March 28, 2024, 04:19:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 3 13/16" build

Started by J.Kinkade, May 21, 2018, 02:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Kinkade

hope can see pic's. have motor out and apart , had cases resized in Bridgeport with micro bore. am using Late EFI heads, Hammer billet manifold to allow carb. s&s premium lifters, adjustable push rods, collapsable tubes. Hammer Impact cams. Axtell 3 13/16" cast iron with JE flat tops (87c.i.d ) Bobby Wood Rebel 43.5 carb. going to use Australian made pipes, as have used them with good results at the track, before. will do a mild port job & fit 1.9" intake valves keep stock size ex valves. will set up for .600 lift. might use 1.750 ratio rocks or 1.725, just have to work out. but just want to ride in twisty's & mountains, also will take to drag strip to test & check what trap speed I can get. have 3" Hammer Sledge air cleaner ( off set ) hope to have it going by next month, waiting for parts.

rigidthumper

Should be a fun project- may I suggest a Bandit clutch to hold/use all the new found power.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hillside Motorcycle

Those 88" XL's run well.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

J.Kinkade

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 21, 2018, 08:13:39 AM
Should be a fun project- may I suggest a Bandit clutch to hold/use all the new found power.

yeh the Bandit one of the best clutch's!! I had a Bandit Super Clutch on my old kick start Shovel.

I'll try keeping the stock clutch, just add an extra stock plate ( I might have to use a surface grinder? ) reason I'll do this is, I have a Buell carb M2 and energy one clutch plates and don't care for it. I like the stock HD plates better. also had a twin cam dyna carb ( yes I'm old school ) the dyna I tried to keep looking stock . I had it performing well as was 88", when I got the HP & TQ up. At the track I was doing 1.6 60ft. then if I put it into 5th gear before speed traps clutch would slip bad ( stock clutch se spring ). so I held it in 4th & was reving to 7,200 bouncing off rev limiter in speed trap.
I was runing that way for a long time, then thought, I'll try an S&S clutch. it was a very good clutch!! but my 60ft times was not as good with the new clutch.
so this Bike I'll try stick with stock clutch ( it's a lighter bike too ) see what happens.
so not too worried about the clutch at this stage.
what I'm more worried about is the Flywheel's. but I'm lucky to have a good friend with a lot of experience with HD flywheels. so will work that out soon.
also want to keep the stock belt drive, so bit of clutch slip ok.

J.Kinkade

Quote from: Scott P on May 21, 2018, 12:53:47 PM
Those 88" XL's run well.

Thank's Scott , I'm looking forward to it.

J.Kinkade

well, heads finished & CC ed  had to inlarge chamber to drop comp to 10.5 for cam's I'm using . also fitted larger intake valves but keeping exhaust valves stock size, set up to take 650 lift using bee hive and performance 7mm after market valves ( better retainers ) had the JE piston skirts Dry Lub coated. will put all together mok up to check all clearances then build, having gear box set up for quick shifts. should be finished in a few weeks. then will ride a few thousand miles adjusting the set up. then off to long black Dyno, 1/4 mile see what trap speed is like ( I'll be a bit rusty , so not expecting quick 60ft, will just check trap speed, that will tell me what HP it makes ) tried to post pic's but said too large. so have to leave as don't know how to compress them. ( they are jpeg

J.Kinkade

Well the Build close to completion , just taking time to get it set up right.
Flywheels have been split ( press fit pin type ) the bearings and pin came out like new, but big end of rods was like an egg, fixed that and flywheels have been balanced and balance factor changed to low 50's . the crank pin has been welded in. very happy with result.
Heads are done am only using the Hammer 560 lift impact cams and fitted larger intake valves stock exhaust  , had to set up so valves had right clearance . used beehive valve springs set up for 650 lift , so the springs last longer, as I'm planing on riding this a lot of miles & riding it to the track to race . Also gear box been set up by my friend he has been drag racing Harleys and setting up there gear box's 40 years. he did my last Harleys gear box and it was the quickest smoothest shifting gear box, I've had in a HD, plus could ride long distance with it.
also had to machine bottom of the Axtell barrels as pistons 60 thou down in bore, got them up to 40 thou.
have only got duel one piece tappered end pipes will modify baffles. I'm not too worried about all out HP. I'll test and tune on a DJ250i with latest software & will be tuning to get the most HP & TQ in around 5 seconds WOT or less as found that gives me the quickest ET at drag strip. thats what I use for bragging rights not a dyno print out that just tells HP & TQ @ RPM as RPM does not tell how long it took to make the HP & TQ and in standing quarter I will only have it WOT in each gear for around 3 seconds before shifting gear, so HP & TQ that take too long to show up won't be used. just explaining how I see it.
Summer coming up here too , but it's all year riding here.

