May 04, 2024, 11:23:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

The silence of S&S

Started by Will-Run, June 03, 2018, 02:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will-Run

When the M8 first came out , S&S is said to have bought two , right off the trailer. It's been a couple years , and we've
not heard a Peep, from them. What do you think is happening?....... M8 Crate Motor ? or ???????.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

Princess Butt

Building a replica of the M8 engine isn't a big deal.

Building and marketing an M8 engine which doesn't violate the patents HD has, well, that's going to take a bunch of lawyers and money.

My guess is big inch stroker kits. Probably in durability testing now.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

cmashark

I know they are about to release their oil pump and cam plate for the M8...
2021 FLHXSE

happyman

Quote from: Princess Butt on June 03, 2018, 03:25:50 PM

Building and marketing an M8 engine which doesn't violate the patents HD has, well, that's going to take a bunch of lawyers and money.

My guess is big inch stroker kits. Probably in durability testing now.

S&S ever build a 8 valve before  with single cam?      HD did it bout 100 years ago or so but curious if S&S has

Sunny Jim

I was hoping to see their version of piston and cylinder kits by now.

Ohio HD

Maybe they're waiting to see a reboot of the Twin Cam motor as an HD, SE motor upgrade.....     :smileo:

1FSTRK

I heard they pulled the bikes apart only to find what every HD dealer will tell you for free;
The M-8 bikes are flawless and can not be improved upon.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Will-Run

I was hoping maybe a crate M8 with cases that wouldn't sump or transfer. A motor like this wouldn't impinge on HD patents.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

1FSTRK

So you think HD patented both the sumping and the trans fluid transfer technology?  :hyst:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rigidthumper

Well, it's said, that they do have more lawyers. than engineers. ;)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

happyman

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 03, 2018, 06:10:18 PM
Well, it's said, that they do have more lawyers. than engineers. ;)
Several  times more!

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 03, 2018, 06:03:30 PM
So you think HD patented both the sumping and the trans fluid transfer technology?  :hyst:
Wouldn't surprise me. Make one sump more and they'd unleash the hounds. :hyst:
Ron

SoZo

I hear cylinders are  on the way

BVHOG

The S&S rep was at my shop last month, while they can't divulge specifics they are working on cylinders and oil pump/plate setups.  They already have a great product in the lifter alignment blocks and have had gear drive as well as chain drive cams out for quite some time. Also have a really nice line of exhaust.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

joe_lyons

Heard through the grapevine that S&S is supposed to have their cam plates and oil pumps ready to go by the first week of July.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

happyman

Quote from: joe_lyons on June 08, 2018, 08:11:29 AM
Heard through the grapevine that S&S is supposed to have their cam plates and oil pumps ready to go by the first week of July.

I take it the cases on the M8 are ok? Thought I read there may be issues with positioning of the different orfices  pick and return?

Prostock

Drag has S&S cam plates/oil pumps in there system
Water Cooled #0932-0213
Oil Cooled      #0932-0214
Expected date July 9th

PoorUB

My bet we will not see any M8 engines from S&S, at least for some time. Plus I bet they don't want to build something then have to play with HD's attorneys.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

happyman

Quote from: PoorUB on June 08, 2018, 10:32:53 AM

My bet we will not see any M8 engines from S&S, at least for some time. Plus I bet they don't want to build something then have to play with HD's attorneys.
Maybe some quality cylinders and pistons??

bobrk1

I'm  in  laconia  now  went  to  the  track  S &S had a  set up last  year  didn't  have  one  yesterday  maybe  they  haven't  gotten  here  yet 

hd06myway

it'll be years before S&S can build an M8 replica due to patents...

PoorUB

Also my bet is they want to make sure the M8 is going to be around for a while. As an aftermarket supplier you sure don't want to dump a bunch of money in engineering for an engine that is around for 3-4 years.

Could you imagine the first year out S&S building 114" big bore cylinders for the 107" M8?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FLDavetrain

S&S first should work to make their current parts more reliable.
currently 510ci on tap

98fxstc

Quote from: FLDavetrain on July 31, 2018, 04:32:24 PM

I am curious
What have you had trouble with ?

