spewing oil after lay-up... and how to find my old posts?

Started by 1340evo, May 13, 2018, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

guess I can do this, but would rather fix the problem if I can...

Will try clean / tap the ball... then remove it it don't work...  lets face it, new pumps arn't much but would it still happen?

bagga

Quote from: hogpipes1 on May 16, 2018, 08:37:56 PM
Simple fix , change your oil  after last ride  if it's about time . put a note on gas tank  NO OIL . put away for winter. Spring  fresh oil . Might be some blow off  but nothing  like before.
OR i put a longer  hose  into the end of  the breather  hose , higher than the  seat . After the pump is done filling the tank from the eng and the hose , its back to normal  with the temp hose off. i do this if not changing oil before i put away.   my 85 fxrt, & 2000 sporty both do it.

this is exactly what i do. the oil in to feed line is  the only oil that can be blown out. oil is cheep, fixing it isn't. my 85 fl and my shovel head both do it if they haven't been run in several months. the easiest fix is to ride it more often.
1985 flhtc
1976 fxe

1340evo

Problem is with a few cars / bikes in the collection.. unless its a really nice day, the poor Hog is left in.. I do use it a bit in summer.. but have bought a BMW GS for the rest of the riding days... and I've got to say it's so usable, its become the bike I go for :(

motorhogman

My 73 shovel used to do this.  Cured it by installing an S&S oil pump.  That was back around 1989.  Friend owns the bike now and it's still good.  He has let it set for as long as a year because of poor health.
I actually didn't change the pump just for that reason, I was doing other upgrades and while at it decided to go with the S&S pump.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

1340evo

S&S do like nice.. but quite expensive especialy in the UK

jsachs1

You're beating a dead horse.
Inspect ball for imperfections, clean seat, tap, assemble, done.
John

1340evo

So, bought 2 balls and a spring.... seated one... removed, and put in the other... all good until I look at the springs..

the one that came out was 2" long... the new one is 1.3/4" long?

TBH, the old one feels a bit lighter, the new one a bit stronger.... but I don't have standard caps either.. they are bolt head caps in place of OE ones with the slot in... I don't have the old ones so don't know how deep the counter bore is in them... but on these, the c/bore goes up into the hex a bit?
Is this why its a longer spring?... does the longer spring come with the new caps?.. not sure what make they are or anything?

Plan is to stretch the new spring to the old springs length (you don't increase the rate by doing this, only its length....)

What do you think?... why do the springs differ 1/4".. any thoughts?... or just fit it as is?... its still going to put pressure on the ball.. :)

Ohio HD

Put the spring in as is. You don't know that the one you took out is OEM, right? 

1340evo

JC 92FXRS

1340...There is no problem with your bike. Mine throws about the same amount every spring after sitting for 7 months (Canada here). Completely normal. Never throws a drop during riding season. If you want see the Evos puck oil,  put it on a trailer or the back of a truck for a few hundred miles...then you'll see oil.
Ride on sir!  :up:
If it's doing it every time you light it up, then maybe you have a problem. just my experience with mine.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

1340evo

agree.. but just a bit concerned over the spring

The guy at the shop temds to guess the bits more than look them up.. '' I've been doing this for years '' is claimed quite often...

Only thing is, I've taken bits back before that don't fit, only to find out if from a earlier / later model !!

so with the spring being a shorter length.. I kind of wondered if it was correct? especialy with it being oil pump related.. if it was something else, I may not be too concerned... but don't want to mess the oil pump up!!

hbkeith

Quote from: JC 92FXRS on May 21, 2018, 12:33:40 AM
1340...There is no problem with your bike. Mine throws about the same amount every spring after sitting for 7 months (Canada here). Completely normal. Never throws a drop during riding season. If you want see the Evos puck oil,  put it on a trailer or the back of a truck for a few hundred miles...then you'll see oil.
Ride on sir!  :up:
If it's doing it every time you light it up, then maybe you have a problem. just my experience with mine.
Cheers, Jeff
your beating a dead horse also

bobrk1

Lol had a iron head and  a shovel  had to  put  a  pan under  them to  start  the  first  time  every  year  after  that  was  fine  all season