J.Kinkade

Bike is a runner, starts up easy, will be riding it next week ( it's hot here ). just got a set of one piece tappered end duel's, very solid built good chrome, a friend gave me. just have to wait till I ride it, see how they work. looking forward. also gear box rebuild gears back cut for quick shifts.
will post how it run's next week, this bike will get ridden a lot as well as taken to the drags, street class & ridden to the track ( 200 mile ride there )

Wicked

Great to see it Lakes! Awaiting on your impressions on it.....

J.Kinkade

riding it now, love it, I have to first wear piston's in as, Barrel's Nodular Iron so no expand, forged piston's expand. just have to take time wearing in. I did lot of short rides stopping to cool motor. I have not taken it over 3,000 rev yet but it pull's smooth from 2,000 rev. pull's harder 2,000 to 3,000 than the stock cam 1200 with SE air cleaner , re jetted CV40 stock header's SE slip on's and Twin Tech adjustable ing did from 3,500. have late EFI heads cleaned up performance valves bu stock size exhaust valve's, larger intake valves, bee hive springs set up for 650 lift. cams are Hammer 560 impact, at 10.5 to one, flat top piston's 40 thou squish . bobby wood 43.5 Rebel CV Hammer Billit Manifold Hammer Billit Sledge Air Cleaner, Chrome Works  one piece Duel's no cross over ( look a bit restrictive, but the way the motor pull's low rev, I like!! I had a guy here in Australia pull the late press fit pin flywheels apart inspect bearings and pin, he know's his stuff & set up for the job. he said pin & bearings like new big end of the rod's shaped like an egg, so he resized rod big end, changed balance factor of flywheels to low 50's% welded crank pin. motor feel's very smooth idles smooth too ( the idle surprises a lot as so smooth ) still got a lot of wearing in to do before I can give it a rev. but am so happy it is so nice to ride, road it the 200 mile home, the Wood's CV getting 74mpg plus look like EFI. I think when I have it run in and go past 3,000 I'll have to hold on tight.

J.Kinkade

Now have 648 miles up feels stronger all the time.
Guy who set up forks & shocks did a good job ( very firm )

1FSTRK

Great thread, wish you could get the picture posting worked out, would like to see more.
Waiting for the track results to come in, sounds like it is running strong.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

J.Kinkade

I'm not that good with computers, think it tell's me file too large, but they are compressed.
still runing motor in & rev limit set @ 4.5k , still have stock clutch, have 1,140 miles on motor will to another 1,000 mile then on my friends DJ 250i to check carbs AFR under load to about 6,000 as I don't like reving higher, at track I will probably go a bit higher in 4th gear as think I'll go through speed trap in fourth then pull clutch. just have to wait see.

Hillside Motorcycle

When we raced CE Class AHDRA, there was a cat that had an 88" XL that ran right on the 10.30 number very consistently.
On-board electric starter as well.
Just sent an 88" XL home to Rochester, NY, last Saturday.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

J.Kinkade

December 05, 2018, 11:14:09 PM #14 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:18:32 PM by J.Kinkade
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on November 30, 2018, 03:56:08 AM
When we raced CE Class AHDRA, there was a cat that had an 88" XL that ran right on the 10.30 number very consistently.
On-board electric starter as well.
Just sent an 88" XL home to Rochester, NY, last Saturday.