FLDavetrain

Quote from: 98fxstc on July 31, 2018, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: FLDavetrain on July 31, 2018, 04:32:24 PM

I am curious
What have you had trouble with ?

Thanks for your interest. Not uncorking those wounds here. I'll just leave it at my original statement is accurate and in my cases there was forensic proof, and at least warranties honored.
currently 510ci on tap

Ohio HD

Why would you bring something up, and then say I don't want to talk about it.....      :missed:

FLDavetrain

Keeping my issues w SnS behind me. As for the OP, maybe the firing of half their engineering team in recent past has slowed the M8 options from them.
currently 510ci on tap

cheech

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 31, 2018, 07:52:27 PM
Why would you bring something up, and then say I don't want to talk about it.....      :missed:
:agree: Yeah classic! Forum to discuss and alert others onto issues and such.

KTA600

Nothing but good stuff out of S&S since 1970 on pans  sports shovels Evos twinks and now M8 something I can't say with others. So reliability? I'll just toss that one in the troll pile .

FLDavetrain

Quote from: KTA600 on August 03, 2018, 04:37:29 AM
Nothing but good stuff out of S&S since 1970 on pans  sports shovels Evos twinks and now M8 something I can't say with others. So reliability? I'll just toss that one in the troll pile .

Well, ok so my experience makes me a troll...wow sure. Too bad for these  internet types of call outs. It'd be much better in a perfect world face to face, then you would know that unlike a troll I am 6'1" 215lbs 19" biceps and a 6 pack, so show a little respect.
currently 510ci on tap

98fxstc

nasty taste in my mouth from an S&S experience
Most of their stuff is pretty good but comes time to stand up they didn't
maybe a bit more arm's length in Australia
know another here with similar experience

Nastytls

Quote from: FLDavetrain on August 03, 2018, 09:36:03 PM

Well, ok so my experience makes me a troll...wow sure. Too bad for these  internet types of call outs. It'd be much better in a perfect world face to face, then you would know that unlike a troll I am 6'1" 215lbs 19" biceps and a 6 pack, so show a little respect.

Honestly, what did you think was going to happen when you post something intentionaly negative and vague then refuse to offer any information about it. Maybe you don't have lots of on-line forum experience? I don't know. By definition that is "trolling". No reason to be a hardo.

P.S. That is one of the funniest replies I've seen in a very long time. I'm 6'7", 265ish have a small beer belly and have 24" pythons brother! Hahaha   :hyst:

hattitude

Quote from: Nastytls on August 04, 2018, 04:42:41 AM

Honestly, what did you think was going to happen when you post something intentionaly negative and vague then refuse to offer any information about it. Maybe you don't have lots of on-line forum experience? I don't know. By definition that is "trolling". No reason to be a hardo.

P.S. That is one of the funniest replies I've seen in a very long time. I'm 6'7", 265ish have a small beer belly and have 24" pythons brother! Hahaha   :hyst:

As mentioned.... you bring up a negative experience and then refuse to share info... that's trolling..

You probably won't get it, but I'll say it anyways..... size doesn't command respect.... character does....

Don D

I was told at sturgis the silence is about to be broken

yobtaf103

hd06myway

Quote from: PoorUB on July 31, 2018, 01:21:28 PM
Also my bet is they want to make sure the M8 is going to be around for a while. As an aftermarket supplier you sure don't want to dump a bunch of money in engineering for an engine that is around for 3-4 years.

Could you imagine the first year out S&S building 114" big bore cylinders for the 107" M8?

and that's the thing UB..these aftermarket mfgers will have to make 124" or 130" big bore kits to generate any interest... like Baker's 7 speed when 6 is one more than most need... and then you guys can buy them and complain about how unreliable the M8's are..  :wink: the days of Harley holding back so the aftermarket can make "performance" kits is over when your selling 107", 114" 117" and 120" engines in factory bikes.

