to original but it is 99% OEM. M74 B, solids, 10 over HD jugs and pistons, all new valves, guides etc. Only non stock items are original Sifton 412 cam and an Electric Franks 12 v regulator.
I am running a one year only 65 auto advance timer(it is what I had in my pile) that is giving me fits. I can not get the thing timed right. In my research I have learned that these timers were problematic when new and worse when worn. Mine seems to have a slight bit of warpage on the plate but other wise looks fine.
I am looking at the E Beyond for ease of starting. Should I buy the one that is offered for the 65 timer or should i search out a stock manual advance timer and buy the one for it?
All advice appreciated

moose

I'm building a 50 and going with stock    I had a 65 and there is a reason it was one year only. save yourself a headache and get rid of the 65
Moose aka Glenn-

Mule

Ebeyond  units are real sensitive to impeedence mismatch, Make sure you have the right OHM coil and correct wires, otherwise you might find yourself on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

kd

The breaker "head" is somewhat the same as the early Sportster. The Sportster had a tach drive that worked well with a VDO aftermarket tach.   :wink:
KD

paysonpan

I am not 100% sold on the Ebeyond but I am tired of screwing around with the 65 timer I have.
Would you fellow pan owners recommend using a stock manual advance timer with good old points or how about a Mallory after market auto advance timer?. I had a stock manual advance in my 63 and had no issues. owned the bike for 26 years. My knee is getting old and I want to have the easiest starting machine possible. All advice appreciated

Snowyone

I went with the Ebeyond setup on my stock timer and it seams to work fine but.....it has only been started on Hiway's test stand.  Seemed to run fine but haven't got to the kick start phase.(having hell getting the engine and tranny to line up because of a Timken bearing conversion on my 53 motor)  If you go this way believe the timing has to set off the rear cylinder if my feeble brain is still working. Hope you're up and running soon.

panhead_dan

I've been having trouble timing my '50 since I bought an E Beyond. I finally gave up and used my freshly rebuilt Morris Magneto. Started right up.

kd

A mag won't retain your OEM look but it will run without a battery.  I used one before I converted to the auto advance unit that I put the Sportster shaft (broached for a tach cable) into the original worn out big twin unit I was fighting with like you.  I couldn't believe it was dimensionally the same and fit. The sportster head solved all the problems and let me run a remote VDO tach. I expect the Sportster breaker unit is still available used online.
KD

Ohio HD

Another viable option is a magneto.

It also keeps in step with a classic look from days gone by. It should help in the kick start department as well. But they are $$$$

https://www.huntmagnetos.com/products/harley-big-twin-1936-69-magneto.html

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 14, 2020, 07:23:19 AM
Another viable option is a magneto.

It also keeps in step with a classic look from days gone by. It should help in the kick start department as well. But they are $$$$

https://www.huntmagnetos.com/products/harley-big-twin-1936-69-magneto.html

That's the mag I ran.  I still have it somewhere.  I found it needed a real good hard kick to get it to fire a crisp blue spark.  That could be a problem some times so I rethought the auto advance breaker.  I think it was a good move with my '56 high compression 4 1/2" stroker but not apples to apples with a stock pan.  The friend I got it from ran it on a '50 pan but went back to the original breaker.
KD

Ohio HD

I had never experienced that with magnetos. Actually the opposite. Just cranking the motor over gave a crisp snap. Obviously they were stronger at RPM.

drifter

October 14, 2020, 05:34:55 PM #11 Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:57:02 PM by drifter
I've been running a Vulcan Engineering aluminum  timer on my Pan since I bought it in 1998, it came with it.  Mine is an early model with a chrome steel cap instead of the billet aluminum ones they sell now for $348.  Timing is easy to set, just put #1 cylinder on 35 degrees btdc, with the cap off line up the red led light with the hole in the advance unit, turn the advance to full advance and turn the timer until the light goes out, it is timed.  You can use either 3 ohm or 5 ohm coils, it doesn't care, also single fire or dual fire.  My Pan is 88 cu in kick only and my old legs have trouble just walking but I can start it easy enough.  You can look at their offerings at Vulcan.net. I believe they make most of their stuff in their machine shop in Manchester, N.H., I stopped in back in 1999.   

Excalibur

I fitted a Dyna S single fire to my '61 and really notice the difference especially with smoothness and starting. Yes it runs CW. The parts are old and came with a basket case Evo I picked up 10 years ago.
[attach=1]

RTMike

Go with the Vulcan unit,they work and look good,they go no all the generator motors I build.