That's really moving!  what 60ft times? & what trap speeds? I'll be a happy man to run low 11's, & I'll be all smiles if I could break into high10's!!
good to see more 88" XL's out there!! I got a good friend about to go 88" in a year 2000 XL he has XB heads same barrels & pistons as me but he is going to use S&S 600 cam's & he has AIM pressure plate.
I now have 1,800 miles on mine rev limit still set at 4.5k still have stock clutch so just riding her normal. I love it!! pulls strong in 5th and stock gearing. I'm riding her the 200 mile up to the big smoke next week, to pull stock clutch put in an SE 9 plate, set rev limit up to 6.5 and check the jetting in the woods Rebel 435 carb, I got the new pipes from a friend they are like new. very well built chrome tapered end Duels no cross over and one piece look restrictive, but it sounds good and pulls good to 4.5k.  I have the Hammer impact 560 cams & S&S premium lifters ( nice & quite ) hammer billet manifold & Hammer offset sledge air cleaner.

what cam's & carb ( or EFI )  & pipes did the set up u just sent out have?
thank's

Hillside Motorcycle

42 Mikuni, and a Bassani 2/1.

J.Kinkade

Sounds like would be quick!!
I had the woods 43.5 rebel carb ( owned it many years now ) so used it, might have more air than I need but. It's working , the pipes I have duel's tappered end chrome works ( look  restrictive in baffles ) that's what I had so used them. I have enough miles up now ( 3,000 miles ) but still have not had a chance to take it flat out. only taken it to 5,000 but it pull's strong all the way. the bike feels good, handles good & I can get it out the hole quick off light's. shifts quick too. so hope to get up to Sydney Dragway one bike night to  see what speed I can do in quarter to work put HP I have. If I'm lucky I might do an ok 60ft and ok ET, but have not been to the track in over a year. so just wait n see.

J.Kinkade

Update,
Motor runing very strong. have not got chance to get to the track with it yet, have not yet checked AFR ( wood Rebel 43.5 cv ) or had it on a Dyno, but it pull's the stock xlh1200 gearing like it is low geared. I really like riding it and it feels smoother than when it was stock 1200. my friend done a good job on the gear box and it shift's gear really quick and without using the clutch or cut out just back off & foot shift & goes through gears quick & positive , all stock gear box. the SE extra plate clutch working good & just have the Harley formal oil also just using stock pressure plate so stock like clutch pull. it is quick out the hole off the lights. so looking forward to when I can get to the track. I've been riding the twists a lot and gave a guy on a KTM 1270?? adventure bike a surprise last week. but still needs sorting a bit have not got steering damper or fork brace but think I'll look for a fork brace soon ( rough Australian roads!! ) I have now ridden it 10,000 kilometres

speedzter

March 09, 2019, 03:24:03 PM #18 Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:42:05 PM by speedzter
J.K , Good to here its running well.
I wouldn't be game to do 10k kms on a new build without checking AFR's.
Just shows you how forgiving the old CV carb can be !
I know we did it in the old days, but now I'm spoilt with a portable logging AFR gauge !

I have a steering damper and fork brace on my Dyna for that reason (bad roads).
Those KTM's are super fast. around 130hp/80tq at the wheels,and 200kg dry.
I bet he wasn't expecting a crazy old bugga on a sporty !!  :up:

J.Kinkade

March 13, 2019, 04:38:08 PM #19 Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:44:22 PM by J.Kinkade
Hey Speedster, thank's.
yeh probably did  :hyst: , the old Bobby Wood CV's are pretty good out the box, did low 11's @ 120mph on a street ridden  FXD 2001 Twin Cam with same carb same jetting. it had sonic one piece duels no balance tube same style pipe this sporty has. but after I finish moving to new place ( sold place , bought new place have to move soon ) I'll put on DJ250i that has the real time afr and latest software, it's a bit mean giving out horses. but they way I look at it, I just want to use it to tune .  then I'll take it to the track test it there, will mostly just be checking what trap speed it can do as that will tell me all I want to know. not sure how quick I can do 60' in, but I've always had a quick reaction time, but that only helps when bracket racing. anyway it will be interesting to se what ET I can do. I can shift it quick clutchless just back off quick hit shift with foot.