Ohio HD

Quote from: hd06myway on August 10, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

and that's the thing UB..these aftermarket mfgers will have to make 124" or 130" big bore kits to generate any interest... like Baker's 7 speed when 6 is one more than most need... and then you guys can buy them and complain about how unreliable the M8's are..  :wink: the days of Harley holding back so the aftermarket can make "performance" kits is over when your selling 107", 114" 117" and 120" engines in factory bikes.

Except you have one company that makes 143" motors, they now have a test bed and platform to build on. Another company has a 151" motor in the works and in R&D on the streets for the new platform. 

Aftermarket will always have the better options. 

And don't forget better oil pumps that will control sumping........         

hd06myway

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 10, 2018, 01:35:58 PM

Except you have one company that makes 143" motors, they now have a test bed and platform to build on. Another company has a 151" motor in the works and in R&D on the streets for the new platform. 

your talking a whole new motor and reliability and street performance? I don't think you'll very many of these sold... most people could care less...

Ohio HD

Quote from: hd06myway on August 12, 2018, 08:29:35 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on August 10, 2018, 01:35:58 PM

your talking a whole new motor and reliability and street performance? I don't think you'll very many of these sold... most people could care less...

Well, this is a tech site, so many do care. And from performance proven motors, comes reliable aftermarket parts.

As well this post is about aftermarket parts.

hd06myway

Well I hope they have other products to sell because 143" and 151" motors aren't going to feed the family...

Reddog74usa

If I were S&S I'd think long and hard before I offered up options on such a proven unreliable platform like the M-8 as it would only make S&S look bad and incline folks to blame their parts instead of H-D. As far as putting food on the table the moco better get this crap squared away and super fast or the'll be eyein up Alpo like it was a delicacy.  :smiled:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hossamania

S&S has always made products to improve the unreliable platforms that HD has put forth. Damn good products, too.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Guys there's just no way I'd buy a new HD, knowing I won't be happy with how it runs. Even if there were no issues, they are ok for some, but not me. To much money to spend knowing I'll put another $5k to $8k in it to make it run decent, and have a drivetrain to handle the power. Companies like S&S, Zippers, Hyperformance, etc. is who keeps people like me on an HD.

1workinman

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 15, 2018, 03:16:39 PM
Guys there's just no way I'd buy a new HD, knowing I won't be happy with how it runs. Even if there were no issues, they are ok for some, but not me. To much money to spend knowing I'll put another $5k to $8k in it to make it run decent, and have a drivetrain to handle the power. Companies like S&S, Zippers, Hyperformance, etc. is who keeps people like me on an HD.
:agree:

motolocopat

This is so funny . .  are you really serious?
We need you to post more so we can all get a good laugh :wink:
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Brrrap

Curiosity has me wondering;  Wouldn't Bertha love someone like that?  :smilep:
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

TA63

:hyst:

IronButt70

Quote from: motolocopat on August 25, 2018, 03:30:17 PM
This is so funny . .  are you really serious?
We need you to post more so we can all get a good laugh :wink:
:wwp:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

yobtaf103

107-124" Winter power package's now listed on their site ,discounted 1st Oct-31st Jan

HarleyFranco

QuoteWhy would you bring something up, and then say I don't want to talk about it.....

My wife does this all the time!   :soda:

Nastytls

Quote from: yobtaf103 on October 01, 2018, 11:36:27 AM
107-124" Winter power package's now listed on their site ,discounted 1st Oct-31st Jan

Looks like they only sell them as a kit, I don't see an option to buy just the cylinders/pistons.

92flhtcu

Jug and Slug kits will follow after the winter special, just like the roll-out of the Twin Cam Power Pkg's
Need a bigger garage

92flhtcu

I was wrong, 107 to 124 as well as 114 to 128 Jug and Slug kits for M8's will be last week Nov/First week Dec at Tucker
#483256 thru 483261

M8 107 to 124"   Winter Power Pkg's are #483869 thru 483878
Need a bigger garage